Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803216 times)

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #2235 on: September 19, 2015, 06:57:07 pm »

Hasn't the survivor surpassed the limitations of rationality yet? You can make nuclear powered cars, install bionics into yourself, mutate into things that aren't just a sterile human, and do it all after a week of reading.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2236 on: September 19, 2015, 07:12:48 pm »

Hasn't the survivor surpassed the limitations of rationality yet? You can make nuclear powered cars, install bionics into yourself, mutate into things that aren't just a sterile human, and do it all after a week of reading.
yeah but NOT CERAMICS!

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: September 19, 2015, 07:30:31 pm »

It's not really a matter of whether it makes that much sense anyways, the time and interest of the devs/modders has basically always been the deciding factor of what and how quickly something gets added.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2238 on: September 19, 2015, 08:56:09 pm »

Ceramics don't really belong in (melee) weapons anyway. They're light and strong, sure, but they're brittle, and anything more than a slight flex means a shattered weapon.
Additionally, they're quite susceptible to concussive forces, again, causing (or at least hastening) shattering.
Ceramic knives are great in situations where they're not going to be put under undue stress, like in a lab or kitchen setting.
To top it off, there's no repairing something make of ceramic. It's either ok, or it's effectively worthless.
The only way a ceramic knife could be feasible in combat is if you're packing a few dozen of them and expect to replace the knife with each hit.

I could be convinced that ceramics as something like barrel lining would be feasible, but even that would be a hard sell.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: September 19, 2015, 09:52:45 pm »

Nah man just stick some carbon nano tubes in there, s'all good.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: September 20, 2015, 02:23:12 am »

Ceramic lining around a nano-tube core? Or carbon nano-tube around ceramic core o.O? im all confused now.... hehe
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: September 20, 2015, 02:57:08 am »

Need more hermetically sealed titanium sarcophagi.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: September 20, 2015, 05:09:40 am »

You can make nuclear powered cars

Using factory made plutonium power cells and reactors.

install bionics into yourself

Using self-installing CBM packs.

mutate into things that aren't just a sterile human

Using alien goo magical thing.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: September 20, 2015, 08:08:41 am »

You can make nuclear powered cars

Using factory made plutonium power cells and reactors.

install bionics into yourself

Using self-installing CBM packs.

mutate into things that aren't just a sterile human

Using alien goo magical thing.

Ok, how bout making high powered energy rifles with nothing but a vacutainer and a collection of common circuit components?
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: September 20, 2015, 08:16:38 am »

Uh, don't remember than one. But do note that the survivor is unable to create even normal rifles and guns. Precision manufacturing is not something he does.

Still, I don't see what ceramics would add, or how the survivor would be able to manufacture them (unless with some kind of specialized machine, like the cvd machine that let you diamond-coat blades).

Anyway, I generally think that crafting stuff is too easy and would like to see more emphasis on foraging and scavenging.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: September 20, 2015, 09:00:33 am »

Still, I don't see what ceramics would add, or how the survivor would be able to manufacture them (unless with some kind of specialized machine, like the cvd machine that let you diamond-coat blades).

According to fluff(ceramic shard description, if I recall) it's implied that the CVD machine would allow that.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: September 20, 2015, 09:09:04 am »

I agree, I don't think ceramics are going to add a ton to the game.

But yeah, NX-17 Charge Rifles can be made with a vacutainer, 8 amplifier circuits, and 8 circuit boards. I always thought that one was a  bit silly.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: September 20, 2015, 10:26:43 am »

Find some wreckage.

Notice Zombie grenadier nearby.

Never fought one, should be fun for my bionic assassin.

Cue teleporting manhacks. The teargas ones that it started with weren't bad. The instagib c4 ones took my health on all parts to red and my pain to 331.

I think something is wrong with the grenadier manhack spawn code.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: September 20, 2015, 10:29:07 am »

Nah, that's just how they work. Gotta kill em fast from range, or shoot down the drones, I think.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: September 20, 2015, 11:10:44 am »

Nah, that's just how they work. Gotta kill em fast from range, or shoot down the drones, I think.
The man hacks literally appear next to you when the grenadier opens their pouch? From over a map tile away? He was at vision range for my survivor.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 451