Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Retro (23a)][Community][Livestream] Claspmirror - We're Doomed ...  (Read 1193 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews

So, after having Gemgorge violently go up (or down) in flames, and Shatteredlines save file corrupting itself, I decided to livestream something a bit different. Given most of the DF community seems to have played 40d or later, very few are familiar with the specifics of the original 2D versions of Dwarf Fortress. I've decided for my most recent streamed fort to pull out this antique, and show a very different DF.

(I didn't start taking screenshots until half way in, I apologize)

My goal for this fort is to give a full overview of the game, to attempt to attract a king, show the "dig to the yellow line" mandate, get to the candy, and then get the fort "Too Deeped". Assuming I haven't burned out on DF at this point, I'll train up an adventurer, and try to slay what evils lie below. I'm not feeling much on plot on this one, though I welcome anyone to grab a dwarf, write a story, and jump in, but I'll give the quick highlight reel:

• Noted the new fort message is different than current versions
  • Was surprised that you couldn't embark with an anvil
  • I want a bookkeeper ... :(
  • More surprised that a migrant shows up with an anvil at the start of summer (notably your only migrant year one)
  • The river took forever to get to, and due to the much slower mining speed in this version, spring was nearly done by time I pierced it
  • Food is MUCH harder to get. On my twitch stream, Krysismode suggested I just farm in the hallway which was flooded when I pierced the river; promptly followed through
  • The idiots let food rot on the vine
  • Dwarvish stupidity was much higher in this version
  • The above sleeping picture? Happened after the resupply wagon showed up, and they've yet to successfully haul anything to the traders
  • Interface is .... well, it makes you appreiate the modern versions of DF that much more
  • Tried to figure out floodgate mechanics, not sure I got it right, but to prevent starvation, going with nile-style farm plots. Should just barely survive the winter as is. Boozecooking was a thing in this version, will take advantage of it if I have to
  • Did I mention Dwarvish Stupidity? Because I had someone cancel "Prepare Raw Fish" for hunting for vemin -_-;;;;;;;
  • I might have broken down on the stream when this happened
  • Roads take forever to build. I know you need one to get wagons to show up, I just didn't expect it to take six months to build what little I did. We won't have that road hooked up until year three at this rate
  • Dining room is going to get dug out next. Economy is going to make housing in this fort !!exciting!!, I just know it
  • I'm sorely tempted to get the full set of nobles just because I can. All guilds, and such; BRING ON THE MANDATES!
  • Assuming I can figure out how to do it, I'm making a FTW device, which will either work awesome, or incinerate all my dwarves.

I have no idea where this crazy train is going, but I think its going to be !!fun!!

The map as of Autumn

[/list]
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 11:54:02 pm by NCommander »
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
Re: [Retro (23a)][Community][Livestream] Claspmirror - We're Doomed ...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 04:04:25 am »

Yay, a 2D fortress! Haven't seen (or played) one in ages! This should be fun.
Just FYI - you might want to install some rescue bridges on the river.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 12:44:01 pm »

Hooray, antique-style fortress! If you accept dorfings, I'd like to take one of those arrogant nobles.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 06:14:10 pm »

I'm streaming claspmirror right now, join in for the FUN: http://www.twitch.tv/ncommander

Twitch committed suidice, I got disconnected 45 minutes in, and can't reconnect -_-;
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 06:40:12 pm by NCommander »
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 06:43:50 pm »

As long as I'm getting my noble (Baron or Guild leader preferrable) I don't really care. Obey my mandates, and everything will be fine.
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews

So. I decided to do a bit of plumbing. I managed to flood everything BUT my fortress

Yeah ...

Also, wild life doesn't drown in this version:

and if you build the aquaduct, don't leave it in midriver, it WILL suck water in and ruin your attempt to drain the world.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

BUT HOW?!  :o