Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803045 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #2205 on: September 18, 2015, 04:52:21 am »

Another problem with caseless rounds is that the propellant comes into direct contact with the weapon, causing overheating when it fires, particularly for automatic weapons.
Yep, but this is the game with super alloy, and thats what the guns are made of (along with ceramic, which may actually be what the breach is made of...)
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: September 18, 2015, 10:08:49 am »

Gyrojets and other rocket-propelled or recoilless projectiles could possibly be considered 'caseless', in that the casing is usually fused to the projectile.

As for more 'conventional' caseless weapons, I'd be willing to bet we have the technology now to make one that worked despite a lot of the flaws. It's usually just a matter of cost.
Nothing important here, move along.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: September 18, 2015, 10:17:16 am »

No, I mean, caseless SHOT?
As in, pellets?
Isn't that impossible?
thincake

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: September 18, 2015, 10:17:54 am »

No. It's called a blunderbuss.

More seriously, that would actually be way easier than bullets. All you need to do is set the pellets in wax and glue it to a solid propellant charge.

As long as it didn't destroy itself in a pump- or lever-action, it would probably work about the same as normal. If you have a break-action, it would be perfect.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 10:21:25 am by TheBronzePickle »
Nothing important here, move along.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: September 18, 2015, 10:27:51 am »

Why is it "impossible"?  Just as a quick first thought, why couldn't they be held  together magnetically?   Or with a light adhesive substance that would break apart from the heat/shock of firing?

ED:  There's no *major* advantage to it though, because the shotgun shot casing/wadding is fired out the barrel like the projectile(s), so as long as it's light and low volume, who cares.  Plus, in current caseless ammuntion, the projectile is already embedded in the propellant, seems relatively simple to do it for multiple projectiles/something that will split into multiple projectiles...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 10:37:46 am by gimlet »

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: September 18, 2015, 10:31:15 am »

Oh whoop
forgot alternatives hr
thincake

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2211 on: September 18, 2015, 10:55:48 am »

Why is it "impossible"?  Just as a quick first thought, why couldn't they be held  together magnetically?   Or with a light adhesive substance that would break apart from the heat/shock of firing?
Magnetically, ok... Not only would the ammo be quite a bit more expensive, but now you have a nightmare of filings to deal with.
Other than a sabot-style round, I don't see how the adhesive idea would be feasible for caseless ammo, since if they fall apart upon detonation, you're likely to have pellets remain in the barrel, and that's a nightmare for rapid firing. Rapid firing is one of the intended advantages of caseless, so there goes that.

No. It's called a blunderbuss.
More seriously, that would actually be way easier than bullets. All you need to do is set the pellets in wax and glue it to a solid propellant charge.
This is basically a wax slug, which doesn't behave at all like shot, negating the reason for asking the question in the first place.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: September 18, 2015, 11:09:44 am »

Cost?  Who cares about cost?  It's not like a lot of the other Rivtech guns appear to have budget in mind.  Unless you have a cheap source of refined plutonium...

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: September 18, 2015, 12:02:38 pm »

You know these theories could be tested IRL. Just get some shells and fill them with wax, magnets, etc. Your shotgun will be fine, through maybe in need of cleaning.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2214 on: September 18, 2015, 12:04:56 pm »

You know these theories could be tested IRL. Just get some shells and fill them with wax, magnets, etc. Your shotgun will be fine, through maybe in need of cleaning.
They have been. Extensively.
Not hard to turn up many videos on it.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: September 18, 2015, 12:13:25 pm »

"Other than a sabot-style round, I don't see how the adhesive idea would be feasible for caseless ammo, since if they fall apart upon detonation, you're likely to have pellets remain in the barrel, and that's a nightmare for rapid firing. Rapid firing is one of the intended advantages of caseless, so there goes that." (On phone, sorry)
Unlikely that anything would stay in the barrel useless it's coming off the following round, in which case It wouldn't matter. When that round fired it would push any loose pellets out. The largest problem I see with adhesive/wax is that it may stick to the inside of the barrel, then make it's way into the firing mechanisms.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2216 on: September 18, 2015, 01:11:40 pm »

If the shot were small enough, I'd agree that consecutive shots would keep the barrel relatively clear, but anything that is larger than say, 1/3 the diameter, would present a severe risk of damage if one were left behind. Again, unlikely as you said, but much more possible than other shot rounds that have a cup or other barrel-sealing backing.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: September 18, 2015, 01:26:04 pm »

You'd still use compressed wadding to clear the barrel on firing. It's integral to the shell to keep the pressurized gas contained enough to push the shot out of the barrel.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: September 18, 2015, 01:47:07 pm »

It's integral to the shell to keep the pressurized gas contained enough to push the shot out of the barrel.
This right here is the main reason that we use sabots instead of just loose pellets. If you don't have a proper seal (like you wouldn't with loose pellets, or magnetic pellets, or something similar) then you are going to take huge range and speed (and therefore damage) hits.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2219 on: September 18, 2015, 05:35:08 pm »

My whole point has been that actual caseless ammo doesn't use wads or shotcups.
Suppose it's more of a technical issue than anything. Considering the thread, I see nothing unusual about that. ;)
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 451