Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: LINE LAND: A Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode Challenge  (Read 5579 times)

Augster999

• Bay Watcher
  • You have discovered an eerie post.
    • View Profile
LINE LAND: A Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode Challenge
« on: March 08, 2015, 11:26:57 am »

LINE LAND
A Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode Challenge
     So I was playing around with maps for a while, messing around with parameters for world generation, when suddenly I had an Idea: What if I created a world that was extremely wide, but extremely short? That way, getting from one end to another would be a huge triumph! Then you would have to go through nearly every obstacle the world had. So after a while of finding the best world I could use (One without oceans separating everything), I decided to make it a challenge! Here is the goal: Start from the western-most town you can find (Whether you are an elf, a dwarf, or a human, they all start at pretty much the same spot), and then travel all the way to the other side, without dying!
     Anyway, here is the goal, other than getting to the end: Try to be as heroic as possible, and try to learn as much history as possible through the world! Your goal isn't just to travel through the world, but to experience it as well.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
      As you can see, the world's main challenge is the distance you have to travel, but there is one final obstacle: The mountains! These haunted mountains are about 25 tiles wide, so that is obviously the most hardest area to go through! It's practically Mordor...

I want to see your experiences with this map! Please document your journey through it if you play! Try not to save scum!

DOWNLOAD HERE!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 06:43:43 pm by Augster999 »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: LINE LAND: A Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode Challenge
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 12:45:46 pm »

Oh lord.  Those mountains.  You're evil.  Those mountains are evil.

Augster999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 05:52:25 pm »

Oh lord.  Those mountains.  You're evil.  Those mountains are evil.
Yeah... they are a bit too harsh...

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 06:36:37 pm »

I suggest the challenge being west->East. That way Mordor is the final challenge to take your legendary adventurer and band of friends/children/zombies through.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Augster999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 06:43:04 pm »

I suggest the challenge being west->East. That way Mordor is the final challenge to take your legendary adventurer and band of friends/children/zombies through.
Oh, I didn't see that! I meant for it to start from the west. I sort of accidentally flipped it. Thanks for noticing!

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 10:27:54 pm »

I like this idea, I'll probably attempt it some time
but...... could it be narrower?
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Augster999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 10:40:36 pm »

I like this idea, I'll probably attempt it some time
but...... could it be narrower?
Well, as it is now, it took an extremely long time to create a world that wasn't divided into two by an ocean, it was so small. I don't think I could make it smaller. Although, I could try to use Perfect World or something to make a better version sometime.

Lost in Nowhere

• Bay Watcher
  • AHAHAHAHA~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 10:43:21 pm »

So, I decided to give this a go. All was well... until I fell into a river and promptly drowned. I didn't get extraordinarily far, though, so it wasn't too much of a loss.
And so I strike, like an unseen dodge ball in an echoing gymnasium!
Another book entitled Start Your Day with Extinction.
Must be the next book in the series after Start Your Day with Death.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 10:47:03 pm »

Well, as it is now, it took an extremely long time to create a world that wasn't divided into two by an ocean, it was so small. I don't think I could make it smaller. Although, I could try to use Perfect World or something to make a better version sometime.
well I like the length, it just seems too wide (so you can kind of avoid some things)
is the minimum number of oceans 1?  If so that doesn't help
is there any way you can sort of control ocean size?  Maybe I'll have a go at generating my own lineland later
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 12:39:24 am »

I'm going to do you one better: A series of 1x16 embarks that lay end to end mine tracks all the way from the starting towns to the evil mountains.  To fulfill the history part of the challenge, the tracks will be lined with statues carved or smelted from each embark.  If the opportunity presents itself, there will also be engraved cliff faces along some lengths of the track, so that passing cart-riders will be able to learn about the area's history from the comfort of their perch as they pass by.

Of course, some sites may feature towers or arches or even little sleeping rooms stocked with travel food and a well for passers-by to rest in comfort, while other places may fall into disrepair or even be "conquered" by hostile natives.  Regardless, cart-riders won't have to lug their cart far to get back on uninterrupted tracks.  The end tracks may actually penetrate a tile into the evil mountains and be regularly stocked with the finest steel weapons and armor (travelers are encouraged to bring along expensive trade goods in payment for the ride, so the dwarves at the end station can continue to upgrade and replace their stocks.)
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 05:05:39 pm »

Very interesting world, my god so many tombs wtf tombs everywhere, you dawg I heard you like tombs so we put tombs in your tombs so you can be surrounded by dead people while you're surrounded by dead people... oh whew, I think I'm out at last... OH GOD MORE TOMBS?!?!?

Augster999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 06:04:25 pm »

Very interesting world, my god so many tombs wtf tombs everywhere, you dawg I heard you like tombs so we put tombs in your tombs so you can be surrounded by dead people while you're surrounded by dead people... oh whew, I think I'm out at last... OH GOD MORE TOMBS?!?!?
I guess a lot of people were not able to make it through :P

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 06:08:20 pm »

They might just be the stockpiles of parts for all those Necro towers...
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 03:43:17 pm »

Btw the westernmost gob fort has a tower south of it which is almost inside a hamlet and crashes me everytime I try to approach on foot.

drone1230

• Bay Watcher
  • Feel the might of my epi-pen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 10:20:14 pm »

This is the tale of Jason Longland, an adventurer with a simple goal: do what has never been done me before and travel to the edge of the world! This was no simple task; the journey was long and hard, and no one had ever crossed the cursed mountains to the east. Longlands sought the finest warriors to accompany him; he searched all of two minutes before settling on an axeman named Geno or something and some random swordsman. He carefully studied the maps for a few seconds before hastily choosing the first landmark: a necromancer's tower a little ways north. Becoming a necromancer would be the perfect way to become strong enough for the journey! And books and stuff because history. Arriving at their destination, the party immediately charged. What will become of LongLands and his companions? The suspense!

Anyway, this challenge looks to be fun, so I here's what I have so far. This took all of five minutes of gameplay.
Just when you think you're good to go, you run into an undead camel that is a master of kung fu
Pages: [1] 2