Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491335 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Out today!
« Reply #720 on: May 24, 2016, 07:49:59 pm »

Tip: Just don't play the tutorial.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: May 24, 2016, 08:11:53 pm »

Buffed up Lords become literal Damage Sponges later on. If you stack a decent amount of Meele Defence and Armor onto one, they will take an INCREDIBLE amount of punishment before going down.

I think the general "Lord Balance" is a bit whack at the moment. Grimgor is a very angry, green mass murderer right out of the gate. While Azhag has to hide like a little girl in most fights because he tanks like a wet tissue and hits like blind stuntie without arms. Maybe its to make up for the fact that later Azhag get's to ride a Mount and cast.
Same goes for Mannfred vs Kemmler. The former plows trough entire stacks without breaking a nail, while the latter usually get's a comfy seat somewhere behind the lines and cast something occasionally.

The AI also carried over some bad habits from previous TW games. Greenskins vs Dwarves is supposed to be an obvious Quantity vs Quality game. But the AI controlled Dwarves seem to conjure money literally out of the ther to sustain same sized armies as me. Once you border on multiple Dwarv Factions, you have to deal with full stacks of bearded murderers every couple turns, with barely a moment of respite. It's sad that only Chaos get's the Horde mechanic. I'd actually like it if you could opt to not bother holding stuff with Greenskins and instead focus on raiding/sacking.

Don't take that as a really bad point tough. The battles that I got out of the game are beyond entertaining, they nailed the atmosphere pretty well. And the game is just... surprisingly good in general, considering we're talking about CA here.

Mannfred is an immortal vampire lord and one of the most powerful beings in the world, Kemmler is just a necromancer, he isn't even a vampire.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: May 24, 2016, 08:14:12 pm »

Is Mannfred that guy in the pen and paper game who has a one hit kill stare down attack?

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: May 24, 2016, 08:14:32 pm »

That and he buffs up troops just by being there, you've got a frontline commander and one that's more of a buffer/caster typically.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: May 24, 2016, 08:42:23 pm »

That and he buffs up troops just by being there, you've got a frontline commander and one that's more of a buffer/caster typically.
Chaos seems to be the exception, with all three being melee monsters of varying degrees of metaphor.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: May 24, 2016, 09:33:08 pm »

Weird:  Setting it to high and ticking unlimited video memory to make it use RAM (I assume?) runs faster than letting it downgrade graphics.

Frustrating that Denuvo's causing problems.  On the bright side, word on the street is that 3DM has it beat and is just keeping it on the DL so the developers don't know what to patch.

Archaon is sick.  Abaddon but competent.  Playing anybody else aside from maybe Kholek Suneater would feel weird.  Sigmund or whatever definitely doesn't feel like the world-ending warmaster of chaos the setting demands.
Shoes...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: May 24, 2016, 09:39:03 pm »

Sigmund or whatever definitely doesn't feel like the world-ending warmaster of chaos the setting demands.
Sigvald may not be that, but he is fabulous enough to compensate for it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: May 24, 2016, 09:47:18 pm »

Also is there a purpose to the narrator not becoming a vampire? is there something an old feable man who may die at any moment that a super powered vampire cannot?

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: May 25, 2016, 12:24:59 am »

Considering this 'Advisor' can join with the Greenskins without being harmed or really noticed, it's likely that there's something very strange about him to begin with.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: May 25, 2016, 01:09:55 am »

Considering this 'Advisor' can join with the Greenskins

What? Humans can't be with Orcs, that is just weird :P

Calling it! He isn't human!

Otherwise he would have contracted a horrible rash and died.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 01:13:14 am by Neonivek »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: May 25, 2016, 01:55:00 am »

The Empire campaign gets pretty crazy the later you go into the game. You constantly don't have enough money and you have to fight so many things at once. Chaos assholes razing all your settlements in the north. Vlad being a douche in the East. Bretonnia acting like twerps in the West. Your own goddamn elector counts constantly dragging you into shit you don't want to be in.

And the worst part is the distance you have to travel. The Empire itself is frigging massive. It takes forever to run from one side to another trying to staunch threats before another asshole razes another settlement because he could.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: May 25, 2016, 02:01:43 am »

Isn't that exactly what the Empire is supposed to feel like?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: May 25, 2016, 02:06:37 am »

It's quite fun. At the moment I'm constantly pestering Hochland and Ostermark to try and join in a military alliance, but they both keep stubbornly refusing. My diplomats must be like "Can't you see the burning plains that were Kislev? You think you can stand against that alone?"
Also dwarfs tromping through my lands with holds I can't reasonably attack without committing a full army. Stirland keeps stirring up trouble with them.

I do like that they gave the Kislev diplomat an accent.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: May 25, 2016, 02:15:23 am »

Isn't that exactly what the Empire is supposed to feel like?
Yeah more or less. It's pretty amusing though a bit stressful.

I imagine they're probably the hardest faction to play. I really cannot imagine the other dudes being harder than them.

By the way, once you get big enough, all the elector counts will beg to be under your rule. This isn't a particularly great thing though as the only real benefits are you get some nicely levelled lords (though the AI likes to randomly level) and all their holdings without having to fight for them.

However, you get a pretty huge public order penalty for all your holdings for 5 turns and all the other elector counts will hate you temporarily. Also now you have all these random holdings that are barely protected along with all these random lords sitting about that you have to sort out. I honestly think it's a bigger headache than it's worth. I'd rather conquer them slowly and guarantee my control and money rather than that. Since when you conquer holdings yourself you get loot to help build the buildings and stuff not to mention you get levels and experience and so on.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: May 25, 2016, 03:57:39 am »

Chaos is pretty hard.  It might be easier with Kholek, being a giant kill everything monster, but it's tough.  They're the Attila threat, but they start out so weak that it's hard to even get on your feet.  The horde thing means you also don't really have any base to fall back on if you get fucked up, unless you keep your LL back and use him as a mobile base behind enemy lines -- a decent reason to start with Sigvald I guess, just so your badder LLs can be up on the front lines.

Also, since this seems to be an End Times game if not in name, with Archaon and Grimgor and all the Big Bads, I wonder if the Vampire campaign will have Nagash returning as a late-game event.

Also, anybody know who Not Medivh is supposed to be?  Absent any other evidence, I'm guessing he's Tzeentch or associated with Tzeentch.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 04:01:03 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 277