I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 581109 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #5670 on: July 10, 2016, 06:39:10 pm »

That's been done de-facto through polls divided by religion. It varies pretty massively, as any conservative or RadTrad Catholic will be happy to endlessly tell you.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5671 on: July 10, 2016, 07:35:48 pm »

I don't believe I *deserve* absolute salvation.  I sinned against my morals, and I regret that.  And if I still get infinite perfection as a reward despite my unresolved shame, if I say sorry, I guess God is someone who values apology over reasonable morality.

?

I mean, I feel like the solution here is to resolve the shame. Which might be damn hard, but even from a purely materialistic standpoint, unless you consider all of you responsible for all the rest of you, there's so many influences on your behavior that you can't control that affect everything you do...feel bad about it if it helps you avoid a repeat, but guilt has a purpose.

I think, also, that our definitions of reasonable morality differ. For me, the fact that someone is willing to apologize and mean it is worth a lot. In fact, my objections to the concept of a Christian afterlife are basically the opposite of yours, so maybe it might not be the best idea to try and critique if we're gonna come at it from polar opposites in perspective :P
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5672 on: July 10, 2016, 09:38:09 pm »

I spent a long time regretting my mistakes, and being honestly sorry, and just wallowing in that guilt and self-hate.  And I've known other people who did the same.

Honest regret is a good first step, but if it just leads to despair then it's worthless.  There has to be a will to fix the problem.  That's infinitely more important than forgiveness, at least in my experience.

I spent too much time being forgiven, and then later on forgiving a couple of people, and observing that it doesn't help anything.  Infinite forgiveness is a mistake that just hurts both parties.  It's lazy idealism, ego-stroking for the forgiver.

Useful forgiveness can only come when the bad behavior is overcome, and even then it doesn't really matter except to repair a relationship with someone real.

So yeah, it's vital to address the underlying cause of the shame and fix it.  Forgiveness-doctrine doesn't emphasize that at all.  Many churches do address it, out of practicality rather than doctrine.  The underlying message of Christianity is "We're all sinners, unavoidably.  If you admit you feel bad, this blood ritual will wipe away any amount of mistakes".  Feeling bad solves nothing by itself.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5673 on: July 11, 2016, 12:31:52 am »

Well, yeah. That's how being sorry works though. It's not about regret, it's about change. You don't say "I'm sorry, but I'm still not gonna do anything to try and fix this" to God. You say "I want to change. Forgive my past mistakes, and judge me instead for my future actions." Being willing to apologize means being willing to try and fix it. Otherwise you're just giving lip service to the person that was hurt.

My point about guilt having a purpose is that you shouldn't use it when it accomplishes nothing. If you're taking actions that make you feel guilty on a regular basis, the guilt is not doing it's job, and you need to take a different approach.

I mean, as far as I know, you can get into heaven even if you get hit by a bus stepping out of the confessional, and haven't had time to fix what was wrong, but it seems clear why that might be the case.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5674 on: July 11, 2016, 04:44:53 am »

The underlying message of Christianity is "We're all sinners, unavoidably.  If you admit you feel bad, and make an honest effort to right the wrongs and change yourself, this blood ritual will wipe away any amount of mistakes".  Feeling bad solves nothing by itself.
FTFY
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5675 on: July 11, 2016, 04:50:54 am »

OW confirmed for works-based salvation heretic.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5676 on: July 11, 2016, 04:52:30 am »

Can't you just punish yourself?

Unrelated to previous sentence: I've discussed religion with my formerly-agnostic father and Catholic mother. It was quite interesting.

Spoiler: story (click to show/hide)

I'm going to continue being Catholic, because a possible application of the Bible and other Catholic stuff agrees with my own ethics. It's not the Catholic God I believe in, nor the Pope, nor the church authorities. It's the ethics I derive from what I believe to be a mainly fictional book. And I only believe in them because I agree with them. Mostly.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5677 on: July 11, 2016, 05:00:15 am »

Would you feel inclined to forgive someone who kicked you in the shin, said "it's okay if I apologise, so I'm sorry", kicked you in the shin again, saying "it's okay if I apologise"?
Of course not, you'd think he's a dick. People aren't sorry if they're not trying to do things differently afterwards.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5678 on: July 11, 2016, 05:03:15 am »

Would you feel inclined to forgive someone who kicked you in the shin, said "it's okay if I apologise, so I'm sorry", kicked you in the shin again, saying "it's okay if I apologise"?
Of course not, you'd think he's a dick. People aren't sorry if they're not trying to do things differently afterwards.
Quote from: Isaiah 64:6
All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.
Repent of your heresy, patsy of Satan. Your delicious cream filling will not save you on the day of judgement.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 05:05:00 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5679 on: July 11, 2016, 05:33:32 am »

All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.
Repent of your heresy, patsy of Satan. Your delicious cream filling will not save you on the day of judgement.

I could go for some Satanic Pastries about now. They're sinfully delicious.  :P
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5680 on: July 11, 2016, 05:35:14 am »

I could go for some Satanic Pastries about now. They're sinfully delicious.  :P
May I tempt you with some delicious devils-food cake?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5681 on: July 11, 2016, 05:36:56 am »

I'll take some Baal bread, that stuff's great.

14 What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good[a] is that? 17 So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
It's not the works that save you, but it's hard to say someone is sorry if they don't seem, y'know, sorry.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5682 on: July 11, 2016, 05:40:53 am »

I'll take some Baal bread, that stuff's great.

14 What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good[a] is that? 17 So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
It's not the works that save you, but it's hard to say someone is sorry if they don't seem, y'know, sorry.
A christian has both faith and works.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5683 on: July 11, 2016, 05:44:39 am »

That's what I said

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5684 on: July 11, 2016, 05:45:29 am »

Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 521