Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 40

Author Topic: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 55)  (Read 85882 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Dialogue
« Reply #225 on: May 07, 2015, 03:02:07 am »

((Waiting on dialogue responses from HEN, Pancaek))

"Interesting slip there with the whole humans as a group that doesn't include you thing, oh, and you might want to be a touch more subtle about hiding your eyes too. bad form and all to make such things obvious. Oh, and those clothes are amazing by the way. so anyways, me? a spirit? Eh, that depends on your definition. I suppose I might count. I think of myself as an echo more than anything else though."
As I speak I slip into the room and casually circle her from outside arm's reach, watching to see what she hides as I force her to turn to keep me in her line of sight.
"What about you? Are you a nice person? Do you want to be my friend?"

Efa: Aren't you a clever being?
She doesn't respond to the circling right away. In fact, she acts largely indifferent to your position until she speaks, at which point she simply turns her head slightly in your direction, mitten still at her cheek.
Efa: Somehow I don't believe that is a normal custom in this region. I suppose I can hardly take you for a representative of this world! But that's okay, you look interesting. I am the emissary of a peaceful race, and my mission is to learn and document. What's your mission?

To the Astrologer: "Well, we are at an impasse, aren't we?" he asks, holding the man down. "I don't believe ya. That happens when I'm lied to. Do ya have anyone able to confirm that story? Cause whether ya wanted that innkeeper killed or not, he's dead now and guess who's guilty."

Astrologer: Well blimey! How am I supposed to show you when I'm on the ground? Look, there's plenty of men from the office here. I'm sure you can ask them about Motorov, although the attempt on my life is unlikely to show up in the news. The bloody guards had too much drink last night to care. But say, if you can protect me from that merc, I'm sure you can extract a word or two from her! Now let's get inside before the storm hits, unless you wanna lose your eyeballs.

The marketplace starts thinning out as people funnel into the buildings and taverns . Official city workers start putting up tent-like awnings over the alleyways to allow for small amounts of pedestrian traffic during the Ashstorm, although nobody can recommend being outside when it reaches full brightness, unless you are an Adept.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 21)
« Reply #226 on: May 07, 2015, 07:10:15 am »

"I have no mission."
"I do what I want."
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 07, 2015, 04:05:50 pm »

" how would mushrooms... uh, never mind. Have you ever heard of the Lady of Winter? She appeared to me and directed me towards it." Zikal paused before continuing. "What would be at the lake to cause insanity?"
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 07, 2015, 04:17:23 pm »

Willhelm walks up to Zikal and holds up his new bow.

"And the faithful will find His rewards in the darkest places, for it is those places who need His light the most."

He looks at the bow and smiles as he turns it over in his hands.

"P-pretty"

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 07, 2015, 05:20:55 pm »

((Just a reminder that I will need bolded actions to actually roll once we are finished with dialogue. If we have enough actions I'll advance the clock and continue whatever dialogue there is to finish. No rush, though.))

"I have no mission."
"I do what I want."

Efa: Oh, so you were just clambering about on the rooftops, then? Do you use that tail of yours to swing between trees? Well, anyway, I'm inclined to think that the Book Spirit's effect on the librarian will expire sometime, so how about we leave and head downtown? If you're with me I don't think the guards will hunt you. You can be my summon!

The woman takes a step toward the staircase leading down to ground level. Your current position is a raised deck by the side of a library (or at least a building operated by a librarian), rather than a balcony. There is a starcase that leads down to the street, and you can either continue forward toward what looks like a tall, round shrub with cyan flowers falling to the ground by the dozens, or turn around and head downtown toward the walled-off section of the inner city.

" how would mushrooms... uh, never mind. Have you ever heard of the Lady of Winter? She appeared to me and directed me towards it." Zikal paused before continuing. "What would be at the lake to cause insanity?"

"And the faithful will find His rewards in the darkest places, for it is those places who need His light the most."

"P-pretty"

Lily turns to Wilhelm.
Lily: I made that bow for the master, but you can keep it if you want, I don't mind.
She then answers Zikal.
Lily: Humans are supposed to keep out. No exceptions, unless the Keeper orders it. Wait, you're not supposed to know about the Keeper. Wait, you spoke to a vision, that could be her...
At this point, her face is red with embarrassment.
Lily: I'm so sorry I just... Did you see pixies with her...? I can't keep up with all this information. If Lady Winter came to you, then she probably wants you there. The sprites there drive people insane, you can't hope to go! I have to protect you on your way there. The Sprites won't attack you if you're with a Flower Spirit. Gahhh...
Lily buries her face in her hands, and leans against the wall, hanging the mushroom kebab wand from a loop in her belt of river reed.

Looking back, you see light coming from the stairway around the corner. It looks like the clouds have cleared up.

To the Astrologer: "Well, we are at an impasse, aren't we?" he asks, holding the man down. "I don't believe ya. That happens when I'm lied to. Do ya have anyone able to confirm that story? Cause whether ya wanted that innkeeper killed or not, he's dead now and guess who's guilty."

Astrologer: Well blimey! How am I supposed to show you when I'm on the ground? Look, there's plenty of men from the office here. I'm sure you can ask them about Motorov, although the attempt on my life is unlikely to show up in the news. The bloody guards had too much drink last night to care. But say, if you can protect me from that merc, I'm sure you can extract a word or two from her! Now let's get inside before the storm hits, unless you wanna lose your eyeballs.

The marketplace starts thinning out as people funnel into the buildings and taverns . Official city workers start putting up tent-like awnings over the alleyways to allow for small amounts of pedestrian traffic during the Ashstorm, although nobody can recommend being outside when it reaches full brightness, unless you are an Adept.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 07, 2015, 05:33:25 pm »

"Interesting, what was once a Math Spirit is now a Book Spirit. What has changed?"
"Oh? You'd enable me to have free reign throughout the city? that would be lovely."
I sidle around behind her again, and follow her lead through the building.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 07, 2015, 05:54:42 pm »

Willhelm looks to the bow, then to Lilly.

"T-t-t-thank you."

He smiles awkwardly at her.

"Blessed are they who maketh such great works of art, for their labours will produce beauty that please the troubled hearts of the faithful."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dialogue
« Reply #232 on: May 08, 2015, 11:22:14 am »

"Interesting, what was once a Math Spirit is now a Book Spirit. What has changed?"
"Oh? You'd enable me to have free reign throughout the city? that would be lovely."
I sidle around behind her again, and follow her lead through the building.

Efa: Beats me. I know a 5-cell when I see it, but my people are not well versed in the magic that these people call Thoughtform. It's a Math thing that lives in a book, so I suppose you could call it either.
Efa: Fantastic! I seek to visit the cathedral to discuss matters with a high-ranking cleric. Do you follow?

"P-pretty"
Lily turns to Wilhelm.
Lily: I made that bow for the master, but you can keep it if you want, I don't mind.
She then answers Zikal.
Lily: Humans are supposed to keep out. No exceptions, unless the Keeper orders it. Wait, you're not supposed to know about the Keeper. Wait, you spoke to a vision, that could be her...
At this point, her face is red with embarrassment.
Lily: I'm so sorry I just... Did you see pixies with her...? I can't keep up with all this information. If Lady Winter came to you, then she probably wants you there. The sprites there drive people insane, you can't hope to go! I have to protect you on your way there. The Sprites won't attack you if you're with a Flower Spirit. Gahhh...
Lily buries her face in her hands, and leans against the wall, hanging the mushroom kebab wand from a loop in her belt of river reed.

Looking back, you see light coming from the stairway around the corner. It looks like the clouds have cleared up.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 08, 2015, 11:25:19 am »

"Certainly."
"This should be fun."
I follow her lead.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 08, 2015, 10:09:54 pm »

Archae looks for shelter from the Ashstorm.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 09, 2015, 01:06:45 pm »

"T-t-t-thank you."

"Blessed are they who maketh such great works of art, for their labours will produce beauty that please the troubled hearts of the faithful."
((You quoted my previous post))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 09, 2015, 01:48:19 pm »

((Oh yeah, uh, sorry, I got lost in the posts (perhaps an indicator that I should limit dialogue to a couple of posts between rolls). I'm waiting on Caellath and HEN so I can advance time. You'll get your acknowledgement. :P ))
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 01:50:44 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 09, 2015, 02:02:38 pm »

"The Lady of Winter likely sent us in this direction to meet you, so if you wish to accompany us to the lake, you would be much appreciated."
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 18)
« Reply #238 on: May 10, 2015, 03:11:33 pm »

((Beh.))

"Fine. Any more information on the merc? And start explaining more and yapping less."

Inside.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 10, 2015, 04:30:33 pm »

Roll 22

"The Lady of Winter likely sent us in this direction to meet you, so if you wish to accompany us to the lake, you would be much appreciated."

Lily: If the Lady said so, I have to follow you. I never get lost in the woods.
She looks down the hall toward the light.
Lily: Well, when you're done going through the former master's stuff, I'll be outside. I miss the suns.

She skips out from your presence and turns the corner. Then, she stops.
Lily: We might not be leaving right away...

She looks unnaturally bright. Originally you thought the brightness was just a visual side-effect of the dim passage, but now it's clear that she is brighter than she would have been in normal sunlight. This can mean either that she is using magic to trick you, or that an Ashstorm started while you were inside the hideout.

Your whole body is burned (1)

You have a stack of spell tome pages and a black cover

You have a bloodied ceremonial dagger (Attack power: 3) (attaches to target and Drains it, suppressing it) (remembering a memory teleports this weapon to your hand)

You have a Beech Javelin (Attack power: 3 (thrown), 1 (stab))
You have 10 Javelin memories (lucid)
You have about thirty Hours
You have a royal goblet, a golden watch, and some jewelry

You remember the Lady of Winter
You remember a giant eye
You remember many pixies
You remember a band of Arinthian soldiers and some bandits
You remember a bandit sinking into the ground

"T-t-t-thank you."

((This is before Lily tries to go outside))

Lily: Aww, you don't need to be so kind. I don't have a use for it, it's yours like everything else in here.
She comes closer, whispering into your ear behind Zikal's back. [6][1] Zikal does not notice, although he is likely suspicious of the girl anyway.
Lily: That dagger is another thing I made. It gets stronger as it collects souls, and if he kills enough with it, he will be able to bring back people he's killed. Please don't let him misuse it.

Your whole body is burned (1)
Your left arm is bruised (1)

You have a schematic of an iron arrow trap

You have a steel axe (Attack power: 1) (Deals piercing damage if the attack connects but fails to pierce)
You have an iron mace (Attack power: 2) (If the target has less than 2 damage, deals piercing damage)

You have a charged large greatbow (Attack power: 3 (charged), 1 (uncharged)) (charging takes one turn of preparation)
You have an uncharged Quickbow (Attack power: 1. Can fire twice per turn.)
You have 13 arrows in your quiver (Attack power: 1)
There is one recoverable arrow near the Old Fortress Mound
You have an important scroll in a copper cylinder
You have about one hundred Hours

((Beh.))

"Fine. Any more information on the merc? And start explaining more and yapping less."

Inside.

He describes the mercenary you asked him about.
Astrologer: Short girl, elvish, wears a frilly red dress, rides this animal that looks like a cross between a lilypad and an eel. I don't know exactly how she kills people, but the Office said Motorov's body got eaten. So I guess I got a pretty good idea.

[1][3] You have a difficult time finding shelter inside a building, since everyone else is also pouring into the shops and stores bordering the plaza. Citing safety concerns, most shop owners only allow a fixed number of individuals inside.
It seems you will have to leave the marketplace. Perhaps the inn will have room, as it's a spacious building. If not, a local church or the (further) nearest cathedral will allow as many people to enter as necessary. The problem is that the longer you walk the more dangerous it gets outside.

You have a Zweihänder slung on your shoulder (Attack power: 4) (can only be used offensively every other turn)
You have a Katzbalger (Attack power: 2)
You have an arquebus (Attack power: 3) (Your opponent gets an extra positive die to dodge)
You are wearing light plate armor (incoming attacks lose 1 attack power if over 1)
You have about one hundred and fifty Hours

Archae looks for shelter from the Ashstorm.

Shelter is all around you. During Ashstorms, property owners are required to open their doors to anyone seeking refuge. [1][2] In practice, however, most of the buildings are already full and you are rejected access, citing fire hazard concerns. You'd be lucky to find even one.

Ashlight is said to enhance the capabilities of an Adept, making it require almost no thought to bring things into existence. This is both a blessing and a curse, as Adepts with malevolent thoughts and memories may accidentally (or willingly) release them into the world, wreaking havoc on places unprepared.

You have a green poison slime with Paralysis

You remember a red, blue, and a green spell-slime (weak)

You have a spiny walking stick (Attack power: (attacking head) 2, (attacking other parts) 1)
You have a silversteel falchion (Attack power: (on odd swings) 3, (on even swings) 2)
You remember your time in the wilderness well
You have some sandwiches and citrus
You have a Sprite Trap, labelled with the words "Samantha Magdelene, professor at U.T"
You have seventy-five Hours

"Certainly."
"This should be fun."
I follow her lead.

Efa passes the gate to the inner city, showing the guards a certificate she was (supposedly) issued by the Office of Law Enforcement. You, as a summoned being, were considered her property so long as you were not found acting independently. This means no flying around, unfortunately, unless you can do it without getting caught.
The policy is, as you discover, that all who enter the inner city must receive a permit from the OLE before they are allowed inside. The exception is during cathedral services, where all are allowed inside (and security is drastically tightened).

The first building Efa visits is the Great Cathedral, a monolithic structure carved from the rock this city was built on. Its terraces and slopes were hewn smooth by the scorching light of Ash over a hundred years starting in 139 and finishing in 244. The old lenses used can still be seen in the spacious entrance lobby, hung by iron chains from the ceiling over a marble pedestal.
Cathedrals are typically places of worship in the Empire where the poor sing alongside the rich, and all social divisions are forgotten (Or at least, this is the truth in major cities where the clerics have the most influence. Not everyone loves their neighbors, however). The lobby opens by two large doors, each carved from a slab of obsidian, into a huge long black hall with rows upon rows of seats on a stepped floor. At the far side, a massive Oak grown from an old ballista bolt grows behind a raised stage, where the choir is currently gathered for rehersal. The next service was due to start in an hour, but due to the unexpected Ashstorm it will be postponed an hour after the Ashstorm ends and all inspections are complete.

The Cathedral is more than just a theater, however. It serves as a repository of knowledge, and so the great chamber is surrounded by seven floors all the way up to the stained glass ceiling (which, as you discover, glows a brilliant purple during an Ashstorm. Black Glass tends to do that). The theater space is cut directly out of the floors, so occupants can look on over the rails.
The organization of the floors is as follows:
  • The 1st and 2nd floors function as museums containing Church artifacts and historical documents. These recount the story of the Arinthian rite, untouched by revisionists and preserved for centuries.
  • The 3rd and 4th floors contain the works of the Monks Hospitaller, a hospital run by dedicated monks and nuns. It is this place where those suffering from debilitating illnesses are offered a final place to rest before their deaths. It is said that many well-known Adepts have made pilgrimages to this place, in order to heal whomever they can with their gifs.
  • The 5th and 6th floors are stocked with books and treatises of all sources, from the writings of the pagan philosophers to modern works by Pluton and Doregaard.
  • The 7th and final floor is a memorial ground for not only the saints, but those who have made extraordinary contributions to mankind's search for truth. This floor is filled with coffins and memorial slabs to the ancient philosophers and scientists who, though flawed individuals, nonetheless changed the world. It is rumored that the right leg of Aristolius lies here, the only part of his body preserved after the Warlord of Rama had him torn apart.

Efa says she plans to visit the library floors.

It is the 4th hour after noon. Ash is blazing bright in the azure sky, burning all exposed objects and adding +1 to all die in a thoughtform roll.
Expected end of Ashstorm: 7th hour.  (Next hour: Turn 32)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 06:35:39 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 40