Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 40

Author Topic: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 55)  (Read 86008 times)

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 34)
« Reply #375 on: July 11, 2015, 01:59:29 am »

"Uhh... hi." This... thing barely looks capable of flight, let alone carrying multiple people.

Try to order or direct the beast to fly across the swamp up to a tree and back as a test.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 33)
« Reply #376 on: July 13, 2015, 07:00:51 pm »

((And I thought I had posted.))

Leonhard groans, apparently pissed at all the complications appearing in his life. He takes Klein by the cuff and begins stroking behind the cat's ears. "Now, what are the Banda and why do ya seem pissed at discovering your friend did whatever with them? If the answer's too long, then just tell me what this crystal is first and what it's doing right now." The mercenary then shows the crystal Klein has coughed up.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 34)
« Reply #377 on: July 14, 2015, 01:01:37 pm »

Go stand near lily and defend her from any potential attacks. Warily look at zikals beast to see what it does.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 35)
« Reply #378 on: July 14, 2015, 08:26:00 pm »

Roll 35

"Uhh... hi." This... thing barely looks capable of flight, let alone carrying multiple people.

Try to order or direct the beast to fly across the swamp up to a tree and back as a test.

The beast does not understand your speech, it seems, but it does understand your hand signals. It starts flying away unmounted until it sees you motion for it to come back with one of its rear eyes.

It also seems quite comfy. It is more than capable of lifting multiple people, in fact.

The beast then gets attacked by five bonetacles. It dives toward the thorny tree-line, apparently protected from thorns by its fur. As it lowers in altitude, the bonetacles actually give up right then and there. Most interesting. You wonder how they are seeing it.

Your whole body is burned (1)

You have a stack of spell tome pages and a black cover

You have a bloodied ceremonial dagger (Attack power: 3) (attaches to target and Drains it, suppressing it) (remembering a memory teleports this weapon to your hand)

You have a Beech Javelin (Attack power: 3 (thrown), 1 (stab))
You have 10 Javelin memories (lucid)
You have about thirty Hours
You have a royal goblet, a golden watch, and some jewelry

You remember the Lady of Winter
You remember a giant eye
You remember many pixies
You remember a band of Arinthian soldiers and some bandits
You remember a bandit sinking into the ground

Go stand near lily and defend her from any potential attacks. Warily look at zikals beast to see what it does.

Lily objects to the protection.
"Don't worry about it. I am a lot more durable than you take me for. That's why the master didn't just try to kill me. He knew."

Zikal's monster seems to be doing laps to a tree and back. He must be quite good at training it, for it's already obeying his commands right away.

The bonetacles cluster near the maw in the ground, but as you backed away it became less active. Then it sees Zikal's beast as it returns. The bonetacles--five small ones--make their move and approach it, but it hovers up and out of the way.

Your left arm is bruised (1)

You have a schematic of an iron arrow trap

You have a steel axe (Attack power: 1) (Deals piercing damage if the attack connects but fails to pierce)
You have an iron mace (Attack power: 2) (If the target has less than 2 damage, deals piercing damage)

You have a charged large greatbow (Attack power: 3 (charged), 1 (uncharged)) (charging takes one turn of preparation)
You have an uncharged Quickbow (Attack power: 1. Can fire twice per turn. Charging it allows you to fire two arrows per attack, four in one turn)
You have 11 arrows in your quiver (Attack power: 1)
There is one recoverable arrow near the Old Fortress Mound
You have an important scroll in a copper cylinder
You have about one hundred Hours

Leonhard groans, apparently pissed at all the complications appearing in his life. He takes Klein by the cuff and begins stroking behind the cat's ears. "Now, what are the Banda and why do ya seem pissed at discovering your friend did whatever with them? If the answer's too long, then just tell me what this crystal is first and what it's doing right now." The mercenary then shows the crystal Klein has coughed up.

Marco: The Banda are nothing to concern a native Arinthian--
Angstrom: 'Buncha tribal people living across the west sea. Lived on the north of the Badlands continent before the Min started conquering 'em all. Sure, they rebelled and became the Free Colonies, but the Min practice total cultural assimilation. By the time they were free again they had nothing to do with the three remaining Banda tribes, each on their own island.
Marco: Well, it does concern us I suppose. We do have an expert cartographical division.
Angstrom: Yeah, and theys got something in their myths that interests me. Talk of a great war between two different people of the stars.
Marco: Ancient pseudoscience. The legacy of the Banda is now gone. Their myths told of a great star-eagle that would save them from subjugation. They were subjugated. Where was the space-eagle?
Angstrom: Well, you never know. Plus, they were right about the moon, or so I'm guessing.
Marco: What? I am unfamiliar with their astronomy.

Angstrom cranks his head back and reclines on a chair nearby.
Angstrom: The Banda say the moon was once populated by little men made of steel. They say these little men got wiped out when the moon wiped out its people, but that they were never truly killed. Somethin' somethin' about a moon princess and all that. But that part I don't care about. It's the locations of the last surviving moonman hideouts. I think the recent albedo variations on the moon are consistent the Banda papers.
Marco: I see... well, I still order you to come to the office.
Marco puts away his knife. His face is emotionless, as always.

You then show them the crystal.
Marco: Ah, that is a--
Angstrom: That's a Banda thoughtcrystal! Where'd you get it?
Marco: Angstrom... I fear for what they've done to your head.
Angstrom: Look who's talkin. You pulled a knife on me. What the hell?
Marco: I thought you to be under the effects of Banda possession magic. If you've had contact with them they'd surely want to steal our internal theories and methods. But your behavior seems instead more in line with some kind of fanboyism.

The crystal has since cooled down, which allows you to hold it in your hand without protection.
Marco: The crystal is of the kind found in ancient mountain ruins. They have the ability to transmit thoughts and commands from one person to another. Allowing telepathy, basically.

You have a black Cloak of Ash (protects against Ashlight and fire)

You have a Zweihänder slung on your shoulder (Attack power: 4) (can only be used offensively every other turn)
You have a Katzbalger (Attack power: 2)
You have an arquebus (Attack power: 3) (Your opponent gets an extra positive die to dodge)
You are wearing light plate armor (incoming attacks lose 1 attack power if over 1)
You have about one hundred and fifty Hours

Archae, enjoying the feeling of the wind flying past him at tremendous speeds, nevertheless turns his mind back to the task at hand.

He decides to try and land on the roof.

[3][1]/[6] You land on the roof, scraping your wings, but you don't need them anyway. The damage won't carry over when you transform back (a free action).

Down the hole in the ceiling you see many levels filled with books and shelves. It seems that there was some sort of force dragging them into the hole, as there are quite a lot of multicolored books just scattered around the edge, along with toppled bookshelves. In fact, it seems to have been a quite recent event, for the books still retain their bright covers.
The chasm continues until the hole becomes a dark pinpoint. The bookcases extend as far as you can see down.

To your sides, you notice the castle is barren. Looters must have climbed up here and stripped it clean of all the usual stuff you'd find on top of a castle, such as weapons and tools.

You have a green poison slime with Paralysis

You remember a red, blue, and a green spell-slime (weak)

You have a red resonance crystal.

You have a spiny walking stick (Attack power: (attacking head) 2, (attacking other parts) 1)
You have a silversteel falchion (Attack power: (on odd swings) 3, (on even swings) 2)
You remember your time in the wilderness well
You have some sandwiches and citrus
You have a Sprite Trap, labelled with the words "Samantha Magdelene, professor at U.T"
You have seventy-five Hours

I laugh at the suggestion
"Do you honestly believe there isn't protection against spells in the chamber of a ruler of a land where magic is available to all? Where even a common band of thieves has a caster amongst them? If that were the case then this ruler would be a mere puppet of any courtier that could afford a proper mage's services."
"If that could even work then it would have no lasting power."

She laughs back.
Efa: That's why I wasn't planning to try the book. But magic is certainly far less prevalent here than it was in my homeland. And we did not have effective protections against magical assassinations there. It was generally agreed upon that bodyguards should be experts at Dispel techniques. If you are especially vulnerable to that, due to your nature, then I will not ask you to go. However, the fact remains that I need some way of contacting the Kaiserin. Or at least a way to send her a message. Got any ideas?

Efa's cap is destroyed (no longer absorbs damage) and her head is bruised (1)
Efa has a long rifle and 8 bullets (4 attack power)

It is the 5th hour after noon. Ash is blazing even brighter in the azure sky, burning all exposed objects and adding +1 to all die in a thoughtform roll.
Expected end of Ashstorm: 7th hour.  (Next hour: Turn 42)
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 35)
« Reply #379 on: July 14, 2015, 10:54:30 pm »

"Have you considered just getting in line for a public audience? Boring, I know, but rulers have them on a regular basis for just this sort of thing."
"Orrrrrr you could always find out who does have their ear, then who the secretary of that person is, and go hunting for ways to bend the unguarded secretary to your needs..."
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 18, 2015, 05:30:00 pm »

((Bump))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 21, 2015, 05:29:26 pm »

"Well, how does that telepathy work? Between people with them or could I just use it to talk to ya? Ya want this crystal for somethin'? And now what do ya want to do? I mean, the corpse isn't dead and your pal seems at least a tad crazy." Leonhard says, pointing his thumb at Angstrom at the last part.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 21, 2015, 06:51:33 pm »

"Well, how does that telepathy work? Between people with them or could I just use it to talk to ya? Ya want this crystal for somethin'? And now what do ya want to do? I mean, the corpse isn't dead and your pal seems at least a tad crazy." Leonhard says, pointing his thumb at Angstrom at the last part.

Marco: It requires a skilled user of thoughtform to send thoughtpatterns to and read the mental states of those near the crystal. Only one, however, is needed. Judging by its dull red glow I say it was probably used just now. Most suspicious...

Angstrom: Well, lucky you and all, but uh... I really gotta get outta here before this Ashstorm's up. I'm still being hunted, you know. And I actually have the papers here, He pulls out a roll of papyrus.
Angstrom: I mean, if my plan's failed then there's no harm done, right? Still, I gotta get to safety. Hey merc-man, you going anywhere after the storm? I'd like to hitch a ride, least till the next town.

The bartender has nothing to say, except that he'd like his medical bill paid.
Angstrom: It's in my paycheck. replies Angstrom, motioning toward Marco.

"Have you considered just getting in line for a public audience? Boring, I know, but rulers have them on a regular basis for just this sort of thing."
"Orrrrrr you could always find out who does have their ear, then who the secretary of that person is, and go hunting for ways to bend the unguarded secretary to your needs..."

Efa: Public audience? I'm not sure about. There was a gathering planned today. The Kaiserin is looking for distinguished and able nobles. I am no noble of this land. So public audience is not reliable, at least today. In the future perhaps it will be feasible, but... well... I just don't have time to wait. I have other missions. Specifically at a certain lake in the forest... there is a someone there that I've scheduled an appointment with.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: July 21, 2015, 11:01:36 pm »

Leonhard insists on the matter, offering the crystal to Marco. "Wanna investigate what it was used for? Might be useful information." he says, before turning to Angstrom. "There's an audience with the Kaiserin I was invited to. Should probably be there just to check out exactly what it's about, I wasn't given too much in the way of detail."
>Yes?

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: July 21, 2015, 11:55:39 pm »

"...Good beastie. Very good." Zikal quickly thought of a name he should give the beast. Bovril. 'He' looks like a Bovril.

Motion 'Bovril' to safely return to the group and attempt to get on his back.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 24, 2015, 12:20:38 pm »

While the bonetacles are distracted, get to safety

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 24, 2015, 03:43:31 pm »

((Does safety mean "get on the back of the perfectly-safe flying bug thing" or "get the heck away from the flying bug thing"?))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 25, 2015, 02:20:18 am »

"You want a bold, daring idea for how to convince the ruler of a land to listen to a foreign traveler without contacts or credentials before the day is out?"
"There are old predators.
and there are bold predators.
but there are no old, bold, predators."

"Don't be silly! You need to think long-term. If you have nobody to vouch for you, then even if you manage to spea, your word will have little weight. Step one is make friends in high places!"
"Or enemies that don't understand you. those can be used too. Make them attack what they think you support, and enjoy watching them do your bidding unknowingly. It's always good fun."
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 36)
« Reply #388 on: July 25, 2015, 05:39:38 pm »

Roll 36

"...Good beastie. Very good." Zikal quickly thought of a name he should give the beast. Bovril. 'He' looks like a Bovril.

Motion 'Bovril' to safely return to the group and attempt to get on his back.

Bovril approaches the group.
[4][1] You become the first to step up onto Bovril. However, without a saddle or any handhold other than the creature's thick, fluffy fur and the many eyes that dot its body, you are forced to grab on to its side and use a lower eye as a foothold.

The creature promptly rolls mid-air and flings you down onto the ground. Off of the quicksand, of course.

You have a stack of spell tome pages and a black cover

You have a bloodied ceremonial dagger (Attack power: 3) (attaches to target and Drains it, suppressing it) (remembering a memory teleports this weapon to your hand)

You have a Beech Javelin (Attack power: 3 (thrown), 1 (stab))
You have 10 Javelin memories (lucid)
You have about thirty Hours
You have a royal goblet, a golden watch, and some jewelry

You remember the Lady of Winter
You remember a giant eye
You remember many pixies
You remember a band of Arinthian soldiers and some bandits
You remember a bandit sinking into the ground

[5][4] Unlike Zikal, you yourself have much greater success mounting the creature. It seems to struggle under your weight. Zikal may have been wrong about its strength. Either way, the creature should be able to ferry your party across the quicksand, if not one-by-one.

On the other side is a swamp free of bonetacles. Instead, the mud bubbles gently with non-sentient phenomena and the sprites glitter overhead. Said sprites are also seemingly afraid of Bovril. They part as the creature approaches.
The ground there is slippery and muddy, but too thick for there to be bonetacles. It opens up into a clearing where a crystal-clear lake is visible, along with a long sandy beach made of black sand.

Your left arm is bruised (1)

You have a schematic of an iron arrow trap

You have a steel axe (Attack power: 1) (Deals piercing damage if the attack connects but fails to pierce)
You have an iron mace (Attack power: 2) (If the target has less than 2 damage, deals piercing damage)

You have a charged large greatbow (Attack power: 3 (charged), 1 (uncharged)) (charging takes one turn of preparation)
You have an uncharged Quickbow (Attack power: 1. Can fire twice per turn. Charging it allows you to fire two arrows per attack, four in one turn)
You have 11 arrows in your quiver (Attack power: 1)
There is one recoverable arrow near the Old Fortress Mound
You have an important scroll in a copper cylinder
You have about one hundred Hours

Leonhard insists on the matter, offering the crystal to Marco. "Wanna investigate what it was used for? Might be useful information." he says, before turning to Angstrom. "There's an audience with the Kaiserin I was invited to. Should probably be there just to check out exactly what it's about, I wasn't given too much in the way of detail."

As you hand the crystal to Marco, it warms up in your hand to the point where it becomes too hot to hold.
Marco: I'm trying to tell you something.

You then realize it wasn't Marco that said it at all. It was much higher-pitched, a woman's voice. You didn't actually hear what Marco said. Angstrom also seems to be talking, but no voice issues forth.
Strange Voice: You must find a woman with a scarlet robe at the palace. She wants her own audience with the Kaiserin. If you help her, she will take you to the Lake of Dreams. We can discuss things there.

You have a Zweihänder slung on your shoulder (Attack power: 4) (can only be used offensively every other turn)
You have a Katzbalger (Attack power: 2)
You have an arquebus (Attack power: 3) (Your opponent gets an extra positive die to dodge)
You are wearing light plate armor (incoming attacks lose 1 attack power if over 1)
You have about one hundred and fifty Hours

Archae, enjoying the feeling of the wind flying past him at tremendous speeds, nevertheless turns his mind back to the task at hand.

He decides to try and land on the roof.

[3][1]/[6] You land on the roof, scraping your wings, but you don't need them anyway. The damage won't carry over when you transform back (a free action).

Down the hole in the ceiling you see many levels filled with books and shelves. It seems that there was some sort of force dragging them into the hole, as there are quite a lot of multicolored books just scattered around the edge, along with toppled bookshelves. In fact, it seems to have been a quite recent event, for the books still retain their bright covers.
The chasm continues until the hole becomes a dark pinpoint. The bookcases extend as far as you can see down.

To your sides, you notice the castle is barren. Looters must have climbed up here and stripped it clean of all the usual stuff you'd find on top of a castle, such as weapons and tools.

You have a green poison slime with Paralysis

You remember a red, blue, and a green spell-slime (weak)

You have a red resonance crystal.

You have a spiny walking stick (Attack power: (attacking head) 2, (attacking other parts) 1)
You have a silversteel falchion (Attack power: (on odd swings) 3, (on even swings) 2)
You remember your time in the wilderness well
You have some sandwiches and citrus
You have a Sprite Trap, labelled with the words "Samantha Magdelene, professor at U.T"
You have seventy-five Hours

"You want a bold, daring idea for how to convince the ruler of a land to listen to a foreign traveler without contacts or credentials before the day is out?"
"There are old predators.
and there are bold predators.
but there are no old, bold, predators."

"Don't be silly! You need to think long-term. If you have nobody to vouch for you, then even if you manage to spea, your word will have little weight. Step one is make friends in high places!"
"Or enemies that don't understand you. those can be used too. Make them attack what they think you support, and enjoy watching them do your bidding unknowingly. It's always good fun."

Efa: Hmm... high places...
She thinks to herself for a bit.
Efa: Say... could you happen to get me to a high place? I am aware of the ashstorm, just get me to a safe shadow on top of the palace. The robe I wear was designed for the outside world.
She puts up a hood that was hidden inside the robe, a feature designed to sacrifice neither form nor function. She then checks the book inside her pocket.
Efa: I happen to have a very good means of making friends. I an skeptical of its utility in the midst of armed guards, but surely it will work on a member of a noble family. There's got to be one lounging in the upper quarters. If all fails, we can make our escape with ease--the guards cannot chase us into the scorching heat.

Efa's cap is destroyed (no longer absorbs damage)

It is the 5th hour after noon. Ash is blazing even brighter in the azure sky, burning all exposed objects and adding +1 to all die in a thoughtform roll.
Expected end of Ashstorm: 7th hour.  (Next hour: Turn 42)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 08:37:52 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 26, 2015, 05:03:37 am »

"Yes, but you'll have to trust me."
"I can gift you with flight, but I can take it away as well. Are you willing to risk yourself in the sky to my whims?"
If she says yes, then PMing action
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 40