I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582160 times)

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #180 on: January 26, 2015, 11:20:26 am »

Satan?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 26, 2015, 11:24:10 am »

i'm curious now, are there other gods that exist in Christianity that just aren't higher than God himself?

Well, the wording in the old testament can be easily interpreted as stating that there are. Presumably this is a reference to each faith having its own god(s).
This is a blank sig.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 26, 2015, 11:25:18 am »

Nah, satan's entirely subservient to god insofar as anything actually biblical is concerned. Just like everything else.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 26, 2015, 11:25:57 am »

Ya the wording makes it sound like there are other god(s)

Satan?
Satan is a creation of God, an angel.
He is actually God's most beautiful creation IIRC, might be what makes him so coercive
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 26, 2015, 11:29:57 am »

Do note the bible doesn't really say that :P
Ask not!
Ask!

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 26, 2015, 11:32:10 am »

You sure?
I'll have to ask, I could have sworn it said he was God's most beautiful creation .-.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 26, 2015, 11:36:42 am »

Yeah, a lot of what we 'know' about Satan comes from extra-biblical sources and is a tasty blend of pagan and jewish mythology, if I remember correctly. Satan only shows up in the bible a couple of times, and is mostly treated as a (possibly symbolical) source of opposition/sin. Being the most beautiful thing in creation is definitely not in the bible, just like his pride and desire to take over heaven.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 26, 2015, 11:40:51 am »

Aye, ninja'd. Honestly, most "knowledge" of angels, demons, etc., etc. comes from stuff that's not of the primary texts, that-which-is-called-satan (which could actually be several different things rolled into one, or, as USEC notes, something more symbolic than actual) included. The biblical texts themselves are really sparse on anything explicit regarding that sort of thing.

Satan isn't even the critter's name, it's a derivative of what amounts to an adjective or descriptor, coming from an old word for Adversary -- to the extent it's actually a thing, no specific name is given. Similarly, there's only two angels named in the bible. Stuff like that's fairly common, insofar as the main texts go. The supplementary fanfiction is where most of that stuff gets drawn from, heh.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:43:55 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 26, 2015, 11:41:34 am »

Do note the bible doesn't really say that :P
I as just about to mention it, according to the bible Satan is a regular angel. Probably one of the higher ranks tough... it doesn't really tells which.
The only detailed creation is the archangel which is mentioned to be the most powerful angel ( name) and Jesus wich was the first thing made.
What is that thing about Jesus being the "end of the Law"? I'm fairly certain it says the exact opposite, and that the basis for disregarding much of the ancient testaments comes from a passage in the Acts, where a group of Church elders state that gentiles converted to Christianity only have to respect a few laws.
The old law as reposed after christ, but even then, it's obsolete, since most of it was a set of rules for the nation of Israel. You can take the whole giving the tenth part of your gains as a example. Any church that enforces this is apostate.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 26, 2015, 11:56:50 am »

While there are some polytheistic hints in the old testament (We're really getting into the definition of a "god" here which is a central problem to the whole thing.   Is the serpent of Eden a god?  A demigod?  Something else?  Why, and by what metric are we determining this?) the Old Testament isn't the main text of Christianity and Christianity is pretty firmly monotheistic.
Shoes...

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 26, 2015, 12:02:24 pm »

Christianity could be considered polytheistic depending on how you view the trinity, whether you consider the Son, the Father, and the Spirit to be the same entity or different entities, whether they have the same will/mind or have different wills, and (if they're different entities/different minds) if the Son and Spirit are subservient to the Father or if they are all on equal footing.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #191 on: January 26, 2015, 12:04:42 pm »

Not from a Christian perspective. The closest to Christianity and that way of thinking are the Jehovah's Witnesses.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 26, 2015, 12:05:24 pm »

Aye, ninja'd. Honestly, most "knowledge" of angels, demons, etc., etc. comes from stuff that's not of the primary texts, that-which-is-called-satan (which could actually be several different things rolled into one, or, as USEC notes, something more symbolic than actual) included. The biblical texts themselves are really sparse on anything explicit regarding that sort of thing.

Satan isn't even the critter's name, it's a derivative of what amounts to an adjective or descriptor, coming from an old word for Adversary -- to the extent it's actually a thing, no specific name is given. Similarly, there's only two angels named in the bible. Stuff like that's fairly common, insofar as the main texts go. The supplementary fanfiction is where most of that stuff gets drawn from, heh.

His real name is Lucifer
though it might not be scripture so im going to be asking around

While there are some polytheistic hints in the old testament (We're really getting into the definition of a "god" here which is a central problem to the whole thing.   Is the serpent of Eden a god?  A demigod?  Something else?  Why, and by what metric are we determining this?) the Old Testament isn't the main text of Christianity and Christianity is pretty firmly monotheistic.
Do you mean satan?
the one that tempted Adam and Eve into eating the forbidden fruit?

Christianity could be considered polytheistic depending on how you view the trinity, whether you consider the Son, the Father, and the Spirit to be the same entity or different entities, whether they have the same will/mind or have different wills, and (if they're different entities/different minds) if the Son and Spirit are subservient to the Father or if they are all on equal footing.

In my belief they are just three faces of the same deity

NINJA'S!!!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 26, 2015, 12:06:35 pm »

... Nnnoo, that's a pretty standard theological question, leading to a fair number of disagreements and splits between churches.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #194 on: January 26, 2015, 12:08:01 pm »

... Nnnoo, that's a pretty standard theological question, leading to a fair number of disagreements and splits between churches.

Source? Never heard of it, and it's a pretty big thing.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 521