Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 799956 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #1275 on: May 25, 2015, 11:59:33 pm »

I always had better luck with mingw over codeblocks back with the original whales code.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: May 26, 2015, 02:00:17 am »

As far as I know, if you go to http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/26 and download/install codeblocks-13.12mingw-setup-TDM-GCC-481.exe, it should be a recent enough gcc that it will build cataclysm.  If not, report the issue, and we will fix it, we are already avoiding several library calls that are broken in that particular gcc version (map::emplace() for whatever reason) in order to maintain compatibility with a very commonly used build tool.  Unfortunately there's no automated test for that build failing, since Jenkins uses (must use) a cross-compiler instead of TDM-GCC.

Mingw also has some missing pieces of c++11 support (std::to_string()) that we're working around, as well as broken support for even older functionality that has something to do with conflicting Windows headers, but we also do our best to maintain compatibility with a reasonably recent Mingw (4.9.0), precisely because it's such a popular tool.

If you're insisting on building with SDL from the start, you're doing it to yourself, there's a reason those are optional dependencies, it's because dependencies in general, and SDL in particular are a pain in the ass to deal with.  We've put a lot of work into keeping SDL, gettext, and lua as optional dependencies exactly because we want it to be as easy as possible to build the project.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: May 26, 2015, 02:33:16 am »

As far as I know, if you go to http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/26 and download/install codeblocks-13.12mingw-setup-TDM-GCC-481.exe, it should be a recent enough gcc that it will build cataclysm.  If not, report the issue, and we will fix it, we are already avoiding several library calls that are broken in that particular gcc version (map::emplace() for whatever reason) in order to maintain compatibility with a very commonly used build tool.  Unfortunately there's no automated test for that build failing, since Jenkins uses (must use) a cross-compiler instead of TDM-GCC.

Mingw also has some missing pieces of c++11 support (std::to_string()) that we're working around, as well as broken support for even older functionality that has something to do with conflicting Windows headers, but we also do our best to maintain compatibility with a reasonably recent Mingw (4.9.0), precisely because it's such a popular tool.

If you're insisting on building with SDL from the start, you're doing it to yourself, there's a reason those are optional dependencies, it's because dependencies in general, and SDL in particular are a pain in the ass to deal with.  We've put a lot of work into keeping SDL, gettext, and lua as optional dependencies exactly because we want it to be as easy as possible to build the project.
It's usually good enough to build the terminal version if you're adding mechanics to the game, or fixing bugs. Unfortunately the thing I want to do most now, requires me to meddle in SDL.

That, and I really like my font setup too much to use the "all in one font" terminal version. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

ejseto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: May 26, 2015, 07:20:20 am »

I have a single folder called WinDepend that holds all required files arrayed as they need to be. All relevant project paths are simplified to "/WinDepend". I had no trouble setting up either Code::Blocks or the GCC compiler.

Of course, it might have changed since I last worked on it.

The .cbp has changed, in a piecemeal and incomplete manner. The libraries point to SDL1, while SDL2 is now used. You can't compile the tiles version straight out of the box, even with the correct libraries, because the .cbp doesn't even use the correct libraries.

Why the hostility? "Building SDL from the start" is "doing it to yourself?" How is hitting CTRL-F9 going to compile the console version going to teach you anything about how libraries work? There is no way to learn this without either being taught, or stumbling your own way through by reading the compiler errors. There is no gentle learning curve here. Compiling the console version is not a tutorial. Why even bother with SDL support if you're going to make it impossible for a newbie to actually start tinkering with it? "Oh, this is hard, you're on your own, and it's your own fault, I'm going to now laugh at your pitiful attempts to find documentation, huehuehue."

Some of us play tiles. Some of us want to add mechanics. Some of these mechanics aren't worth sharing because frankly they might not be balanced. We shouldn't be forced into this false dichotomy of either tinkering or tiles. The fact that the .cbp THAT COMES WITH THE REPO will NOT work is a serious problem. Not only will it not compile tiles, but since it's part of the repo, it will OVERWRITE my changes, forcing me to commit changes to a file I shouldn't have to, which will likely result in merge conflicts down the road, even if due to Git's incompetence these conflicts don't actually contain any conflicts.

Telling people they can't tinker unless they compile the console version or complete Hercules' 12 Labors is extremely short-sighted. A lot (if not most or even all) people tinker because they enjoy the game. If they're playing tiles, and it comes to either actually playing with their tinkered game in console mode or playing stock tiles, how many do you think will choose console? Do you really want an additional barrier to dev entry?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: May 26, 2015, 08:21:35 am »

I have a single folder called WinDepend that holds all required files arrayed as they need to be. All relevant project paths are simplified to "/WinDepend". I had no trouble setting up either Code::Blocks or the GCC compiler.

Of course, it might have changed since I last worked on it.

The .cbp has changed, in a piecemeal and incomplete manner. The libraries point to SDL1, while SDL2 is now used. You can't compile the tiles version straight out of the box, even with the correct libraries, because the .cbp doesn't even use the correct libraries.
No, that sounds about right. Just set up your dependencies folder and change all paths to point to it. Should really be just one line in every path list, "WinDepend", assuming you put it into the project folder like I did.

The reason it's out of date in that regard is because hardly anyone works on the SDL builds specifically. Especially on Windows. You can add and test mechanics with the curses build, and the Jenkins compiler (I'm assuming that's what the online compiler service thing is called) handles the different versions from there. This means people who need to work with Windows-SDL are rare enough that they can usually just fend for themselves.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: May 26, 2015, 01:46:04 pm »

The reason it's out of date in that regard is because hardly anyone works on the SDL builds specifically. Especially on Windows. You can add and test mechanics with the curses build, and the Jenkins compiler (I'm assuming that's what the online compiler service thing is called) handles the different versions from there. This means people who need to work with Windows-SDL are rare enough that they can usually just fend for themselves.
Pretty much this. Just about any sort of mechanic change that you want to change and build can be done on the curses version, and Jenkins handles all of the actual builds. There is literally no reason why you would ever need an SDL build for developing unless you were specifically tinkering with the SDL stuff yourself.

On the other hand, if you can see a way to update the Code::Blocks project to make it easier for people to compile the SDL version (without forcing everyone who isn't planning to compile it with SDL to download libraries they will never need) then feel free to do it and PR a change, which I'm sure would go in. The fact is that it's Open-Source, so if you see improvements you can make then feel free to throw up a PR. I know that I will never be making them, because I'm never going to use the SDL version (and I know a fair number of the other devs feel similarly), but that doesn't mean that we're against them if somebody else wants to. It just means that they are pretty low on our priority lists (and thus there are tons of things above them). Then if there's no documentation, then write some, and then there will be some for everybody else. I'm certainly not going to do it, because I don't use it enough to particularly care how it works. :P

That said I know that I would certainly love it if somebody wanted to come in and make sure the SDL builds and C::B projects were totally up to date and working, because it would mean less things that I have to worry about breaking by accident.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ejseto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: May 26, 2015, 04:46:56 pm »

Then if there's no documentation, then write some, and then there will be some for everybody else.

I just did. It's on this page (edit: or the previous page at least) in fact. I understand your position of, "It's not worth my time," certainly. But I think it's short-sighted to say there's no reason for it. My own personal experience is that I've made a lot of modifications that weren't worth sharing because they're borderline (or outright) cheats. Some of these things resulted in "spill-over," things that were worth merging and did get merged. If people like me were to be presented with the choice to mod the console version or play stock tiles, how many would just abandon the entire endeavor? Not everyone mods for the community. Some mod for themselves. But that doesn't mean the community won't benefit.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: May 26, 2015, 05:53:48 pm »

Then if there's no documentation, then write some, and then there will be some for everybody else.

I just did. It's on this page (edit: or the previous page at least) in fact. I understand your position of, "It's not worth my time," certainly. But I think it's short-sighted to say there's no reason for it. My own personal experience is that I've made a lot of modifications that weren't worth sharing because they're borderline (or outright) cheats. Some of these things resulted in "spill-over," things that were worth merging and did get merged. If people like me were to be presented with the choice to mod the console version or play stock tiles, how many would just abandon the entire endeavor? Not everyone mods for the community. Some mod for themselves. But that doesn't mean the community won't benefit.

Well, make it official and put it up on github. Since it's open-source, "devs" means "any one who puts something into it" so be a dev!

ejseto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: May 26, 2015, 06:00:47 pm »

Well, make it official and put it up on github. Since it's open-source, "devs" means "any one who puts something into it" so be a dev!

It's a step-by-step tutorial on how to compile the tiles version. What am I supposed to do, PR a text file? If someone wants to include it in the docs, that's fine by me, but I wouldn't know where to put it. It's also not exactly professional, since I express my exasperation with the process repeatedly.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: May 26, 2015, 10:37:33 pm »

I was farming giant ants near my home and a jabberwock showed up.

Dozens of giant ants died.

The Jabberwock was killed.

I've let the ants be for the time being, they've earned it.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: May 26, 2015, 11:29:37 pm »

What am I supposed to do, PR a text file? If someone wants to include it in the docs, that's fine by me, but I wouldn't know where to put it. It's also not exactly professional, since I express my exasperation with the process repeatedly.
Yes? We have a docs folder precisely for things like this. Ideally you would PR any fixes for broken links in the Code::Blocks project that you found as well, but if a text file is all you have then that's perfectly fine to go in. If you feel it isn't professional then cut out the parts of it that you don't think are professional and put what's left into a text file. I assure you that any writeup that I do isn't going to be any better than the one that you have there. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: May 27, 2015, 02:26:12 am »

Oh my god. I just downloaded the latest experimental (the last one I downloaded a week or two ago crashed after five minutes of playing).

...Holy shit. The tileset. The crafting. The faction fighting.

I FUCKING LOVE CATACLYSM TEN TIMES MORE THAN I DID, WHICH MAKES HOW MUCH I LOVE CATACLYSM 10X389172398712387^10

Seriously. I have insomnia tonight and have been pretty negative. This fixed that. Long live great games!

CATACLYSM IS THE ANSWER TO NEGATIVITY! :D

Also - My character was named after me. Rolled a Survivalist (Using the in the woods mod). Set up my shelter/roll near a river. Took a long time checking my new crafting options. Was immediately overwhelmed by the sheer number of things I could craft.

I was only moderately bothered when I committed suicide. The reason? I didn't want to be a 7 point profession (I figure it'll be too easy). My tombstone: I was too awesome.

I urge all of you who haven't already to play this game immediately. Like right now. :D

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: May 27, 2015, 08:22:57 am »

I urge all of you who haven't already to play this game immediately. Like right now. :D

We've been playing for years. Thanks, though.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: May 27, 2015, 08:58:40 am »

Speaking of PRing text files, would it be in any way advisable to make the game default to two different fonts for the game/map windows, and the respective sidebars? Standard squished font for sidebars with all the text, square font for maps, now that it comes with a square and a a non-square font by default. There's no way to do it from within the game, and I don't know how many people even know it's possible to do it.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: May 27, 2015, 02:54:46 pm »

Question about fireplaces and fuel:
I have been using splintered wood in a fireplace for cooking and night time light.
Recently I went and chopped down a tree, thinking logs would be better/more efficient fuel.
But I notice that one log burns for about ten minutes (enough to cook one clean water), while just two splintered wood will burn for enough time to cook several bottles of water.
that can't be right... can it?

Is there a better solution for wood fuel?

thanks.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 451