Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 58

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 83260 times)

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #240 on: July 20, 2015, 05:32:13 pm »

I noticed nearly everyone reads fantasy/sc-fi books here, including me most of the time.

But recently I read a really good historical fiction about the Great Depression in America. It's called "Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck. Very good reading and kinda poetic.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 20, 2015, 11:48:40 pm »

I noticed nearly everyone reads fantasy/sc-fi books here, including me most of the time.

Why would I want to read stuff set in the real world? I live here already. I don't much like that type of literature, personally, although I made an except for Les Miserables because that timeperiod is basically another world as far as I'm concerned.

I'm now onto Midnight Tides, fifth tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen. In which we end up on a third major continent, entirely seperate from the other two continents that we'd been alternating between for the last four books. Honestly, if Steven Erikson was a less talanted author, I'd have ragequit the series from the constant step-sideways'. As it is, it works just fine.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 21, 2015, 12:04:49 am »

The Malus Darkblade series.

Black Libary ftw.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 21, 2015, 02:27:03 am »

But recently I read a really good historical fiction about the Great Depression in America. It's called "Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck. Very good reading and kinda poetic.
Bet this being a forum based largely around a fantasy game might be part of the reason. I tend to read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy, but mostly because I get more suggestions for books in those genres. Would like more from outside and have enjoyed many.

I mean to read Grapes of Wrath, but the friend who suggested it insists I borrow his copy and he has yet failed to produce it. Have enjoyed a little of Steinbeck's other work with Of Mice and Men being a stand out.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 21, 2015, 04:51:14 am »

I have read of mice and men but since I had too for school it kinda of spoiled it for me.

Another really really really good book is Gideon Mack. It goes through the life of a man who supposedly met the devil. It's completely fictional and I had so much feels by the end I literally sat there for an hour just thinking about the book.

Also yeah I think i read more fantasy books simply because that's what I read when I was a child. And I've found that I enjoy on average -even bad- fantasy books more, simply because they are so action packed most of the time. But really good, non-fantasy books let me relate to the characters more easily and feel as though they are truly real and what happens to them matters.

One of my favourite fantasy books is The Way of Kings and its sequel. These are both really well written with good description and just generally have awesome stuff in them.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 12:39:03 pm by Generally me »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #245 on: July 21, 2015, 04:51:36 am »

Can anyone recommend a good lovecraft book that isn't actually written by lovecraft? I do enjoy his writing when I'm in the mood for it but not so much right now.

I just finished reading the last of the discworld series and could use a lovecraftian horror to wash out the fantasy comedy camp.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 21, 2015, 10:24:09 am »

Finally finished re-reading the Night Angel Trilogy. So much tears, reminds me why I love Brent Weeks writing. Now I need to catch up with his Lightbringer series.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #247 on: July 21, 2015, 11:09:52 am »

Why would I want to read stuff set in the real world? I live here already. I don't much like that type of literature, personally, although I made an except for Les Miserables because that timeperiod is basically another world as far as I'm concerned.

Plus one.

I do love Zakes Mda's books, and quite a handful of other non-fantasies, but fantasy and sci-fi will probably always be my true love.

Speaking of which, I'm currently reading Brian Ruckley's Fall of Thanes. So far A Godless World is satisfying my somewhat peculiar taste for gritty, dark fantasy that doesn't include rape or gratuitous sex.

I've also decided that I really like the magic. It's not swords and sorcery magic, and it's not a swords and sorcery world; it's a world of people, warriors and grinding winters, with the magic to match.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 21, 2015, 11:19:54 pm »

Found Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds in the back of my bookshelf. I remember trying to read it years ago and finding it too thick a sci-fi for my taste -I think I was 13 when I picked it up, maybe younger- and couldn't wrap my mind around it. Too many unorthodox word choices for describing technology, and the constant switches in character viewpoints didn't help.

Now I'm actually reading it instead of trying to, having come down from a Lovecraft binge full of eldritch things and architectural descriptions. Refreshing change of pace from Lovecraft's writing style and more exciting a read than all the ai books and the c++ textbook I've been studying lately.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #249 on: July 21, 2015, 11:58:38 pm »

Man, I loved Revelation Space. Partly because it wraps up nicely in one book, partly because of caffeine systems.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 28, 2015, 08:21:43 pm »

Finished it. Finished Revelation Space.

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiit that was a wild ride. It just kept going and going and escalating and escalating and my mind is full of trip. 10/10 would recommend.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #251 on: July 29, 2015, 12:19:26 pm »

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiit that was a wild ride. It just kept going and going and escalating and escalating and my mind is full of trip. 10/10 would recommend.

Like I said.

Just finished Fall of Thanes, the last book in the The Godless World trilogy. I really liked how it evoked the feeling of a grinding war that no-one's really in control of any more.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 29, 2015, 12:34:23 pm »

I'm reading Dark Tower cycle. Three books done, four to go.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 29, 2015, 12:42:55 pm »

I recently read Flowers for Algernon, which was a nice break from my usual fantasy everything.

I've been reading a little too much of Tamora Pierce's stuff recently, mostly because I decided it was time to loot the YA fantasy section's top shelf. Turns out it actually gets a little tiring once you read 12 consecutive books with the same author. They're decent, but they're not that good.

So, that's a month of reading material blown. I really need to get around to going to the library and adding a bit of variety to my diet.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 02, 2015, 02:52:30 am »

I might try it myself now. I don't read much sci-fi, any sci-fi actually, but I always like to try new things. Anyway, I'm trying to get a hold of a copy of Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable because it sounds awesome and Terry Pratchett mentioned it several times in A Slip of the Keyboard. I looked for a kindle version but it cost $159 even though a quick web-search showed that you can buy it for around $30 and even Amazon sells it for $50. Someone did mention a public domain copy of it so I'll see if I can get that one and then see if my local second-hand bookshop stocks a copy.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 58