Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 107

Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 162447 times)

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Overwatch - Released
« Reply #465 on: June 08, 2016, 02:01:50 pm »

But games like CS are not like games like Overwatch.
Yes, they're both Team-based FPS, but with the Overwatch is more a mix between TF2 and Quake, for its speed.
Also, Blizzard wanted their game to be more "noob friendly" so, to do well with high speed characters, they needed bigger hitboxes.
Seems rational to me.

I wasnt arguing it should be cs, I was responding to the question that other fps might do it. It is explicitly irrational to fuck up hit detection because your characters move too fast rather than speeding up projectiles or slowing down the char. Or, if you are lazy, just match the goddann playermodel to the hitbox. The reason for it is almost certainly for the consoles, and has no place in a pc version.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 08, 2016, 02:27:56 pm »

From what I've seen of Overwatch gameplay, there doesn't seem to be many hitscan weapons. Mostly I'm seeing various projectiles.

Yeah, and for most of the hitscan weapons, it isn't a big deal. But if you're aiming at a small head, moving from point A to point B, it can look something like this crappy image:

Spoiler: MS paint masterpiece (click to show/hide)

Here the orange shot will clearly hit the head from the shooter's perspective, even though the server (with 3x as many data points) knows that the head wasn't there, so it registers as a miss. The difference is usually too minute to matter, and the intervals are definitely too tight for reaction time to play into it. But since it's still perceptible, people will miss shots their brain knows they should've gotten, and have no idea why, and hence will never be able to anticipate these sorts of jagged movements in the future.

For a large hitbox moving slowly, it's extremely unlikely to matter, but if it's a tiny head hitbox moving quickly in weird directions, 20/s interpolation can be frustrating. In a game like CS, the 120 competitive server tickrate is pretty essential. In TF2, I wish 120/s was possible. In overwatch? If the hitboxes really are that massive, they can probably get away with 20/s client interpolation, even with the sniper.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 02:36:17 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 08, 2016, 02:45:32 pm »

Maybe if it was a traditional shooter. But there are a lot more things being adversely affected by the low clientside tickrate than just the accuracy of hitscan gunfire. Every single activated ability (Roadhog hook, McCree flashbang, &c.) that directly interacts with other players has the same thing apply to it. And, frankly, I'm more than a little repelled by their attitude of "Well, it's not really a problem..." even though it's basically the most discussed issue with the game.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 08, 2016, 05:10:33 pm »

Hopefully its just a PR thing.  You are not alone in being put off by it.

I think that video with the hitboxes is a little exaggerated.  Genji hunches more during some animations than others but his hitbox remains static, and Mercy's pistol is NOT a point target (its like the huntsman, its got some girth to the projectile).  The hitboxes have felt ok to me.  Its never felt, during actual gameplay, that weapons are missing or hitting when they shouldn't.  And that includes killcams I've watched of myself dying.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 08, 2016, 05:49:05 pm »

Hopefully its just a PR thing.  You are not alone in being put off by it.

I think that video with the hitboxes is a little exaggerated.  Genji hunches more during some animations than others but his hitbox remains static, and Mercy's pistol is NOT a point target (its like the huntsman, its got some girth to the projectile).  The hitboxes have felt ok to me.  Its never felt, during actual gameplay, that weapons are missing or hitting when they shouldn't.  And that includes killcams I've watched of myself dying.

its not just genji, if you want more examples someone made a video with hitscan and projectile weapons. you can headshot someone while you cant see them just by spamming corners and if they are even standing next to it, they die.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 08, 2016, 05:54:58 pm »

I've definitely noticed it while shooting with Mei's secondary fire. There's some combination of really fat projectiles and really large head hitboxes that makes it absurdly easy to land headshots with a weapon that has both travel time and a delay before firing. I've also been on the receiving end in the case of Lucio's primary fire, those spheres are so fat that they'll clip you from half a meter away it seems like.

Frankly they should fix the fucking hitboxes and remove damage falloff from everything that isn't hitscan.

3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 08, 2016, 06:12:21 pm »

Probably. Afterall they are likely going to sell expansions for this. They can't screw the playerbase and run with the money yet.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 08, 2016, 06:14:34 pm »

Wasn't new characters and maps being free one of the things they used to justify the price?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: June 08, 2016, 06:20:07 pm »

Wasn't new characters and maps being free one of the things they used to justify the price?

They stated two things
1) They have Vague unfirm plans to release maps and characters in unsubstantiated amounts, quantities, or qualities.
-This means that they will continue to update Overwatch based on continuous sales.
and
2) They are planning on earning additional money on Overwatch and that might come down to maps and characters... just not anytime soon (my money is on making you pay for skins)
-My bet with why they didn't do this immediately is because they didn't want to hurt sales. Given the game is already set up for monetization I cannot see them not doing it in the future.

It is basically a "No promises" sort of deal that allows them to put as much or as little extra content as possible... but given that Blizzard cannot sell their business again... It is more that they are just going to add characters and maps so long as people keep buying.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 06:23:22 pm by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 08, 2016, 06:23:47 pm »

Kaplan outright said, and I quote,
Quote from: Polygon interview
When we patch a new hero into the game, we want it to be free and not as DLC
;
Quote from: Inquisitr interview
We have ideas for additional maps and heroes that we’d like to add to the game. So we thought about this and we decided the best way to add them to the game is to patch them in as free content and not as DLC.

By my recollection they've explicitly noted that all heroes, maps, and game modes released after launch will be free. Priced content already exists in the form of buying additional loot crates. Neo is just being cynical without doing the research. If there's any added paid content, I expect it to be more bait for cosmetics whores.

3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: June 08, 2016, 06:35:51 pm »

No I actually read both of those before I made my statement.

we don’t have an exact timeline of when new heroes will be added to the game, how soon after launch, or how many...

AKA: No promises

Neo is just

Of course...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 06:46:12 pm by Neonivek »

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 08, 2016, 06:57:56 pm »

Eh.  I paid $37 for my origin collector's edition and feel I've gotten my money's worth already.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: June 08, 2016, 06:59:00 pm »

At the end of the day, they can always pull off a Payday 2.

I'm willing to assume the better, but I won't say its impossible.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: June 08, 2016, 07:03:52 pm »

Then again characters MAYBE... I am pessimistic enough to believe 4 years down the road they will drop the "no character" """Promise"".

Maps? I don't see why they would charge you for those even if they were making you pay for characters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 08, 2016, 07:13:41 pm »

If they're both really greedy and dumb enough to split the playerbase. :P
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 107