Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32

Author Topic: A Sudden Reality Shift: New System and respec thread  (Read 37318 times)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
Re: A Sudden Reality Shift: New System and respec thread
« Reply #450 on: April 15, 2015, 03:57:53 pm »

Yeah, it works. Your sheet is correct.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #451 on: April 15, 2015, 07:33:03 pm »

Note that Kedly had his stats incorrect, due to intuition not being a skill. I put the points in Con instead. Someone should probably ask him about this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=149606.msg6118500#msg6118500

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 19, 2015, 09:07:35 pm »

I dislike this sheet.  I restricted Saint with too many "need" stats, and now he's a cripple.  Eh, I'll justify it by saying that he lost coordination of his body due to constantly possessing remote bodies, and using AUX to automate half his movements.  Spare sod brains will be a necessity if Saint ever stops doing that.

Code: (Steve Saint) [Select]
  [Final] (Initial +points)
STR: [-2] (-2 +0)
DEX: [-1] (-1 +0)
END:  [0] (0 +0)
CHA:  [2] (2 +0)
MIND: [2] (0 +15)
INTU:[-1] (-1 +0)
FATE: [1] (1 +0)

Conventional___: [-2] (-2 +0)
Unconventional_: [-2] (-2 +0)
Exotic_________: [2]  (2  +0)
Handiwork______: [-2] (-2 +0)
Auxiliary______: [2]  (2  +0)
Medical________: [1]  (0  +5)
General________: [-1] (-1 +0)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 20, 2015, 01:11:55 am »

@syvarris Wondering aloud - why would you need +2 Cha and +2 Exo while -2 Handi? Between regular tinkering and, you know, asociality (e.g., as expressed in voluntarily seclusion away; not to be confused with your character's sociopathy)?
(Also, I am fine with your stat distribution. For a vaulted away person who never takes the field himself and has others (sods) to work for him, I can understand both extreme reluctance (coupled with disastrous unproficiency) to exert force and certain degree of clumsiness; and who needs Intu anyway.)

I can guess that your character intends to be an amp-user (organo-amp even, presumably), and that charismatic sociopaths are actually common (maybe; I have no idea besides quick googling) but I don't think you ever really expressed either of these "career paths".
Just curious.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 20, 2015, 07:16:12 am »

Yeah, exo and cha are so high because I wanted the dominator amp as well as the connector.

This build is actually closer to what I envisioned Saint to be originally, though.  He was intended to be charismatic, and originally had points in cha.   They were moved to INT when PW said I needed Int to be allowed to continue tinkering, and he let me move them.  Saint's actually supposed to be extremely social, and would try to continually keep contact with the other Heph staff; The appearance to the contrary is just because nobody RPs on Heph, and because he's done a lot to safeguard his physical location, which people equate to his actual location for some reason.

The skills, admittedly, are mostly -2s because I couldn't easily take points from elsewhere.   Lowering stats is much more likely to kill Saint than lowering skills, and as I said before, I gave too much 'need' stuff.  Handi, for instance, should probably be at least +0 (although I don't imagine Saint using handi for tinkering; He'd use aux.)

Oh, and IIRC, sociopaths are generally more charismatic than the average person.  It isn't difficult to fake empathy, and the lack of remorse makes manipulating people more palatable.  Plus, most sociopaths would disguise their disorder, and therefore have practice at being manipulative.  Of course, what exactly 'sociopath' even means varies greatly, even more than most psychological disorders (technically, it isn't a recognized disorder anymore, for good reason).  When I use the term, I'm talking about a lack of empathy being the primary symptom.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 20, 2015, 07:54:22 am »

Ah, sure then. I'm always happy when the rules shift allows for more "correct" envisioning of the character, rather than otherwise. Also, looking forward to making up for earlier social vacuum on Hephaestus... when Piecewise finally sets Anton and Maurice free.

Also, have you considered dropping a single +1 from Med or Exo? Or maybe shifting that +1 from Fate to Mind to free those 5 "bonus" points and, once again, decrease the amount of chargen skill bonuses? It's really staggering at that point how many penalties one has to take for that small extra +1 (which equals only half of a mission level-up, anyway). You could easily come out with 0 Handi and maybe less disastrous Con/Uncon or 0 GeKn. Or just increase all three skill -2s to -1s.
Past Sigs

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #456 on: April 20, 2015, 08:58:16 am »

You could probably get an enhanced capacity mod for free, as long as you promise to remove it from your inventory if you ever go back to the Sword.

And if I'm using one of those old dumb thin computer terminal to connect to a mainframe, I do not have the mainframe in front of me, I have a terminal. If I smash the terminal, the mainframe will continue to operate. When I'm Skyping with someone, I do not have them in front of me, I have a computer showing me an image of them. If I see someone in a mirror, I'm looking at a mirror, not at them. So you are still with your brain, regardless of where you are accessing using telepresence.

If you used that distributed brain genemod to start splitting your brain up, then that would make where you are open to debate

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 20, 2015, 10:36:05 am »

@Nik

MED has five skillpoints which I can't put anywhere else, so I'm not changing that, and EXO needs to be at 2 to use a dominator amp.

I'm not changing Fate either, because PW likes threatening me more than anyone else.  With reason, of course; I certainly am the most prolific tinkerer.

@Paris

The increased capacity mod, and distributed neurology mod, are both very good ideas.  Thank you!

I do disagree with your point that you location is the location of your brain.  Yes, literally 'you' are just electrochemical signals traveling through it, and therefore are always where your brain is, but I'm not being literal.  You know how someone who's so intensely focused on a task that they don't notice what's going on around them, is said to be 'somewhere else', even if they're in the same room as you?  Saint, when possessing a body, is fully focused on that location, and only aware of it.  You could be standing next to his brain jumping up and down while screaming, but you won't be noticed because he's somewhere else.

Besides, the semantics is irrelevant--my point is that even if Saint's brain is locked miles below the surface, he can (and would, if we roleplayed) spend more time personally interacting with people than anyone else, because he can essentially teleport to someone if needed.  People just assume Saint tries to stay an invisible AI in the backround, controlling things through impersonal electronic orders, and that kinda annoys me.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 20, 2015, 10:42:41 am »

So, more attempts at RP are in order?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #459 on: April 20, 2015, 10:45:16 am »

Eh, it's a matter of opinion. I define someone being there as them actually being there. But I understand what you're saying. It's similar to someone playing a game saying "I'm there" instead of "my character is there", which is understandable.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 20, 2015, 10:50:19 am »

@Radio
Yeah, once the Doc lets go of Anton and Maurice.  I'm terrified of the Doc, and Saint doesn't trust him, so... definitely not interrupting.

Oh, a question I've been meaning to ask you in forever but always forget: Those discussions we sometimes have about our military hardware, whether it's robosods or tanks, are those considered to be mimiced in-character?  I.E, Does Miyamoto talk with Saint and others about that stuff when he's not on-mission or jumping, or do the characters just arbitrarily come to the conclusion we decide on OOC?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 20, 2015, 10:52:41 am »

@Radio
Yeah, once the Doc lets go of Anton and Maurice.  I'm terrified of the Doc, and Saint doesn't trust him, so... definitely not interrupting.

Oh, a question I've been meaning to ask you in forever but always forget: Those discussions we sometimes have about our military hardware, whether it's robosods or tanks, are those considered to be mimiced in-character?  I.E, Does Miyamoto talk with Saint and others about that stuff when he's not on-mission or jumping, or do the characters just arbitrarily come to the conclusion we decide on OOC?

I'd say the first one, makes most sense I think. I imagine him just teleconferencing to discuss things with Hep people, like a weekly meeting or whatever. Unless there's a specific reason you'd think otherwise?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Grunhill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 14, 2015, 07:35:38 pm »

Hi guys, I will try to post my new sheet here... please tell me if you see anything wrong.

In total, Renen has 6 missions + time skip + space battle.

Stats
St 0
Dex 10
End 5
Cha 0
Mind 10
Fate 5
int 0

Skills
Hnd 0
Con 0
Uncon 30
Exo 0
Aux 0
Med 0
Gen 5
>Probably. They're bad news. Very good at hiding and very good at killing. Then again, no one is better at killing then the HMRC.

"Steve, they're trying to talk to us. We need an orbital bombardment NOW!"

Nunzillor

« Reply #463 on: December 14, 2015, 07:56:19 pm »

Interesting.  So you're starting at 0 in all stats and skills, and adding those points to that?

Grunhill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 14, 2015, 07:59:00 pm »

Actually... I thought that we started from the zero and added the starter and bonus ones.

Correct me if I'm wrong...
>Probably. They're bad news. Very good at hiding and very good at killing. Then again, no one is better at killing then the HMRC.

"Steve, they're trying to talk to us. We need an orbital bombardment NOW!"
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32