I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 503 504 [505] 506 507 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582381 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #7560 on: August 31, 2023, 09:51:11 am »

Evil is as evil does. Mormons have so far proven themselves to be as morally tepid as most other people in my estimation.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7561 on: August 31, 2023, 10:19:55 am »

I mean... they're a largely right-wing stateside protestant group, so... as an organization they're at least somewhat evil, by most heuristics for the term. Not particularly intensely evil, but it's a passel of groups with a history of nasty shit that's pretty much guaranteed to keep doing and supporting a disproportionate amount of nasty shit going forward *shrugs*

They're better than the southern baptist convention, at least!

My cat's shit out stuff with better moral turpitude than that mess, though, so...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7562 on: August 31, 2023, 10:28:50 am »

Dear bay watchers ! Having read Conan Doyle's a study in scarlet, is there anyone who could tell me more about the Mormons , it seems that they are evil , is that right ?

They suck.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7563 on: August 31, 2023, 10:32:40 am »

Hmmm, in fairness my only real exposure to Mormons are the random ones standing outside Unis and Brandon Sanderson's work.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #7564 on: September 01, 2023, 05:14:44 am »

Thanks bay watchers for your kind replies !

According to my limited knowledge of the religions , my questions are as follows.

Firstly in Victor Hugo’s the miserable, the series show that the religion plays a positive role in awakening the humanity inside a seemingly evil man .

Second in the TV series the Dopesick the victims of drug abuse were trying to escape from the prison of OxyContin but they failed, desperately and poorly , end up with a horrible death.

How do you think about the facts above?

Thirdly several days ago a stranger contacted me accidentally he asked if I am a Christian, and he wanted to make me become one, I am not religious ,how to reject him politely?

By the way if I want to know more the western religions what books should I read?

人生在世不称意 明朝散发弄扁舟

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #7565 on: September 01, 2023, 05:37:28 am »

Mor(m)ons.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7566 on: September 01, 2023, 10:06:55 am »

I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7567 on: September 01, 2023, 12:04:36 pm »

I dunno. I like Mormons. I love creative people who add cool fanfiction to existing fictional universes*. We need more people who expand literature classics like the Bible not less. Maybe then people will get that the source of all "holy texts" is exactly the same - human imagination.

*as long as it is not Disney Star Wars 'sequels'
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7568 on: September 01, 2023, 12:09:54 pm »

I mean, sure, but there's far more copacetic groups, like some of the christobuddhists or whatever they are. Knew a radical ordained christian preacher/minister (old college prof, though I forget which denominations they originated from) at one point that had published some stuff on possible connections between jesus and buddhism (stuff like investigating the possibly ol' streaker J took off eastwards after resurrection, iirc), and there's denominations out there holding beliefs along those lines.

They're not nearly as large as the mormons, but it's not like there aren't groups that expand on canon that have far less baggage. There's piles of 'em, really.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #7569 on: September 01, 2023, 08:01:34 pm »

I mean, sure, but there's far more copacetic groups, like some of the christobuddhists or whatever they are. Knew a radical ordained christian preacher/minister (old college prof, though I forget which denominations they originated from) at one point that had published some stuff on possible connections between jesus and buddhism (stuff like investigating the possibly ol' streaker J took off eastwards after resurrection, iirc), and there's denominations out there holding beliefs along those lines.

They're not nearly as large as the mormons, but it's not like there aren't groups that expand on canon that have far less baggage. There's piles of 'em, really.
I almost went that way but decided not to. With my faith crisis over, and my specific sect of Protestantism being fully baked into my new, entrenched worldview and ideology, I likely never will.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7570 on: September 01, 2023, 08:47:29 pm »

Thanks bay watchers for your kind replies !

According to my limited knowledge of the religions , my questions are as follows.

Firstly in Victor Hugo’s the miserable, the series show that the religion plays a positive role in awakening the humanity inside a seemingly evil man .

Second in the TV series the Dopesick the victims of drug abuse were trying to escape from the prison of OxyContin but they failed, desperately and poorly , end up with a horrible death.

How do you think about the facts above?

Thirdly several days ago a stranger contacted me accidentally he asked if I am a Christian, and he wanted to make me become one, I am not religious ,how to reject him politely?

By the way if I want to know more the western religions what books should I read?

I have seen people transform their behavior into more kind, compassionate ways because of religion, so I think it has some real value for society in that regard.

To politely refuse someone's conversion attempts, I usually just talk with them, and point out specifically what I disagree with about being converted to their beliefs.  But also bringing up what I believe instead of / in place of what they believe.  However, those sort of people typically will talk over you and  bring up dozens of things I take issue with before there's even a chance to say anything.  It's okay to ask them to repeat themselves, and also to just admit that you don't have 4 hours right now to discuss the matter.

That being said, I have learned a lit from such long discussions, despite their failures to convert me.  As long as you maintain respect for the other person, and avoid straw manning their arguement, you can approach those situations in many ways.

No idea about the books though.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 08:49:00 pm by Schmaven »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7571 on: September 02, 2023, 03:27:12 am »

(stuff like investigating the possibly ol' streaker J took off eastwards after resurrection, iirc), and there's denominations out there holding beliefs along those lines.

Jules V Christus, in 70 days around the world: eclectic buggaloo.
let

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7572 on: September 02, 2023, 06:43:37 am »

I have seen people transform their behavior into more kind, compassionate ways because of religion, so I think it has some real value for society in that regard.

Because of religion or because they found a new community in which they are valued?
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7573 on: September 02, 2023, 07:31:45 am »

Because of religion or because they found a new community in which they are valued?

Because of religion.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7574 on: September 02, 2023, 07:51:33 am »

That argument that (all of) the Bible is "due to imagination" does not pass scientific muster: the gospels, at least, are almost universally accepted as being legitimate first- or second-hand accounts of some events in the early first century.

Remember, those authors didn't know they were writing "the Bible" - they were writing letters to their friends and neighbors to share what they experienced.  They are more like (auto)biographies of "hey we met this guy, and he changed our lives."  It isn't fiction.

Now, you don't have to believe the implications of everything they said - but to say it's fiction is to deny what those works actually are.

There are similar academic approaches to the Old Testament books too, including all the allegories and apocalyptic literature.  Now apocalyptic (Daniel, Ezekiel, Revelation, etc.) does have fantastic imagery that is fictional, but it's fiction with a purpose. Think of all the books written "in more modern times" that make social commentary. The plot of the stories may be fiction, but the commentary is not - that commentary is real.  This is what Bible scholars mean when they say the Bible is the word of God - the social commentary is the true part, not the literal words on the page (which is why people who claim only a single translation is The One are actually wrong, and need to be told that - kindly).

My personal feeling is that people that focus on the actual words are missing out - they're caught in details that don't matter. And that focus on the words, rather than the "heart of God", often generates social unrest, which seems pretty opposite to what Jesus taught about the Kingdom of God, which didn't seem to be characterized by unrest.
Pages: 1 ... 503 504 [505] 506 507 ... 521