Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1490407 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Freedom Megathread- Explosions and PBR Edition
« Reply #2940 on: July 16, 2015, 06:59:39 pm »

Define what a fundamental right is, and I will get back to you. Ultimately, with a democratically elected government (or democratically biased republic, like the US), the real deal is upholding the populace's views.

Constitution, federalist papers, rights of man, rule of law over the mob, yada yada yada
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: July 16, 2015, 07:53:16 pm »

Define what a fundamental right is, and I will get back to you. Ultimately, with a democratically elected government (or democratically biased republic, like the US), the real deal is upholding the populace's views.

Constitution, federalist papers, rights of man, rule of law over the mob, yada yada yada

It's almost like we have these well-established principles documented as a basis for discussion, or something.

Not related to the current discussion, but likely to come up in national politics sooner or later: Big shooting down here in Chattanooga, TN. Two sites targeted (Army recruiting center and Navy reserve office), four Marines dead, one Chattanooga Police Officer and one military service member wounded, and the shooter killed.

A little scary for me. I grew up in Chattanooga and my dad still lives there, so as soon as I started seeing "Lee Highway" and places I remembered I got worried. My dad was out of town for this, but he plays tennis and buys groceries right near where one of the shootings happened. Way too close to home.

And of course, it's gotta be another muslim shooter. *sigh* And likely motivated by radical Islam, as this is the last day of Ramadan. I know it sounds fucked up, but I was really hoping it was a white guy.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: July 16, 2015, 08:01:51 pm »

Well, if it means anything, there's been at least a hundred and eighty other mass shootings this year, so far. Plenty of white folks to choose from in that mess. 'Course, this one'll get more news than most of those, but *shrugs*
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: July 16, 2015, 08:12:17 pm »

Yea but horses don't step on the middle class and cut education/NASA funding!
We should get Seabiscuit as the POTUS.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: July 16, 2015, 08:21:16 pm »

On a less depressing note than Frumple's, how awesome would be it if this actually happened. (It has like zero chance of happening.)

What I love about it is the petition is so carefully written. There's only the faintest hint of irony in it and it's entirely fair, respectful and positive.

But seriously, it's a giant middle finger to white supremacists of the old guard. :P
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: July 16, 2015, 08:43:41 pm »

Not related to the current discussion, but likely to come up in national politics sooner or later: Big shooting down here in Chattanooga, TN. Two sites targeted (Army recruiting center and Navy reserve office), four Marines dead, one Chattanooga Police Officer and one military service member wounded, and the shooter killed.

A little scary for me. I grew up in Chattanooga and my dad still lives there, so as soon as I started seeing "Lee Highway" and places I remembered I got worried. My dad was out of town for this, but he plays tennis and buys groceries right near where one of the shootings happened. Way too close to home.

And of course, it's gotta be another muslim shooter. *sigh* And likely motivated by radical Islam, as this is the last day of Ramadan. I know it sounds fucked up, but I was really hoping it was a white guy.

I live in the Hixson area - and my parents both work at Chattanooga State, not far along Amnicola from where the Navy center is. My Dad heard about it real early when they were sending out lockdown alerts for the campus, which thankfully, neither was on.

Way too close to home is right.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 08:45:39 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

cherry-hearts

• Bay Watcher
  • Best Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: July 17, 2015, 01:28:56 am »

I myself can't wait for the upcoming presidential election, and it will actually be my first. Having reviewed its platform, I have concluded that the Constitution Party has the best interests of the country and the continuance of our values at heart. I have already ordered my Scott Copeland t-shirt :).
"Un estado totalitario armonizará en España el funcionamiento de todas las capacidades y energías del país, que dentro de la Unidad Nacional, el trabajo estimado como el más ineludible de los deberes será el único exponente de la voluntad popular."
—Francisco Franco

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: July 17, 2015, 02:59:00 am »

Well, if it means anything, there's been at least a hundred and eighty other mass shootings this year, so far. Plenty of white folks to choose from in that mess. 'Course, this one'll get more news than most of those, but *shrugs*

But the highest fatalities was 9. Everyone's trying to get the magic 10.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2948 on: July 17, 2015, 03:07:49 am »

Damn man that is fucked up

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: July 17, 2015, 12:12:36 pm »

If only those Marines had been armed...

I think what nenjin was trying to say was that if it had been a white guy, we could all have rested easy in the knowledge that he was obviously a crazy lone wolf and definitely not a terrorist. But because he's a Muslim Arab-American, it's a reminder of the existential threat that all brown people pose to America. (note -- I am not saying nenjin thinks this way)

In more pedestrian election news, three main items:

1. Polls. I won't post all the polls this week, just highlight the major points.

First, for the second consecutive national-level poll, Donald Trump is leading the GOP race, at 18%. The race seems to be seperating into a front-3 of Trump, Bush and Walker (all with 14-18% polling numbers) and everyone else (<10%). Bush is leading in Virginia at 18%, with Walker and Trump tied for 2nd at 14%.

Second, gravity seems to be reasserting itself on Bernie Sanders. Clinton is reliably holding any where between a 35-to-50 point lead over Bernie in polls.

Third, Clinton is still reliably trouncing any of her potential GOP rivals. Bush and Rubio look the strongest against her. Trump loses in a landslide.

2. Fundraising. The campaigns had to release their Q2 fundraising numbers to the public this week, and there's a few surprises, some not-at-all-surprises, and some why-is-this-shit-legal headshakers.

If you look at just the campaign committees, Hillary Clinton raised more than any other candidate, GOP or Democrat. By a factor or 3 or more. The Clinton campaign raised 47.5 million over three months, while the next closest candidate was Bernie Sanders with 15.2 million. The highest GOP fundraiser was Ted Cruz at 14.3 million.

BUT (and this is a Kim Kardashian-sized but) if you include SuperPAC money (and you totally should), then Jeb Bush outstrips everyone. His official campaign has only raised $11.4 million -- and I'm sure his campaign will try to make something out of his "underdog" status in their campaign literature -- but his associated SuperPAC (The Right To Rise PAC) raised $103 million, most of that while Bush wasn't even an official candidate. To give you an idea of how much that is, Hillary Clinton's campaign war chest PLUS her SuperPAC money only totals $63.1 million, and she had the highest combined total of any candidate after Bush. More on Bush's SuperPAC fuckery below.

It's impressive that Sanders has hit $15 million considering he has no SuperPAC at all, and most of his cash has come from small-time donors (<$200 contributions). Both Sanders and Ben Carson got more than 80% of their campaign donations from small donors. Bush and Clinton, as you'd expect from establishment candidates, are getting most of theirs from large donors.

Should also be noted that Kasich, Walker, Christie and Webb didn't file as candidates before the end of Q2, so they won't report until October. In fact, I'd wager that avoiding the early financial reports may have been why Walker stayed out as long as he did.

But money is only useful if you spend it. And what kills many campaigns is burning through it too fast without generating the momentum to get more down the road. High "burn rates" can be an indicator of a moonshot campaign, where they're gambling on an aggressive early strategy and then will have to fold if they don't score an early primary win. Based on that, Ben Carson and Rick Santorum may not even make it to the debates, much less the primaries.

Carson raised a much more respectable $10.6 million, but he's already burned through $5.9 million of that. Carson's poll numbers are far better (4-10%, average of 7%) and he should be on the debate stage. Carson's campaign is basically on life support. If he has a strong showing at the debates, the campaign could get an infusion of new cash. If not, he might need to pull the plug.

Santorum raised only ~$600,000 and has already spent $400,000 of that. And he's currently polling around 1-2%, not even enough to make the debate cut. If Carson's campaign is on life support, Santorum's is in hospice care, just waiting for the inevitable.

Trump raised a paltry sum of $1.9 million and has already spent $1.4 million, but he's a special case. In case he hasn't reminded you a thousand times by now, he's "really rich". So fundraising really isn't a concern for him, if he's serious about seeing this thing through. That's a bigger advantage than it might seem. Not only does it mean that he doesn't have to cater to particular well-heeled consituencies, but it's time and effort he doesn't have to spend. Fundraising is the #1 timesink of political campaigns, and the majority of the money raised goes to fund campaign efforts...to raise more money. It's sort of a hideous cycle that Trump can sidestep and focus entirely on self-promotion (which the man has spent his entire professional career doing) and attacking others.

3. Bush's SuperPAC. I'm giving this its own section, because this shit takes the Citizens United decision and pours fucking wasabi-infused lemon juice on the wound. According to some reports, the Bush campaign plans on turning over most of the campaign activity (fundraising, canvassing, etc.) to the Right to Rise PAC. Which has no limits on contributions. Also, one of Bush's friends and former staffers has created a non-profit group called Right to Rise Policy Solutions, which would allow donors to even bypass the reporting requirements on SuperPACs. If a business or individual wanted to dump $100 million into the Bush campaign, but not get any kind of PR blowback (for the donor or the Bush campaign), they could "donate" that money to the non-profit (completely unreported to the FEC), which then in turn donates that $100 million to the SuperPAC, but the name is only going to show up as the non-profit, not the original donor. It's basically electoral money laundering. Potentially, this could even allow foreign donations, because the money flowing into the non-profit is completely untracked by the FEC.

I gotta hand it to him, that is slick as hell. Also, ethically and morally bankrupt and borderline illegal. But slick. If it proves effective, say hello to the new model for American political campaigns, which would finish gutting any trace of campaign finance reform in the US. I'm not even sure what functions would be left to the "main" campaign committee. Internal polling and making appearances, I guess. They're not allowed to coordinate with the SuperPAC, but you really don't need to coordinate with get-out-the-vote efforts or fundraising (most of which goes to fuel fundraising, as I pointed out earlier) or push-polling or campaign ads (whether attack or self-promo).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: July 17, 2015, 01:38:18 pm »

Redking, I'm pretty sure Nenjin remarked on that because if it had been a white guy there at least wouldn't be any blanket Muslim-shaming over this like every other goddamn shooting that happens in this country, since for some reason everyone here will blame the race, religion, and ethnic origin of every shooter unless they're white.

^

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: July 17, 2015, 01:55:36 pm »

That's what RedKing said, near as I can tell - just in a way that satirizes the xenophobes more than tries to be straightforward.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: July 17, 2015, 01:56:32 pm »

That's more or less what I was saying, albeit I was being more sarcastic.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: July 17, 2015, 02:04:30 pm »

So, in other news, No Child Left Behind is looking due for an overhaul, and there's actually bipartisan support for it.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: July 17, 2015, 02:19:16 pm »

After months of anticipation—and nearly a decade of neglect—No Child Left Behind’s demise is closer than ever to becoming a reality.
Praise Zeus, Buddallah, and Satan! Going to still be a bit, and there's yet no telling if what's replacing it will actually improve things, but gods fuck would it be good news that Bush's embuggering of the US education system has finally been fornicated off into oblivion. Assuming the new system doesn't end up worse, there's going to be a lot of happier teachers out there in the relatively near future. Probably happier students, too.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 1342