Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803031 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #6030 on: February 18, 2019, 11:28:31 pm »

I find the quote from Kevin:
Totally fine from a CoC point of view, its your opinion. Having said that, it's not an opinion shared by the project, "avoiding player base complaints" is not a reason to add or not add a feature.
Moderatly disturbing.

Sums up things perfectly. The game is no longer targeted at player enjoyment, but at least he's honest about it. I guess.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6031 on: February 18, 2019, 11:53:45 pm »

There's a mod that you can use to avoid having to deal with everything freezing :
https://github.com/Poragon/No-Freeze

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6032 on: February 19, 2019, 05:58:09 am »

that non freezing mod looks realistic enough

Altivera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6033 on: February 19, 2019, 01:06:22 pm »

https://www.reddit.com/r/cataclysmdda/comments/asb5aj/jtr_unnerf/

Someone made a mod to unnerf the Joint Torsion Ratchet cbm.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6034 on: February 19, 2019, 01:18:36 pm »

Interesting that people make mods like that when it possible (things that are not hard coded) as it's always better to have the choice to use things like they were without always having to stick with an older version of the game.
I noticed that there's a mod to re-add the bone+leather armor too :
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/28064#issuecomment-463533640

But notice that it re-add only the recipes, as the actual items are still existing in the game (they only removed the way to make them), but when they'll also remove the items this mod will not work anymore.

Looks like 0.D is getting really close now :
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/projects/2

So you can start to check the 0.E project :
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/projects/23

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6035 on: February 19, 2019, 01:22:20 pm »

when that happens they'll probably update the mod to add the item back in...

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6036 on: February 20, 2019, 04:40:36 pm »

Interesting that people make mods like that when it possible (things that are not hard coded) as it's always better to have the choice to use things like they were without always having to stick with an older version of the game.
I noticed that there's a mod to re-add the bone+leather armor too :
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/28064#issuecomment-463533640

But notice that it re-add only the recipes, as the actual items are still existing in the game (they only removed the way to make them), but when they'll also remove the items this mod will not work anymore.

Looks like 0.D is getting really close now :
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/projects/2

So you can start to check the 0.E project :
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/projects/23

the fact that 0.E is on the card means at least there is a plan going forward for at least one more stable

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6037 on: February 23, 2019, 12:15:30 am »

Hiya n9103,  thanks for trying to stem the tide of negativity,  but it seems I'm simply no longer welcome here.

Dda development is barreling along as fast or faster than it ever has before, and there continues to be no end in sight, but bay12forums will no longer have anything to do with it.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #6038 on: February 23, 2019, 12:42:47 am »

I can't help but feel as though you refusing to talk to the people here will be interpreted as you not caring about them. Which, for all I know could be true, but still. EDIT: And by "but still", I mean "it won't make them not be upset with you, and they might tell other people bad things about the project, which will also be not helpful."

Also, when you say that "bay12forums will no longer have anything to do with [Dda development], do you mean this thread is going to be locked? Will people be prevented from contributing to the project if a connection to Bay12 is discovered? Will feedback from people connected to/associated with Bay12 be ignored?

Also, what is the overall direction you're aiming to shoot for? Realistic, video-gamey, something in between? EDIT: I ask this because people seem both confused and upset with the direction the game is going with its updates.

Whether you answer any of my questions or not, good luck with the development, I guess, and sorry things had to shake out like this. Internet's internet, and sometimes people get heated up about things.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 12:46:50 am by AzyWng »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6039 on: February 23, 2019, 12:59:04 am »

From what I understand, negativity gathers here because you don't allow it in places you "control".
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6040 on: February 23, 2019, 03:00:39 am »

While I'm only a C:DDA dilettante (I've only played a handful of games, and I only keep up with this thread on an irregular basis), I just read the changelogs and comments linked about the bone armor dispute, and I've got to say... I'm going to side with the people who think that this project appears to be directed by an Ahab, who (has literally said as much!) doesn't care for the concerns of his playerbase, interested only in what he thinks is 'right' for the project.

I mean, it's not like this is a major issue (especially compared to some of the other sweeping changes that have been instituted), but we're told that bone armor is 'unrealistic' ... so several people offer links that show that there is such a thing as (at least in certain circumstances) non-ceremonial bone armor. Which is dismissed. Then someone says "okay, how about if we make it so that the armor requires bones from some of the supernatural, super-tough bone-based creatures that roam this world?" Which is also dismissed off hand.

Of course, as the developer, he's got final say on whatever he wants, but I agree with one of the commenters - why invite discussion about changes when you've obviously already got a plan in mind, and won't be swayed from it?

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6041 on: February 23, 2019, 03:01:45 am »

From what I understand, negativity gathers here because you don't allow it in places you "control".

and if it isn't allowed to have a voice here no doubt it will end up elsewhere, that said always keep an open mind to the community and maybe open up the contribution of code because u never know what genius or valid contributor u might be shutting down for purposes of "personal ego"

Try to stay positive because this is a very large part of the cataclysm community at the end of the day

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6042 on: February 23, 2019, 04:17:04 am »

All the posts here are because people do care.

And whenever I try a new version it seems to just get more tedious and less fun. And fun trumps realism any day when playing a game.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6043 on: February 23, 2019, 04:48:12 am »

All the posts here are because people do care.

And whenever I try a new version it seems to just get more tedious and less fun. And fun trumps realism any day when playing a game.

The past year or more in a nutshell. People who are invested enough in a project to seek out public discussion are the most passionate players who have the most play time and experience. Every single idea won't be gold, but dismissing them out of hand for... some reason? is a great way to alienate your fans and look like an ass.

But I mean, if that was an issue the official lines of communication wouldn't be an enforced echo chamber where all dissent is mocked, ignored, or banned.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6044 on: February 23, 2019, 09:12:27 am »

Hiya n9103,  thanks for trying to stem the tide of negativity,  but it seems I'm simply no longer welcome here.

Dda development is barreling along as fast or faster than it ever has before, and there continues to be no end in sight, but bay12forums will no longer have anything to do with it.
I am struggling to parse that in a way that's not petty or childish. What makes you feel that you're not welcome here? Who said "we hate kevin he eats babies and hates kittens?" People are upset by changes being made to a game they enjoy and are discussing why they don't like those changes. The negativity here is profoundly mild, it's not bile-spewing aimless hate it's actually just holding negative opinions about recent changes and the direction of development- I don't know how to interpret this except as excommunicating those who don't feel what you're doing is the best possible thing. What purpose is there in discussion without dissent? I apologize that many people have thoughts and opinions that have more substance than simply declaring their adoration for you and the things you choose to apply your stamp to.

That is not the way a project leader should behave, it's not the way a man should behave, this is purely the behavior of a child who does not appreciate the insinuations that his sand castle is not the very best it could possibly be.
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 451