I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582403 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #7305 on: June 05, 2023, 12:08:39 am »

Guys. Listen. This is stupid question, but it is also very, very important.

So, Apollo is an hot piece of ass the Olympian God of Youthful Radiance, Music, Medicine, and most importantly to this question, the Sun. He has a chariot that he uses to pull the sun across the morning sky. It is his gig. It is his job.

Then there is Helios, The Titan of the Sun. Literal personification of the sun itself. He is the sun.

Does this mean, Apollo drags Helios around the sky everyday? Like, is Helios literally tied to the chariot and flails around like a ribbon while Apollo rides the vessel in hypersonic speeds?

It means that Apollo and Helios became merged into one God in some areas, a common process in early religions. Thre is some evidence the the Abrahamic God is also a result of a similar merge.

Helios IS the rider of the golden chariot not the personification of the sun. His son, Phaeton, also attempted to ride the chariot... with unpleasant consequences. Early versions of Appolo had nothing to do with that chariot but myths mutate.

I love Greek mythology. It is so much better than ancient Jewish mythology.  it portrays gods as cruel, power-hungry, callous dicks in constant struggle instead of pushing the narrative of an all-powerful abusive sky daddy who loves to give genocidal orders. It also has much less misogyny in it with some kickass female goddesses and other female mythical beings, while in Jewish folklore women are either furniture, baby-making machines (note that they often don't even bother to tell names of mothers), or petty villains.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7306 on: June 05, 2023, 12:41:51 am »

Guys. Listen. This is stupid question, but it is also very, very important.

So, Apollo is an hot piece of ass the Olympian God of Youthful Radiance, Music, Medicine, and most importantly to this question, the Sun. He has a chariot that he uses to pull the sun across the morning sky. It is his gig. It is his job.

Then there is Helios, The Titan of the Sun. Literal personification of the sun itself. He is the sun.

Does this mean, Apollo drags Helios around the sky everyday? Like, is Helios literally tied to the chariot and flails around like a ribbon while Apollo rides the vessel in hypersonic speeds?

It means that Apollo and Helios became merged into one God in some areas, a common process in early religions. Thre is some evidence the the Abrahamic God is also a result of a similar merge.

Helios IS the rider of the golden chariot not the personification of the sun. His son, Phaeton, also attempted to ride the chariot... with unpleasant consequences. Early versions of Appolo had nothing to do with that chariot but myths mutate.

I love Greek mythology. It is so much better than ancient Jewish mythology.  it portrays gods as cruel, power-hungry, callous dicks in constant struggle instead of pushing the narrative of an all-powerful abusive sky daddy who loves to give genocidal orders. It also has much less misogyny in it with some kickass female goddesses and other female mythical beings, while in Jewish folklore women are either furniture, baby-making machines (note that they often don't even bother to tell names of mothers), or petty villains.
Of course, those areas were erogenous areas.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7307 on: June 06, 2023, 09:21:39 am »

Another question, does Iris get more powerful in Pride month?
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7308 on: June 06, 2023, 10:10:36 am »

This is a question with a complicated answer.

Firstly, let's address its basic premise - that worship/devotion/obeisance to a god was considered to in some way increase their power. In an Ancient Greek mythological context, it did not. Prayer was intended to assuage the god's wrath, to draw their favour, or to pit them against certain enemies. Alongside sacrifices, it could calm seas, ease childbirth, bring prosperity. But it was intended to curry favour and not provide something the gods, who were themselves personified power, required.

In a modern context? American Gods, Percy Jackson, Harry Dresden, and various media concerning gods make the connection between prayer/sacrifice and the survival of divinity clear. Perhaps this is a result of Christology, for in likening pagan divinity to a parasitic (or possibly symbiotic) relationship the "true" deity is shown to be all the more powerful, significant, and supreme. More likely, this is a facet of a broader quirk within monotheistic-centric modern popular culture and not the cause. Or, indeed, a response to the supposed 'death' of these gods through lack of worshipers which we, standing at the ever-moving pinnacle of history, can look back on.

But, for the sake of your question, we will assume the latter and modern interpretation is correct. Pagan gods derive their power from worship.

However, all sources also agree that intent is important. Think back on the Chronicles of Narnia. Those who worshiped the 'devil' out of love were directing their prayer, not to Satan, but to Aslan and Christ. And vice versa.

Though the rainbow is Iris' symbol, the devotion and meaning directed towards it does not belong to her. No one looks upon the Flag of Pride and feels stirring in their hearts a love for the Wife of Zephyrus (or, if they do, not on any meaningful scale).

As such, and in conclusion, I would contend that Iris does not become more powerful during Pride. Firstly, worship does not necessarily act to empower divinity. Secondly, even were it to do so, Intent would channel the devotion to a more appropriate vessel. Perhaps Ganymede or Eros, or, in this author's personal opinion, a new divinity constructed from the patchwork of pride flags, from the empowering ambrosia of faith, trust and love.

Name this recipient what you will.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 10:13:30 am by TD1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7309 on: June 06, 2023, 11:17:57 am »

Another question, does Iris get more powerful in Pride month?
Of course they do!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7310 on: June 11, 2023, 07:39:19 pm »

Met some interesting people lately and a metamour recommended Lingua Ignota - Sinner Get Ready.  Listed to the album raptly (no pun intended).  I haven't looked into the intended message, but it certainly reminded me of some ideas I used to obsess over.

There's obviously anger at her time in the church, and mockery of the whole "Repent, sinner!" shit.  (Someone did mention she suffered emotional manipulation then especially).  Felt pretty standard really.  But as I let it play in the background, it seemed to shift.  It sounded so *wistful*.  She sang about the comfort of being forgiven, and the certainty of conviction.  Sure the forgiveness requires emotionally surrendering yourself, body and soul, but... well.  In a slightly different context, I've experienced how good that can be.  Building such a powerful bond requires sacrifice and trust.

It ends with someone explaining to a reporter how the blood of Jesus keeps her safe.  She sounds happy and confident, polite even.  Her phrasing is a bit creepy... well, "being covered in the blood" keeps her safe from the sickness of outsiders... but it almost sounds reasonable.  It certainly sounds reassuring.  She sounds happy.

I think maybe the point is that she *isn't* happy.  This state of being is reliant on her continued surrender, and perhaps the repression through emotional and physical means of her true identity.  But there were many times growing up where I tried to discard my fucked-up individuality for just a taste of normalcy and comfort.

It all reminded me of being on a starry lakeside as a troubled young... queer person.  At Bible Camp.  I hadn't been forced to go, though I'd told my parents I was doing it as a favor to my grandmother.  That was a lie.  They were splitting up, painstakingly, and my grades were crashing, and I kept dreaming about boys in my class kissing me, but also this imaginary girl who was my soulmate and guide or something.

I wanted it all to stop.  I guess I daydreamed about death, but I never came close to trying it.  My body and mind were too important to my family, and I didn't want to hurt them.  I owed them too much already just for existing.  I only wanted to replace my soul.
...wow

The Bible itself was still ridiculous, but that didn't actually matter.  It was obviously only tenuously connected to what all these happy Christians had.  So for weeks I had attended the youth group, making my grandma happy and even sorta-kinda making friends.  I didn't really lie, I just sang songs and stuff and tried to understand them.

They knew, of course.  I had hardly lied and it was pretty clear.  That was fine, I was very polite for a teen atheist at the time so they were happy to be good Christian role-models and help me along.  Culminating in this camp, which culminated in a Christian Rock event, where I stepped forward to be saved and they were all "Yaaay you did it!" and I said all the words and stuff.
just in case that'd help
And then afterwards, came out here to this lakeside to *actually* accept Jesus.  If I could.  Just me and the dizzying night sky, and the gentle sound of the water.  It was deeply spiritual in all the right ways.
Eventually I tried words again, just in case.  I asked him to come into my heart.  I listened.  I apologized for all the things I actually regretted.  ...  I apologized for the things I didn't like about myself, for being, broken and wrong, and gross.  Not just the guys, or the girl in my head, but all the weird things about my thought process.  I was sorry for it.  I wanted to be a good son, I had been doing so well up until recently.  We all have parts we have to play, we're not supposed to LIKE IT.  I could do that!  I just needed someone to tell me to... someone who actually mattered.  I needed some plan to live for, something to surrender to.
anyway, that's why I don't believe in that concept of God.  Or demons for that matter, because JFC talk about an opening.
Devils and angels, maybe...
But if that God is out there, it rejected me.  I don't know why, but I did my best.
Cuz I really, REALLY wanted that comfort.  I would have joined a cult to get it, I tried, I had *no* pride left.

anyway it turns out that people can offer comfort, and it's often worth the vulnerability
sometimes they want to be worshiped and let me tell you, it's a lot of fun to worship someone tangible and sympathetic.  Someone who values me and also consent.  Someone who hears your prayers, someone who cares /j
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7311 on: June 11, 2023, 08:45:13 pm »

Look at the world. At all the broken and "broken" people, those who never got a chance, what humanity does to our fellow minds. We don't even get a real second or third chance to even out the odds, just a jump straight to the end after the moment of our lives.

How are any of your sins worth mentioning to the Maker?
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #7312 on: June 11, 2023, 08:48:00 pm »

When I decided I didn't want to be an atheist anymore (very personal reasons), nothing I was offered resonated with me in the slightest. Except my particular branch of Protestantism. I turned down Islam, Buddhism, and new-age spirituality after reading up on each of their history. idk got cold feet.

After that I basically rejected all sorts of mysticism and became about as much of a skeptic as a religious person can ever be.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 08:49:45 pm by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7313 on: June 11, 2023, 08:54:44 pm »

Sorry that you folks experience such a poor cross section of Christianity.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7314 on: June 11, 2023, 09:27:35 pm »

Not like it's particularly missable, heh.

Really, if there's anything I've picked up over the years about religion, it's that being a majority in an area is just pure fucking poison for it. If there's ever an argument for secularism or heavily religiously divided cultures, or just against organized religion in general, it's how organized groups invariably act if they gain any particular amount of secular power, even just by dint of population numbers. It just bloody never goes well, especially for basically any minority group in the area, even ones not specifically targeted by the relevant dogma.

World'd be better off without that kind of concentration of power drugged up on the certainty of religious doctrine. Believe what you want, but let the metaphorical church be rubble.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7315 on: June 11, 2023, 11:38:20 pm »

But if that God is out there, it rejected me.  I don't know why, but I did my best.

This describes my experience with Christianity very well too, and is ultimately why I've abandoned it.  In my case it wasn't about sexual orientation or anything and was just a matter of having an overly rational and materialistic view of the universe.  God hadn't given me any evidence to believe he existed, presumably he knew I'd never accept his existence without it, but he still refused to ever talk to me like all of the old people at church claimed he did to them.  So... what was I supposed to do?

Well, I just kept putting on the show so people wouldn't bother me about it, mostly, but I just treated it as a show at that point.  I still haven't forgiven the Pentecostal Holiness "church" for essentially turning me into an emotional hostage for my formative years as a kid though.  Not sure I ever will totally forgive them for that.

I put "church" in quotes since it's more a movement or philosophy among the Protestant churches in the southeast than a formal group.  As a whole they're like "what if we took Christianity and marinated it in pure 'Murica for a hundred years."  Which is to say that they believe a central church authority is wrong and they just answer to Jesus.  I think there is a central conference for the Pentecostal Holiness church, but I know of at least one Baptist church that claims to also be Pentecostal Holiness so it clearly goes beyond that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7316 on: June 12, 2023, 02:22:37 am »

Hey I also believe a central authority in church is wrong. It's just too abuseable.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7317 on: June 12, 2023, 02:58:31 am »

When I decided I didn't want to be an atheist anymore (very personal reasons), nothing I was offered resonated with me in the slightest. Except my particular branch of Protestantism. I turned down Islam, Buddhism, and new-age spirituality after reading up on each of their history. idk got cold feet.

I am curious, how one makes a decision to start believing something?

I can't start believing that 2+2=5 even if my life will depend on it. At best, I can pretend it. It is the same with any form of theism.

I also have another question. Why the God wants a ton of people not believing in him(her, them, it)? Because if he didn't want, atheists wouldn't exist. God can make me a theist in a second by providing evidence that will be enough to change my belief.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7318 on: June 12, 2023, 04:10:43 am »

Well somehow I felt my pure materialistic worldview wasn't right and I was looking for something to provide meaning. Christianity felt right and the other religions didn't feel right. It was an emotional decision.

As for your second question, I don't know. Nor do I really care.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7319 on: June 12, 2023, 04:34:53 am »

Well somehow I felt my pure materialistic worldview wasn't right and I was looking for something to provide meaning. Christianity felt right and the other religions didn't feel right. It was an emotional decision.

This doesn't answer the question. It answers "why?" or "for what?". I asked HOW.

How do you make yourself believe something you didn't believe before simply because you think it will be beneficial for you? Not pretend to believe but actually believe.

Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 521