Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803289 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Last I knew, getting water off yourself. Toweling off.

I never really used them, I never noticed being wet impacting me too much. If I mutated into a wet-mad creature I'd probably use it more.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Getting water off yourself, and IIRC anything else you might find on your body or face that's unwelcome, i.e. Boomer bile.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile

Woohoo! Just built my electric atv. Perfect for traveling around in. Now I just need to hurridly disassemble shit to get my 6th lvl in mechanics so those upgraded solar panels I found can be installed. Here is to hoping I actually make it to the bridge before I run out of juice in the batteries!

8Edit* Well, I got halfway there. Maybe heavy duty frames wasn't such a smart idea. Does speed affect how quickly the batteries drain?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 04:22:58 pm by Xardalas »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

Defense mode is great fun, except for the fact that every bloody map seems to be overrun with giant worker ants, no matter the prefs.
Grenades are excellent
Triffid queens are merciless
Turrets are a trap - they have something like a 50-50 chance to murder you when you put them down. Buy manhacks - they're ten times more expensive, but zombies can barely hit them and they're eassy to take down if they go rogue.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Does speed affect how quickly the batteries drain?

Yes. Your engine is using more power to get up to that speed. I would assume heavier weight would increase power/fuel consumption since the engine has to work harder to move a heavier mass.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

That's a physics answer, not a "is this how it works in game?" answer :P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

pedrousz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so I'm not really good with computer, but today I start changing somethings on json of buildings to see if I'm able to create something that might help to pay off a little of the fun that I had it with, but I have a question... How do I test if the building that I '''created''' works or is just broken, etc?

ejseto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Does speed affect how quickly the batteries drain?

Indirectly. In order to gain speed, you must thrust. In order to thrust, the engine must consume fuel. If there were Z-levels, you could perhaps coast downhill, but since that's not in the game, the only way to gain velocity is through an engine consuming fuel. If you were to turn off cruise-control and just coast on inertia, I believe the engine would only use idle power which is the minimum of the alternator load and 1% of its max output, but, of course, it would use this while completely stationary as long as the engine is on, as well.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Seems odd for electric motors to need idle power. It's not as if they need to be ticking over.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

ejseto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seems odd for electric motors to need idle power. It's not as if they need to be ticking over.

Well you can't put an alternator on an electric motor since that would just waste power. But I assume the minimum idle power is simply to keep the motor spinning against its own friction (as well as resistive losses for electric motors) even if the transmission isn't engaged.

Silicoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so I'm not really good with computer, but today I start changing somethings on json of buildings to see if I'm able to create something that might help to pay off a little of the fun that I had it with, but I have a question... How do I test if the building that I '''created''' works or is just broken, etc?
The quick answer:

Use the debug menu, and go into the map editor, and press o, which will take you into mapgen, where you can load a building into a map square.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Well you can't put an alternator on an electric motor since that would just waste power. But I assume the minimum idle power is simply to keep the motor spinning against its own friction (as well as resistive losses for electric motors) even if the transmission isn't engaged.
But why would a motor ever need to be doing that? With a petrol or diesel engine then fair enough, because to stop and start the engine you need to have the starter motor going and it takes a while and if something happens like the battery goes flat or it's too cold the engine might not start at all. But with an electric motor there's really no reason to have it running if it's not actually driving the vehicle, since a motor can be stopped and started near-instantaneously and at no risk of failure above leaving it on.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Yeah, about the only thing you'd ever need to keep an electric motor spinning for is to keep any lubricants involved from freezing, and even that can very well be achieved for less energy by simply using a heater.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

I held off a very long time before picking this back up, and I'm a bit sad to say that I'm rather disappointed at the changes.

On the positive side the system where animals fight zombies, monsters, and each other is pretty cool, there have been a lot of cool additions, and some very nice UI changes that make actual gameplay a bit more approachable, the sub-menus for crafting are of special note here, new vehicle mechanics LOOK very cool, I'll get back to those if I can ever get a survivor to last more than a few hours.

On the negative side, I really don't like the changes to temperature mechanics, starting in spring with snow still falling, and having to go into the city to do some scavenging has universally lead to my death through the inevitable slowing due to cold.  While this would be excusable in the dead of winter, it makes less than no sense (to me at least), that I should be functionally freezing to death while wearing a winter coat.  I find that zombie swarming is now vastly more unreasonable, seriously, I get into a fight with one zombie and suddenly every single animate corpse within the surrounding eight tiles comes swarming in, I can deal with that, but not when I'm also freezing for no explicable reason.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile

Start in summer then?
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 451