Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 58

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 82806 times)

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2015, 01:28:14 am »

Just finished The Bridge by Jane Higgins for school. The plot was decent but I didn't particularly like her style of writing.

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2015, 09:09:14 am »

Well, currently looking for book 9(?) from the Skulduggery Pleasant series, which I absolutely adore, by the way.
Yippee! It gets a bit weird (in my opinion) but anyway not important.

"The sparrow flies south for winter"

Punches everyone who doesn't know what that means.

Anyone read Joe Abercrombie recently?

Yes. Love him. I just bought The Heroes, (I think) but I haven't read it yet.
Well I loved it. Hope you do too. Are you reading the Shattered Sea series too?

No. I wasn't even aware it existed yet. I have so much to read, but so little time. I'll add it to my list.

Well I think it's brilliant, still prefer Glokta though. Second book is supposed to be out on the 12th.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2015, 09:39:36 am »

I get it.
That's from, IIRC, book 6, right?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2015, 07:25:00 am »

I get it.
That's from, IIRC, book 6, right?
I don't have my books to hand, but I think so.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2015, 09:10:01 am »

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Well, I say 'reading'. I've been nursing the book for 4 days and I'm 5 pages in. Somehow don't have the concentration for reading anymore, even though I used to read a LOT years ago. ¬¬ Do you ever get when you've read a whole paragraph and realise you didn't take in a single word of it? It's like that. Except you read the paragraph again and it still doesn't sink in. How useful.  :-\

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2015, 10:04:16 am »

Well, I say 'reading'. I've been nursing the book for 4 days and I'm 5 pages in. Somehow don't have the concentration for reading anymore, even though I used to read a LOT years ago. ¬¬ Do you ever get when you've read a whole paragraph and realise you didn't take in a single word of it? It's like that. Except you read the paragraph again and it still doesn't sink in. How useful.  :-\

On the bright side, you are now immune to written propaganda.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2015, 07:03:58 pm »

I see we shall have to step up our efforts. I shall inform the Ministry for Propaganda.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2015, 09:42:36 pm »

I see we shall have to step up our efforts. I shall inform the Ministry for Propaganda.

<_<

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2015, 11:22:06 pm »

I'm reading 1491 for cultural anthropology it covers what the Americas were like before contact. its so interesting and sad.

asciigod

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2015, 11:00:00 pm »

Is this literally your first book after a long reading hiatus? If so, your concentration may have atrophied. Keep working that muscle, it'll come back!

That said, I've read a few of Dick's works and he's certainly hit-or-miss as far as presenting a lucid writing style. It's been well over a decade since I read DADOES so I don't specifically remember its level of "difficulty." I do remember UBIK (having read it last year), and it was on the easier end of his spectrum. In contrast I remember greatly struggling with VALIS many years ago.

The same swings in style can be seen in the excellent collection of non-fiction "The Shifting Realities of Philip K. Dick". He was a man with troubled and difficult thoughts who often struggled to express them. Don't blame yourself!

That said, I'm currently reading "Behold the Man" by Michael Moorcock. It's a time-travelling, mildly hallucinogenic take on the Christ parable. Dick would have liked it. Although its style is only tangentially similiar to his, it utilizes sci-fi in a similar manner.

And some comic books. :\

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2015, 12:24:37 pm »

Anyone read Joe Abercrombie recently?
Yes. Love him. I just bought The Heroes, (I think) but I haven't read it yet.
Well I loved it. Hope you do too. Are you reading the Shattered Sea series too?
No. I wasn't even aware it existed yet. I have so much to read, but so little time. I'll add it to my list.
Well I think it's brilliant, still prefer Glokta though. Second book is supposed to be out on the 12th.

Glokta is damn hard to beat. I'm glad to see he won't be a one-trick pony, though.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2015, 03:51:49 pm »

Just finished A Memory of Light last night. It was bloody wonderful. I'm now reading Sun Tzu's The Art of War and my parents have said that I can finally start reading Game of Thrones.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2015, 12:42:20 am »

Just finished A Memory of Light last night. It was bloody wonderful. I'm now reading Sun Tzu's The Art of War and my parents have said that I can finally start reading Game of Thrones.

* Arcvasti high fives fellow AMOL reader

The Last Battle chapter was larger then some books I've seen. Definitely an awesome conclusion to an awesome series. I'm so glad they decided to end with the same sentence they used to start all the books.

I'm about halfway through Storm of Swords, myself. Edmure Tully just got married.

EDIT: All done Storm of Swords. DAMN, but George R. R. Martin has balls of Valyrian steel.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 11:22:43 pm by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2015, 09:09:53 am »

* Arcvasti high fives fellow AMOL reader

The Last Battle chapter was larger then some books I've seen. Definitely an awesome conclusion to an awesome series. I'm so glad they decided to end with the same sentence they used to start all the books.

I'm about halfway through Storm of Swords, myself. Edmure Tully just got married.

I started rereading the series after reading AMoL. There are no beginnings or endings in that series.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2015, 10:23:45 pm »

Just finished A Feast for Crows. I can't seem to get myself off the tragedy express.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 58