Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 58

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 83258 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #225 on: June 25, 2015, 05:27:05 pm »

Just finished Saga of the Seven Suns again.

I'm reading, like, everything Pratchett wrote.
I'm trying to buy all the hardcovers and start a collection.
Problem is, they're kinda hard to get in Straya.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 25, 2015, 05:32:47 pm »

Just finished Saga of the Seven Suns again.

I'm reading, like, everything Pratchett wrote.
I'm trying to buy all the hardcovers and start a collection.
Problem is, they're kinda hard to get in Straya.

Really? I haven't had too much trouble personally but then again I'm not buying hardcovers.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #227 on: June 27, 2015, 10:08:31 pm »

I finished The Forever War. I really liked the ending.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 27, 2015, 10:27:51 pm »

Currently reading the Honor Harrington series.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 27, 2015, 10:55:18 pm »

Rereading through a collection of Lovecraft stories. Finished The Lurking Fear, The Temple, The Outsider, Arthur Jermyn, and The Unnameable, currently rereading The Shadow over Innsmouth.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 27, 2015, 11:10:04 pm »

Rereading through a collection of Lovecraft stories. Finished The Lurking Fear, The Temple, The Outsider, Arthur Jermyn, and The Unnameable, currently rereading The Shadow over Innsmouth.

I would like to start reading Lovecraft but I'm one not sure where to start and two not sure whether I'll enjoy his writing the little of Call of Cthulhu (or was it The Dunwich Horror) that I read leads me to believe that I may not. Granted, I only read the first paragraph or so, but still.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 28, 2015, 12:00:26 am »

I would like to start reading Lovecraft but I'm one not sure where to start and two not sure whether I'll enjoy his writing the little of Call of Cthulhu (or was it The Dunwich Horror) that I read leads me to believe that I may not. Granted, I only read the first paragraph or so, but still.
Lovecraft's writing can be heavy. He tends to go into lots of (unnecessary) detail on architecture or otherwise use lots of...unique word choices or sentence structure or descriptions. I'd say his writing is like an acquired taste. At first you could be like "this is awful" but after a while you get used to it.

You can find all his works online for free though, so that's cool.

If you're looking for recommendations, I'd suggest At the Mountains of Madness, Cool Air, or Rats in the Walls. I recall Cool Air being not too hard to swallow, I think. Mountains of Madness and Rats are classics, but I don't remember what the writing is like in them. I think his best work is The Outsider, buuuut that may be hard to get through. I remember my first time reading that was confusing as hell.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 28, 2015, 12:08:04 am »

Lovecraft's writing can be heavy. He tends to go into lots of (unnecessary) detail on architecture or otherwise use lots of...unique word choices or sentence structure or descriptions. I'd say his writing is like an acquired taste. At first you could be like "this is awful" but after a while you get used to it.

If you're looking for recommendations, I'd suggest At the Mountains of Madness, Cool Air, or Rats in the Walls. I recall Cool Air being not too hard to swallow, I think. Mountains of Madness and Rats are classics, but I don't remember what the writing is like in them. I think his best work is The Outsider, buuuut that may be hard to get through. I remember my first time reading that was confusing as hell.

Thanks! I'm reading Cool Air now.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 28, 2015, 12:17:11 am »

At the Mountain of Madness is definitely my favourite Lovecraft. Actually got the horror going, was interesting to read and used "Cyclopean" every other sentence. 10.12/10
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Emma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 28, 2015, 12:28:11 am »

At the Mountain of Madness is definitely my favourite Lovecraft. Actually got the horror going, was interesting to read and used "Cyclopean" every other sentence. 10.12/10

I just finished Cool Air and am now moving on to At The Mountains of Madness. Cool Air wasn't bad and I enjoyed it quite a bit but I'm not really sure that I enjoyed the ending overly much.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 28, 2015, 12:28:40 am »

Rats In the Walls is my personal favorite.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Emma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 28, 2015, 12:59:40 am »

So far At the Mountains of Madness is excellent and has already inspired me to make a game based around it  :P.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 28, 2015, 02:29:31 pm »

I read a book once. It was adequate.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 28, 2015, 04:07:56 pm »

You can find a lot of free audio book versions of Lovecraft's work on YouTube. I found the style worked really well in this format. Listened through a load of them at work. I got mine from this channel.

If you didn't like having the narrator tell of the crazy events he was involved with
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 28, 2015, 04:17:02 pm »

Well, as Vattic recently got sucked into the nearest eldritch dimension of madness and tentacles mid sentence, I'm here to continue your regular dispensation of owl-like literary wisdom :P

On Lovecraft: Yes, he is very dry, and of his time, as people have said. Much of his reputation for dealing with the tentacly stuff may have been accrued earlier when, paradoxically, less people wrote in that style, and were less deeply into the abominations etc, though now he seems pretty vague/dawdling with it, and in the slightly higher literary sense, he is as or less interesting than, say, Poe in his explorations of madness and the unknown, who I consider more to be a more dramatically compelling author, less verbose.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 58