Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803127 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #4755 on: August 12, 2017, 10:08:07 pm »

Hammer that man!
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: August 12, 2017, 10:11:00 pm »

It's been awhile but I think that since those others mentioned are gone he is essentially the default leader of the project now.  So despite him being ...him... and it being a community project, I think he's the only one left with any kind of real authority.

I may be mistaken of course.

EDIT: Also just as an aside, just in case Kevin reads this, you do see all the distaste being directed your way don't you?  Here, on the github and on the cata forums right?  Doesn't that kinda tell you that you might be doing something wrong?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 10:13:45 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: August 12, 2017, 11:25:56 pm »

I'm not sure Kevin even comes over here. I don't remember ever seeing anything from him here.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: August 12, 2017, 11:27:28 pm »

Sounds like y'all should just ban Kevin, tbh. Why don't ya? (and unban the Noodler)

And unban the drago-nowait nah, I don't really wanna be a contributor again.

And honestly, people have told Kevin straight up what he does is wrong, and I know I've made at least a few attempts back in my day to discuss things more discreetly in forum PMs. It never does any good, no matter who says it to him, what they say, or how they say it.

That said I kinda doubt he'd be on here, but having seen him on the CDDA Discord had been just as big a surprise.

EDIT:

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 12:11:12 am by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: August 13, 2017, 12:52:00 pm »

Dangernoodle is banned? Aw.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: August 13, 2017, 12:55:01 pm »

It took me awhile to remember I could even thumbs up or down posts.  So I ended up giving kevin a thumbs down almost a day after I posted that heh.  Impressed my little 'tired of his shit' explosion is getting backed by so many people.  I was honestly expecting to just be banned from contributions within an hour*.

*Not like I do much, all I ever did to get that contributor tag was restructure a few recipe json files to make sense.  Which if I recall correctly Kevin was all for back in the early days.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: August 13, 2017, 01:09:45 pm »

That actually is surprising. Still, Coolthulhu added a thumbs-up too. Hell, if Kevin makes a shitstorm out of it, feel free to use that screenshot to indicate what kinda support this is getting.

I'd thumbs up too if I wasn't also blocked. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: August 13, 2017, 01:20:27 pm »

It's pretty much known that coolthulu is tired of his shit too.  He has a mod on the cata forums that isn't being made mainline because... cross forum quote

"He [Kevin] wants the implementation to be done his way and considers that more important than what players want."

To say that openly on a forum Kevin controls, pretty much nails that there is no love between the two.  (In the interest of fairness, In the same thread Kevin does respond, and claims other reasons why it wasn't merged, but I'm not in the mood to look into it further for the sake of an aside.)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 01:27:29 pm by Greiger »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: August 13, 2017, 01:31:30 pm »

The idea I got when I saw that was that Kevin wants to fix ranged stuff himself, and doesn't care that it'll break things in the meantime.

Then again, I haven't really been affected by the ranged wonkiness, even before it was fucked up you tend to miss a lot outside of 10 tiles. If I'm not close enough to get 100% hit rate I tend to reeee.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: August 13, 2017, 01:32:03 pm »

Kevin just replied back to the thread citing the development hierarchy and initial failure of the voting system. I think it might just be time to do a massive fork.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: August 13, 2017, 01:36:53 pm »

Ah, just saw that. I like how he disregarded the fact that "I can't be da boss" was cited as a positive for forking.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: August 13, 2017, 01:47:56 pm »

May I ask:  why isn't there a fork? Seems to me there are a lot of code-contributors unhappy with Granade's leadership.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: August 13, 2017, 02:02:39 pm »

Probably because any fork would be seen as less legitimate than the main.  That and I suppose people do still want to try and salvage what we already have.   It's like open office vs open libre.

Open libre is a fork of open office.  Open libre was forked because they did not like the direction office was going (I don't recall the details, but I recall it seeming like good reason to fork).  Yet still more people know open office than open libre.  And many longtime users of office never even knew Libre exists.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: August 14, 2017, 12:16:43 am »

It only grows.

That makes both of the other major devs.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: August 14, 2017, 01:38:40 am »

Probably because any fork would be seen as less legitimate than the main.  That and I suppose people do still want to try and salvage what we already have.   It's like open office vs open libre.

Open libre is a fork of open office.  Open libre was forked because they did not like the direction office was going (I don't recall the details, but I recall it seeming like good reason to fork).  Yet still more people know open office than open libre.  And many longtime users of office never even knew Libre exists.
If you mean libreoffice afaik it's bigger than openoffice at the moment

Didnt happen because of that, though, the situation was very different: Oracle discontinued support so people moved over to the fork.  Afterwards Oracle donated the whole project to the apache foundation and it was kind of reborn.

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 451