I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582163 times)

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #465 on: February 05, 2015, 01:33:03 pm »

So like I was saying, we are equal with bacteria. Thanks science.

Evolution is the boss, your beneviolent god was eaten by something that evolved to eat a god, y'know just to survive.

And this is why I reserve the right to demand proof behind a belief and will call you names if you don't produce. Many people have deeply held beliefs, but understand none of the underlying mechanisms thereof.

Bring proof.

Proof for what? Anything?
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 05, 2015, 01:36:33 pm »

This is something that "surprise" me a new each time. usually those who doesn't "believe" in evolution are the ones who don't actually understand it.

Also, i think that if Christianity wants to stay relevant, it should accept evolution. an omnipresent/omnipotent god could have set the starting conditions to reach the intelligent human being end result (Or mid result, if you want to keep people chained to specific conduct of behaviors that would evolve them into a superior spiritual beings).

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 05, 2015, 01:39:44 pm »

Most religions do accept evolution, including the Catholic church. However, many individuals within said religions still deny it anyway.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 05, 2015, 01:42:33 pm »

Most religions do accept evolution, including the Catholic church. However, many individuals within said religions still deny it anyway.
This is exactly it. There are many areas that church-goers are divided on. Just because the heads of the religion rule one way or other, it always falls under the "humans are fallible, it's actually this way" argument.
I'm not a huge fan when people take Religion over science, though I tend to be "live and let live" about it, as long as they don't try to force the belief on others.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 05, 2015, 01:47:57 pm »

If you make a specific claim, back it up or, frankly, I'm going to think that you're full of shit.

If you say, "The sky is actually a crystalline dome with water behind it," and don't produce verifiable, testable, repeatable, peer reviewable proof, you're wasting everyone's time. Same goes for, "There is a god," and "this itemized list is true." At the very least, do some research on your own beliefs to find out why you believe what you do and bring that.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 05, 2015, 01:50:33 pm »

Ad break

Help Toady out, donate some money you rich bastards
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 02:14:32 pm by That Wolf »
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 05, 2015, 01:54:57 pm »

Or as long as they don't restrict scientific advancement. For example, the use of mitochondria from another person to cure a disease in babies has been labelled unethical.

Restricting medicine. How very medieval.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11386898/Three-parent-babies-Why-is-the-Church-refusing-to-alleviate-human-suffering.html

It mentions Church of England. The Catholic church was against it too.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 05, 2015, 01:55:37 pm »

The trouble with fiction.. is that it makes too much sense. Reality never makes sense.

Now who said that

If you make a specific claim, back it up or, frankly, I'm going to think that you're full of shit.

If you say, "The sky is actually a crystalline dome with water behind it," and don't produce verifiable, testable, repeatable, peer reviewable proof, you're wasting everyone's time. Same goes for, "There is a god," and "this itemized list is true." At the very least, do some research on your own beliefs to find out why you believe what you do and bring that.
Agreed but do you want to go on a fucking field trip to understand any simple thing people say about science. Or do you only belive in the experiments you do yourself?
do you read a science journal and say "bullshit prove it to me"
Gey fucked your a human an undoubtedly belive in something untrue because you read it somewhere.
Do you think maths exsists??

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 05, 2015, 01:56:48 pm »

Looks like I touched a nerve. Way to be civil.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 05, 2015, 02:00:38 pm »

The trouble with fiction.. is that it makes too much sense. Reality never makes sense.

Now who said that

Agreed but do you want to go on a fucking field trip to understand any simple thing people say about science. Or do you only belive in the experiments you do yourself?
do you read a science journal and say "bullshit prove it to me"
Gey fucked your a human an undoubtedly belive in something untrue because you read it somewhere.
Do you think maths exsists??

The science journal provides empirical evidence. It lists experiments made by others who have used empirical evidence.

Existential claims of the unprovable would not be found in it.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 05, 2015, 02:04:00 pm »

Haha im always swearing I should tone it down. You didnt hit a nerve I just think your sentiment is lies, you cant say you dont believe in false ideas.
Do you believe stars are like our star, the sun? Or do you need to fly to one to believe its a star?
Or is sombody saying that they are stars enough for you?

So for some, being told god exsists is all they need to hear.
Just like me and stars
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 02:06:12 pm by That Wolf »

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 05, 2015, 02:05:56 pm »

This is exactly it. There are many areas that church-goers are divided on. Just because the heads of the religion rule one way or other, it always falls under the "humans are fallible, it's actually this way" argument.
I'm not a huge fan when people take Religion over science, though I tend to be "live and let live" about it, as long as they don't try to force the belief on others.

I am a firm fan of Science over Religion! Science is taking strains of crops and planting the best to have better yields, religion is praying god will make the field yield more.
Religion is praying for god to rain water on us, Science is developing desalinization to actually save our future lives.

When africans choose islamic traditions of personally washing their dead over the science that tells them how Ebola spreads, they indirectly affect me. Every religion has an example of behaviour that directly or indirectly affects everyone in this world and usually not to the better, so no, "Live and let Live" in regard to permitting ignorance and backwardness in a world that its entities are dependent on each other is not acceptable by me.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 05, 2015, 02:08:18 pm »

Haha im always swearing I should tone it down. You didnt hit a nerve I just think your sentiment is lies, you cant say you dont believe in false ideas.
Do you believe stars are like our star, the sun? Or do you need to fly to one to believe its a star?
Or is sombody saying that they are stars enough for you?

So for some, being told god exsists is all they need to hear.
Just like me and stars

No. The stars exhibit identical properties, relative to their size, as our sun. Empirical evidence.

Someone claiming God exist is just so much air. There is no physical evidence.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 05, 2015, 02:09:58 pm »

So ona personal note. Where do you think I stand in this argument

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 05, 2015, 02:13:20 pm »

That Wolf, if you're not going to be serious, and not going to try and make sense, I'd call that trolling, and I'd ask you to leave.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 521