Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 800011 times)

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #3975 on: October 15, 2016, 01:51:40 pm »

So, I'm curious. What settings do you guys use in World Gen?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: October 15, 2016, 01:55:13 pm »

Spoiler: these (click to show/hide)

and oc my own mod
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: October 15, 2016, 01:57:55 pm »

Damn, that's a pretty difficult start lol.

I've just recently gotten back into Cata and I can usually survive a couple of days but I usually die pretty quickly after that. Do you have any suggestions on what to do in the start of the game? (The wiki is woefully outdated)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: October 15, 2016, 02:02:27 pm »

Depends on where you are, your skills, and you immediate needs.

In general, priorities are:

-Running away from things
-Getting armor and warmth
-Getting a weapon
-Killing things
-Getting food and water for the immediate future
-Getting a flashlight/hacksaw/wrench
-Getting a working car or the books you want for your skills
-Getting water and food for the future
-Gaining skills

I do nighttime starts, which means that leaving my burning house is the most dangerous part of my start.

A few days into the game Im still reading UtH or Sewing up a suit of decent armor.  I dont night raid without a car, and I scout in the day for a night raid.

Nighttime is much, much more dangerous now that zombies can smell and hear better.  All monsters can but its most evident in them because I used to duck and weave through town.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: October 15, 2016, 02:20:01 pm »

How much priority should be placed into getting a car? Do you usually set up a base of operations and if so, where?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: October 15, 2016, 02:29:52 pm »

:|

Well. Getting a car has been made harder.  Theres faulty engines, more cars have less useful things on them, and skillgain is somewhat slower.
   Deathmobiles are a thing of the distant future.  I think the last time I got one up and running it was a partial conversion and it took a season.  From winter to spring year 2 I did nothing but puttputt in my car.

Its important to have a place to put your crap.  A shopping cart does well at first, theres tents all over the place, and if you get a running car you can really go anywhere.  Its really about what you wanna do.

iirc you do LPs of this.

So, get into a world.   Make a base in the woods using a tent, and see if you feel okay LPing your way through it.  Tents can be found at campsites.

but, youre asking for very vague advise.  Specifics are much better.
PKs DF Mod!

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: October 15, 2016, 02:38:14 pm »

but, youre asking for very vague advise.  Specifics are much better.

That I am, sorry about that. :P

Just never been good at the game and I'm not sure what to ask lol.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: October 15, 2016, 04:07:50 pm »

I mean, strictly speaking you don't need a vehicle... it's just that once you start to strip an area of nonrenewable loot it will become more and more of a pain in the ass to get to untapped spawns. I prefer the "build up a base in the woods, then put together a vehicle" approach, but that's because I play with really large and fairly dense cities, so there's more within reasonable (<12h) running distance.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: October 15, 2016, 04:10:01 pm »

I think priorities depend on game style. I tend to take night vision and scout during day for interesting map locations, raid them during night. Then I spend days in my shelter/base reading books and sleeping, maybe setting up traps. I usually get bored and quit before building mobile base or something, since after a certain point just surviving loses its appeal.

This is not critique as such, I've sunk a lot of hours in Cataclysm - it is just that once survival is no longer a challenge, I lose interest in playing the character. Perhaps one day we get long term goals or attachments to settlements and stuff, starting up settlements of ouir own.

Mind you, I don't even use vehicles because controlling them is something I've never bothered to learn. When I explore away from base, I just carry enough to survive walking and try to avoid megamonsies.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: October 15, 2016, 04:17:55 pm »

Controlling vehicles isint that hard, atleast when using the numpad and with a stable design.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: October 15, 2016, 08:36:23 pm »

A moose just kicked me through a wall, collapsing part of the roof and bumping me 70 points up in pain, up to 118.
The entire front hallway of what used to be my house is rubble.
Life's tough in the Cataclysm.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: October 16, 2016, 12:31:15 am »

Controlling vehicles isint that hard, atleast when using the numpad and with a stable design.

The direction marker out front also helps.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: October 16, 2016, 12:29:25 pm »

A moose just kicked me through a wall, collapsing part of the roof and bumping me 70 points up in pain, up to 118.
The entire front hallway of what used to be my house is rubble.
Life's tough in the Cataclysm.

Jesus Christ, that moose knows kung-fu.

I think priorities depend on game style. I tend to take night vision and scout during day for interesting map locations, raid them during night. Then I spend days in my shelter/base reading books and sleeping, maybe setting up traps. I usually get bored and quit before building mobile base or something, since after a certain point just surviving loses its appeal.

This is not critique as such, I've sunk a lot of hours in Cataclysm - it is just that once survival is no longer a challenge, I lose interest in playing the character. Perhaps one day we get long term goals or attachments to settlements and stuff, starting up settlements of ouir own.

NPC's are kind of a mess right now. From what I gather there isn't really anyone who has both the knowledge and inclination to poke at them and make them more interesting, or even just fix the broken features that are already in. To make matters worse, someone will occasionally make a pass at some issue, abandon the effort halfway through, and leave code artifacts behind that need to be cleaned up by the next person. As much as I'd like to see NPC settlements and a realized faction system, I'm not really even holding out hope that the bulletin board will be fixed anytime soon.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: October 16, 2016, 12:50:41 pm »

IIRC a few of the developers have agreed that what really needs to be done is throwing out and replacing most of the NPC code. There's a ton of useless, broken features, like the bulletin board; their AI is still extremely poor, and the player still has to jump through a ton of hoops to perform basic "maintenance" on their companions. There's also stuff like random NPCs trying to mug the player with no weapons, or companions insisting that an ill-fitting lab coat with a duffel bag is better than a custom-tailored, armored trench coat.

Refugee centers are the only thing that's reasonably playable, and even then there's a lot of issues, like "guards" spawning as unarmed wimps with no combat skill, NPCs locking themselves out of the building with the only way to coax them back inside being moving a non-pulped corpse into their line of sight, or the Arsonist destroying the building when they try to help fight zombies that got inside.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: October 16, 2016, 01:10:56 pm »

IIRC (it's been a while since I last had the opportunity to sink time into C:DDA due to college eating up my life :-\) a big issue was the way they were used in underlying code; since they are a subset of the player class there is a lot of behind the scenes separation that needs to happen before they can really be improved. Once that all gets cut out and separated they'd have a much better chance at being improved, but it's pretty thankless work and it's not very visible.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 451