Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 799996 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #615 on: April 09, 2015, 12:54:23 pm »

Dogs are what used to be called "fast zombies". I don't think you can enzlave them though.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: April 09, 2015, 02:01:48 pm »

How long have this enslavement thing been in the game? I don't remember seeing in previous versions. Also, how do you do it? An army of zombie mules definitively sounds useful.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: April 09, 2015, 02:27:34 pm »

I don't thing the Fungus and mi-go are in the same boat. I think mi-go are technological, aren't they?
Nah, I'm pretty sure mi-go are netherworld creatures or whatever you want to call them. They're described as being sorta like tentacle-y crustacean thingies.

That said, the word "fungoid" is actually used in their description, if I remember correctly...
I believe right now they are part of the "NETHER" faction, but eventually I'd like to get the some more interesting relationships going between a lot of the Nether creatures (since it's essentially a "catch all" group for everything from ravenous Nether wildlife to minor factions at the moment). Mi-go aren't part of any of the "Big 3" groups (fungus, blob, and triffids), but they are certainly one of the biggest "minor players" out there right now, and they are civilized enough to open up all sorts of NPC-esque actions eventually. (Can you say Mi-go towns?)

How long have this enslavement thing been in the game? I don't remember seeing in previous versions. Also, how do you do it? An army of zombie mules definitively sounds useful.
Z-slaves have been in the experimental since, *quickly checks Github*, early July 2014. So they've been in the experimentals for almost a year now, going in just shortly after the .A release. I believe you need a little bit of survival skill to make one as well as a zombie corpse (which is probably why you never noticed it, butchering/smashing all the corpses) and it hits you pretty hard with a morale penalty usually. Don't quote me on those requirements though, I haven't looked at that particular bit of code that much. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: April 09, 2015, 03:17:59 pm »

I don't thing the Fungus and mi-go are in the same boat. I think mi-go are technological, aren't they?
Nah, I'm pretty sure mi-go are netherworld creatures or whatever you want to call them. They're described as being sorta like tentacle-y crustacean thingies.

That said, the word "fungoid" is actually used in their description, if I remember correctly...
I believe right now they are part of the "NETHER" faction, but eventually I'd like to get the some more interesting relationships going between a lot of the Nether creatures (since it's essentially a "catch all" group for everything from ravenous Nether wildlife to minor factions at the moment). Mi-go aren't part of any of the "Big 3" groups (fungus, blob, and triffids), but they are certainly one of the biggest "minor players" out there right now, and they are civilized enough to open up all sorts of NPC-esque actions eventually. (Can you say Mi-go towns?)
Out of curiosity, how hard is it to create a new faction? Is a faction merely a tag that makes creatures belonging to it neutral to others of the same faction and hostile to those not of it, or are there more attributes than that?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: April 09, 2015, 03:25:20 pm »

The first one. At the moment it's basically defining the factions attitudes (friendly, neutral, or by-mood, and I believe the default is "hostile" ATM) towards other factions and then sticking the tag onto the monster.

Part of what's currently holding the idea back is the lack of a growing world. Right now for a lot of the factions you are only seeing the barest edge of them; once we have a growing world that evolves through time I'd like to expand some of them out so you can start to see more of each faction and start to see some more of the interrelations between them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: April 09, 2015, 04:24:26 pm »

~snip
~snip
~snip
~wowsomanysnips
Z-slaves have been in the experimental since, *quickly checks Github*, early July 2014. So they've been in the experimentals for almost a year now, going in just shortly after the .A release. I believe you need a little bit of survival skill to make one as well as a zombie corpse (which is probably why you never noticed it, butchering/smashing all the corpses) and it hits you pretty hard with a morale penalty usually. Don't quote me on those requirements though, I haven't looked at that particular bit of code that much. :P

Oh. That was long before I started, then. I believe I got the game not too long after the 0.B release. The fact that they don't seem to be mentioned on the wiki is probably why I never noticed them. I'm definitively gonna play with that now :P
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: April 09, 2015, 05:16:40 pm »

MWUHAHAHAHA

I just found a Gun Nut's basement stacked to the brim with guns and ammo. And a nodachi.

Picked what seems to be a good set to strap on. I don't think I'll fall short of gunpower on my town raids now lol
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 05:37:29 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: April 09, 2015, 05:28:39 pm »

martinuzz just so you know you can stack leather and Kevlar reinforcement, so go chop up some sneakers and throw some leather on all that shit.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: April 09, 2015, 05:37:05 pm »

martinuzz just so you know you can stack leather and Kevlar reinforcement, so go chop up some sneakers and throw some leather on all that shit.

Oh! That's good to know, thanks. Too bad you can't selectively remove padding, or I could add and remove fur according to the season.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: April 09, 2015, 05:37:55 pm »

Snap, you can stack kevlar and leather? Does it increase encumbrance at all?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: April 09, 2015, 05:43:09 pm »

Nope. Using a tailor's kit to add padding does not increase encumberment at all. It's awesome. No reason not to pad everything with everything.

EDIT: well, except fur, I can imagine that being too hot in summer.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 05:45:43 pm by martinuzz »

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: April 09, 2015, 05:47:59 pm »

Welp, looks like it's time to turn my French maid outfit into a metal-plated French maid outfit and feel like a badass.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: April 09, 2015, 06:59:36 pm »

Welp, looks like it's time to turn my French maid outfit into a metal-plated French maid outfit and feel like a badass.

Kevlar padding a leather corset is where it's at, ho.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: April 09, 2015, 07:09:55 pm »

Do we have a proper implementation of tripping balls with LSD yet ? That and working NPCs.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: April 09, 2015, 07:20:45 pm »

Trippingballs has been in for a long while (Dont believe me? Be schizophrenic in the game), and NPCs have been worked on some. They arent fully done, but they now have a pair of braincells to rub together.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 451