I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582053 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #7680 on: November 09, 2023, 12:48:02 pm »

I don't believe that; I believe that it's a simple boolean: if the "immoraity is nonzero, it's immoral."
Well, yes. Ignoring zero, numbers are also either positive or negative. It doesn't mean that 1 is the same as 10000000 because both are positive.

The earlier examples in this thread demonstrate that: thinking about murdering someone, to me, is just as immoral as actually murdering them.
Having a thought is as immoral as murder. Being impolite to a neighbor is as immoral as murder. Shoplifting is as immoral as murder. Yeah, I guess your opinion IS unpopular.

Because you can be an immoral evil person and have a really pleasant practical impact on the world
Please, explain, why having millions of such "immoral evil people" is in any way bad.

And what exactly do you mean by evil? Because for me, something not harmful is not evil by definition. An entity needs to be at least potentially harmful to be considered evil.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7681 on: November 09, 2023, 01:28:47 pm »

Well that gets to I think an earlier question - what defines good or evil vs. destructive/constructive?

Sounds like you are a pragmatist, where some of us are existentialists.

I agree your views are consistent for a purely pragmatic view - there's no difference between "good/evil" and "constructive or restorative/destructive or harmful" in that view - because the only measure of merit is how constructive/destructive things are.

For existentialists, "good/evil" is a different axis from "helpful/harmful."

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7682 on: November 09, 2023, 01:42:10 pm »

Can you, please, define good and evil as an "existentialist"? How do you even differentiate them?

Why exactly murder (or a thought of murder) is evil?
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7683 on: November 09, 2023, 03:40:14 pm »

For me personally evil is "goes against design intent" and good is "aligns with design intent."  This is definitely theist, because it assumes intent.

For a pragmatist I suppose you could say that evil is "goes against the optimal fitness function" and good is "aligns with it".  Others use "evil is things that cause harm for harm's sake, good is avoiding harm as much as possible (given that sometimes 'harm' is physically impractical to avoid, such as generally you have to harm things for some definition of harm in order to get food to live)."

In both cases, there's lots of room for arguing about "what is the design intent" and "what is the optimal fitness function", or "what actually is 'harm'" respectively.

I would say though there is much overlap - I think a ton of "design intent" is avoiding harm as much as possible, stewarding resources, not being a jerk, etc.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7684 on: November 09, 2023, 05:05:10 pm »

I mean... one of the problems I often have with the whole design thing is design is shown by what is done -- a machine does what it's designed to do, and what it ends up doing is what its design dictates. That's not always what a human designer intended for it to do, but... most conceptualizations of a creator god doesn't really get to have that excuse.

If we're built by some sort of god (or at least common conceptualizations of them), we're very intentionally built to do great and often far and away excessive harm to all sorts of things, and some of that is difficult or outright impossible to avoid. Our "design intent" is kinda' fucking horrible if you look at how we function; jackass should have built us to photosynthesize and probably reproduce by parthenogenesis or something, just as a start. Maybe put some more effort into quality controls because holy good goddamn shit do we have problems on that front.

Hell, basically everything living has problems on that front, fucker shouldn't have pushed out a release build while nearly everything still got cancer, good gods. QA team for that one needs to be fired, possibly into the sun.

... but yeah, it's one of the reasons I kinda' hate the whole intelligent design thing, personally, and basically everything adjacent to it. If something designed mankind (or most everything, for that matter) the bastard was bloody malignant. If there's no god behind that, I don't have to live with the knowledge I have a great need to hate the divine with basically every fiber of my being, and that's a much more comforting world, t'me. I can live with uncaring better than I can malice.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 05:07:48 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #7685 on: November 09, 2023, 08:22:49 pm »

I restrict "design intent" to a part of morality and sapience itself. I interpret "in God's image" as "humans have free will and sapience like God does".

Other than that? I am a transhumanist. Fuck this body. I do not believe God would make us susceptible to diseases we could very soon avoid or outright exterminate using technology.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7686 on: November 09, 2023, 08:27:28 pm »

Well that line of argument presupposes that it's possible to get the kind of complexity necessary for agency, without the possibility of even things like cancer.  Kind of like Godel... if you have a sufficiently capable system, there are unprovable things in it; extend to life, "if you have physical beings capable of any kind of agency, then you inevitably have potential for nasty side effects."

I mean, just look at all our machines that we do build, even simple ones - the fact they are all realized in the physical universe means they have failure modes. I think it's probably a mathematical proof that everything has failure modes.

I don't think being "slow" beings powered by photosynthesis, or having asexual reproduction, would solve any of the problems we experience. I'm sure if you had beings capable of forming an opinion, they'd find some way to fight each other; after all, if nothing else, entities are going to compete for access to an energy gradient...

Now why did God create a universe with these rules of physics, including entropy and quantum mechanics? Or why did the universe spontaneously inflate with the rules of physics we have, including entropy and quantum mechanics?  These seem to be... irrelevant questions, given the universe exists.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7687 on: November 09, 2023, 08:29:02 pm »

what the heck, you guys aren't talking about railguns in here at all!
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7688 on: November 09, 2023, 09:30:39 pm »

For me personally evil is "goes against design intent" and good is "aligns with design intent."  This is definitely theist, because it assumes intent.
It doesn't answer how to tell evil from good. I guess the actual answer is to look in a holy book of some kind because there is no other way to determine "the design intent".

Also, you have a very weird version of existentialism fully embracing the absurdity of design intent. Design intent assumes that there is an external purpose to our existence and either I understand existentialism very wrong or it goes against the core idea of existentialism.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #7689 on: November 10, 2023, 12:49:03 am »

Well that line of argument presupposes that it's possible to get the kind of complexity necessary for agency, without the possibility of even things like cancer.  Kind of like Godel... if you have a sufficiently capable system, there are unprovable things in it; extend to life, "if you have physical beings capable of any kind of agency, then you inevitably have potential for nasty side effects."

I mean, just look at all our machines that we do build, even simple ones - the fact they are all realized in the physical universe means they have failure modes. I think it's probably a mathematical proof that everything has failure modes.

I don't think being "slow" beings powered by photosynthesis, or having asexual reproduction, would solve any of the problems we experience. I'm sure if you had beings capable of forming an opinion, they'd find some way to fight each other; after all, if nothing else, entities are going to compete for access to an energy gradient...

Now why did God create a universe with these rules of physics, including entropy and quantum mechanics? Or why did the universe spontaneously inflate with the rules of physics we have, including entropy and quantum mechanics?  These seem to be... irrelevant questions, given the universe exists.
The issue is that yes, you could possibly cure cancer. And Huntington's. And Alzheimer's. And hundreds of other debilitating diseases. Of course conflict will always exist no matter what, but I have little to no respect for the human form. The human mind, sure.

For the record, I think creationism is essentially discredited and so I subscribe to theistic evolution more or less.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7690 on: November 10, 2023, 01:13:08 am »

what the heck, you guys aren't talking about railguns in here at all!
The carefully-avoided topic is the thread-ending railgun.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7691 on: November 10, 2023, 07:28:09 am »

I prefer to get hammered, myself.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7692 on: November 10, 2023, 07:59:03 am »

How to tell good from evil crash course:

You know your mirror neurons, the ones that can allmost make you taste the sprite if I showed or even just described to you how I'm gulping down an ice cold, refreshing, moist because of the condensation can of sprite.

So when these mirror neurons flare up and you feel bad, you know you done fucked up and it's propably too to late remedy the situation, so in future avoid the situation at all cost. That is assuming we're collectively too dense to predict how something is going to make us feel.

That is the thing that is real, realer than being bound to any cultural preconceptions, realer than the entire linguistic superstructure we superimpose onto reality.

At some point you have to permit me to ask: common guys really? are you really being for real here, really?
let

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7693 on: November 10, 2023, 08:15:32 am »

How to tell good from evil crash course:
So when these mirror neurons flare up and you feel bad, you know you done fucked up and it's propably too to late remedy the situation, so in future avoid the situation at all cost.

Do you mean that people feel bad when they do evil things, and that inner conscience is a way to tell good from evil?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7694 on: November 10, 2023, 08:21:44 am »

The so often ascribed to children innocence, would see this clear as the day. It takes "nurture" (most cynical use I ever did of that word) to be able to confuse oneself over this.
let
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 521