Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 799944 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #480 on: March 27, 2015, 05:06:59 pm »

I've found[A version ago, at least], that having no light sources one you and full night vision makes it much easier to kill turrets with thrown junk, since they rely on light to see and you don't.

This is it. If you're not in a lab start just avoid them until you can get a decent firearm and some NV goggles, and you'll be much safer.

Another trick - the turrets give off light, and can only see in that range. Before you enter a room with a potential game-over in it, turn off the flashlight.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 27, 2015, 08:02:13 pm »

Character finally moved into his homemade house building.  Took me ~20 days to move everything out of my tent and into their temporary storage areas.
 . Took me another 20 days or so to build the garage I'm currently sleeping in.  If I ever get the hoouse intended up It'll be a longterm project.

Highlight include:

-Putting on so many vests, sheets, and balnkets that my charact almost burned to death taking them back off.
-Getting attacked by a group of 5 NPCs, each armed with an SMG or shotgun.
-Admiring my collection of 3000 rags, and 1000 logs
-Getting my tent crushed by a group of 30 or so zombies of assorted flavors upon waking up.

Good times . . . and decent skills.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 27, 2015, 08:34:26 pm »

Another trick - the turrets give off light, and can only see in that range. Before you enter a room with a potential game-over in it, turn off the flashlight.
And DON'T go "Ooooh look, an Armory Terminal!" and beeline for it as you are congratulating yourself for staying out of the light of the terminal by the turret :p   RIP Lab Mutant VII...

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 27, 2015, 08:58:55 pm »

So is it INTENDED that "full" night vision only lets you see four-ish squares ahead of you?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 27, 2015, 09:23:30 pm »

So is it INTENDED that "full" night vision only lets you see four-ish squares ahead of you?

I'm pretty sure its more than four, and it varies with moon phases so you're probably at the lower end of that, but yes. You can't actually get night vision to the point where you can see as well as you do at day.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

pedrousz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 27, 2015, 09:25:34 pm »

so I break into a house and found a room with like 10 zombie dogs inside I instantly nope'd out of there, when I was entering another house nearby the dogs broken the windows and started running for me, them I start running and a feral hunter appears on the other side, i look at the road and saw a car and it was working hahah

without this car there was no way that I would survive

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 27, 2015, 09:31:41 pm »

If you mamage to get a car in between you and a pursuing zombie it will attempt to smash through it.  Useful for critter like that.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 27, 2015, 10:17:41 pm »

There is night vision and full night vision.  Regular night vision is just somebody who is a little bit better at seeing in the dark than others, they can see 2 squares around them in pitch black instead of 1. 

Then I think there's High night vision which is about double normal night vision, about 4 tiles. It requires mutations  Makes looting at night easier, but if you end up seeing something at the edge of your vision at that level it's unfortunately still close enough for them to start tracking you by scent in the case of dogs and wolves and such.

Full night vision requires mutations, and while they don't see quite as well as they can in the day in my experience, they can see about as far as one vanilla screen size which is a significant difference.  Enough to drive by if yer careful.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 10:21:51 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 28, 2015, 12:56:17 am »

I think fey vision might let you see at night like its day, and there's some other vision types as well but its been so long since I've played with mutations that I can't really say definitively.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 28, 2015, 01:02:27 am »

There are other sense mutations, including infrared and (I think) scent vision.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 28, 2015, 07:37:13 am »

I think fey vision might let you see at night like its day, and there's some other vision types as well but its been so long since I've played with mutations that I can't really say definitively.

Fey vision gives the same radius as full night vision (I think, it might be a bit different, but its close either way) but Fey vision allows you to read in the dark with no penalties.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 28, 2015, 07:38:43 am »

Yeah I mean I KINDA get why its not as good as normal vision, but also kinda don't. I mean, the things that have full night vision include trogs which are pretty much expected to spend ALL their time in the dark, so it feels weird that they wouldn't be able to see as far as "normal"

Like I said, I kinda get it, but kinda don't.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 28, 2015, 07:56:39 am »

Yeah I mean I KINDA get why its not as good as normal vision, but also kinda don't. I mean, the things that have full night vision include trogs which are pretty much expected to spend ALL their time in the dark, so it feels weird that they wouldn't be able to see as far as "normal"

Like I said, I kinda get it, but kinda don't.
I support the idea that alternative means of sensing things should be available.  Sight requires light.  Kinda a prereq.  At least the way we percieve it and envision it.  SNever got the idea of 'darkvision' except a a way to handwaves other senses.
  I like the idea of infrared.  Would work, because there are heat differences.

- I think the issuse is that we can only display so much information in a game that is visually based. :|

Anyway, most zombis can see 4-5 tiles away at night, so . . .

Edit:  Echolocation ftw.
PKs DF Mod!

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 28, 2015, 09:50:19 am »

I am my own band!
Playing harmonica, saxophon and clarinet at the same time. :D
Now if I can just get my hands on a guitar and some drums...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 28, 2015, 11:43:24 am »

I am my own band!
Playing harmonica, saxophon and clarinet at the same time. :D
Now if I can just get my hands on a guitar and some drums...
Now you just need some zombies, and you'll get this.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 451