Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 799988 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #5355 on: May 09, 2018, 05:54:47 am »

its actually the player speaking.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5356 on: May 09, 2018, 06:20:42 am »

So, you can startle yourself by making noise?

Also, unless the experimentals changed it, why is the bat wing the only wing with no positive effects?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5357 on: May 09, 2018, 06:26:16 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

bat wing?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5359 on: May 09, 2018, 12:34:21 pm »

So, you can startle yourself by making noise?

Also, unless the experimentals changed it, why is the bat wing the only wing with no positive effects?
Wing stubs only increase your mutation and ugliness rating, but apart from that, they have the potential to turn into one of the good wings. Ugliness (even the basic Ugly trait) also makes you scarier though, so you'll be a bit more successful with intimidation as long as you aren't past the point that mutation-phobic NPCs just try to blow your brains out on sight.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5360 on: May 09, 2018, 04:39:44 pm »

Bird wings slow your fall and prevent fall damage, insect wings let you move faster, butterfly wings give you a 50% chance to fly over pits and spiked pits and increase move speed, but bat wings only give a -3 dodge penalty, my question is why

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5361 on: May 09, 2018, 05:51:56 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hah, of course not. I got eaten by good old fashioned zombies, just like every other time I make a character.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5362 on: May 09, 2018, 07:28:05 pm »

Bird wings slow your fall and prevent fall damage, insect wings let you move faster, butterfly wings give you a 50% chance to fly over pits and spiked pits and increase move speed, but bat wings only give a -3 dodge penalty, my question is why

Because bats are clumsy I guess.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5363 on: May 09, 2018, 09:22:44 pm »

I believe it's part of the whole not all mutations are good thing.  Mutations are supposed to be a bit more rng based than bionics. With bionics you know what yer getting, with mutations you don't. 

Back in the day most mutation options had an entirely negative possibility even in otherwise good trees.  I'm not sure if that's still the case for everything but bat wings were the 'you failed the rng' extension from wing stubs. 

As of why they don't work when compared to bird wings?  I have no idea, I always assumed they were just heavier.  I think they just had to figure out a bad version of wings and couldn't think of a good idea.  I would have went with skeletal wings myself, the mutation gave you the skeletal structure of the wings but for some reason you failed to develop the webbing, making them get in the way while being functionally worthless.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 09:25:26 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #5364 on: May 09, 2018, 10:34:25 pm »

It sounds like Egan_BW might need/want some advice on not getting eaten by zombies.

I know I could use it ...

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5365 on: May 10, 2018, 12:03:38 am »

I mean. The most basic advice has been stated dozens of times. Use chokepoints and terrain. Make sure you're either A at low enough encumbrance to actually hit things, especially dodgy things, or B have enough armor to just laugh off normal zeds. Drop encumbering bags before a fight, stop dragging that shopping cart etc. As for armor that can protect against normal zeds... off the top of my head default firefighter gear will almost 100% protect everywhere but the head. The helmet only has like 90% coverage so the odd hit will smack your gob.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5366 on: May 10, 2018, 04:13:46 am »

It is really hard to start.
you need to get a ranged weapon as soon as possible, get a bow and keep getting a better bow and better arrows as best you can, a long bow with metal arrows can take out most zeds, a reflex recurved is even better. even wood arrows are good though. be sure to get a quiver and load it so you can get as many arrows off before your target closes on you. then drop the bow and switch to a spear, you can use that at range 2 as you run. just be careful of smoker etc zeds since they're really hard to hit with ranged weapons.
use (X) Peak lots.
have an exit strategy - through a shop with lots of counters is good, the zeds will try to go through/over in a direct line to you while you dodge around faster, and out the back exit.
get to a house and make that your base of operations, while you slowly clear the town and skill up.

I'm curious what you guys do for mass zombie killing.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5367 on: May 10, 2018, 04:42:48 am »

Until you get some decent skill levels as well as weapons, it's "don't".

Pick off individual zombies, run if there's more than two or three. Traps are good; I particularly like caltrops, they're easy to make with a pair of bolt cutters.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5368 on: May 10, 2018, 06:16:24 am »

stop dragging that shopping cart

I just upgraded from an older version and that the zombies lost the ability to climb them was the worst thing :(

There went my entire strategy. Of course, I get that it was cheesy. But it worked.
Love, scriver~

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5369 on: May 10, 2018, 11:55:31 am »

Until you get some decent skill levels as well as weapons, it's "don't".
I feel like this is the piece most people are missing, very early, don't think about defeating the zombies blocking your path, find another psth.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 451