Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round Fifteen: More NationGen [Game Ended]  (Read 26743 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dominions 4 Round Fifteen: More NationGen [Game Ended]
« on: May 24, 2015, 04:55:24 pm »

Link to NationGen:
http://koti.kapsi.fi/~elmokki/dom4/unitgen/

Link to current officious patch (0.5.0.11E, released 20150529):
http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/nationgen-for-dominions-4/page/13#1046448

Drafting seed: NG 0.5.0.11E seed #394439665 x all defaults x 100 nations

Game name: Bay12GamesRound415
Map: Biddyn
Mods: Nationgen/House of Weather 1.2
Era: Nationgen/MA
Disciples: No
Time allowance: 30 hours at start, presumably
Special site frequency: 50
Random event frequency: Common
Score graphs: Off
Hall of Fame: 15
Artifact forging limit : Limited
Thrones: 6x1, 3x2, 8/12
Renaming: Allowed
Research: Normal

Players:
1. E. Albright
2. Karlito
3. Darkwind3
4. Il Palazzo
5. Jilladilla
6. AlStar
7. USEC_OFFICER

Backup-ish:
lijacote

Nation selection:

Draft order:
  • Darkwind3 - Dobgan (-1001676910)
  • Il Palazzo (AI) - Qurghannia  (-1206538117)
  • Karlito - Luha (1103089966)
  • AlStar (AI) - Lissikos (-292053580)
  • E. Albright - Djedhur (-1047122704)
  • USEC_OFFICER - Nefton (1007769634)
  • Jilladilla - Urumsoi (-1865227816)
  • Jilladilla (AI) - Shansahr (-2115897110)
  • USEC_OFFICER - Veroor (-2079095603)
  • E. Albright - Sinam (2012634178)
  • AlStar - Zawtep (-1367155203)
  • Karlito - Apollpos (1991027251)
  • Il Palazzo - Shela (321942488)
  • Darkwind3 - Obliheim (-2033449213)

Spoiler: Darkwind3 - Obliheim (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Karlito - Luha (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: AlStar - Lissikos (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: E. Albright - Djedhur (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: USEC_OFFICER: - Veroor (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Jilladilla - Shansahr (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: How does PBEM work? (click to show/hide)

Useful links:
Dom4 forums on Desura
Link to Edi's Dom4 Database
An archived snapshot of the Dom3 wiki: Yes, it's still relevant, and it hasn't been replaced yet, so... It has loads of useful information, including strategy guides. Keep in mind that while a lot of this information is still very useful and valid, a lot of it is entirely out-of-date.

Llama Server: the automatic hosting server for our game.
Llama Server's map and mod browser (Yes, it's not really a browser, but you can browse the maps and mods here)
Dom4 Mod Inspector Very useful. You can browse all the nations, items, spells and sites in the game with it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 11:21:23 am by E. Albright »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well count me in, gotta have my revenge against all of you, yada yada...

I'd be fine with another nationgen game.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As discussed in the 4.10 thread. So, um, NationGen again? Il Palazzo and Darkwind 3 [edit: and Karlito] have expressed interest. I'd suggest that we not accept inexperienced players unless we do a Disciple game (which could be interesting, but is a lot higher time commitment), as the three [edit: four] volunteers we have so far are crusty old veterans who really shouldn't be left unsupervised with new players. So do we have any other players on the higher end of the experience spectrum? Higher MP experience preferably, but if you're weaselly enough a lot of SP and a good grasp of mechanics can work as a substitute (I personally only have around 7 MP games under my belt, and I can hold my own). Anyway, blah blah blah. Do we have enough interested parties to get this thing going?

Darkwind3

• Bay Watcher
  • Walks like an Egyptian
    • View Profile

I'm definitely interested. I can't wait to swarm the world to put the Vaettir where they belong, on top! Or whichever species I happen to play; I'm not picky.

Another thing you might want to note is that Dominions front-loads a lot of its strategy (in pretender creation) and NationGen front-loads even more of it (with both pretender and nation creation). Bad pretender choice can ruin a player's game, and while I haven't seen wild swings in power with nations in NationGen, I also haven't been looking for them. I'm sure it's possible for a new player to accidentally trap themselves with a poorly-chosen nation even if they improve as the game goes on.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's a good point, and one I'd meant to mention but forgot. NG does tend to be a bit more demanding than vanilla Dom because it takes some experience or strong grasp of mechanics to recognize what is and isn't a good nation, or whether a bunch of positive elements synergize together to make an unstoppable juggernaut instead of tripping over each other to make an unstartable jalopy.

So yeah, that's another point in favor of comfortably experienced players only unless we do disciples.

Oh, and the wild swings in power ARE there, even if they're not as dramatic as they were in Dom3. I've made probably as many NG nations as anyone and I've definitely seen some abominations. More novice deathtraps than abominations, but the abominations are there. And, um, since I kinda fixed the data bug that was keeping units from getting Awe added when they had Awe-granting filters, there's some more weight on the overpowering side of the balance spectrum with the new patch...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 05:52:55 pm by E. Albright »

Darkwind3

• Bay Watcher
  • Walks like an Egyptian
    • View Profile

I've been tooling around with the newest version of NationGen and I've already generated a nation that is Eriu if Sidhe Lords were A2N1?1(AWEN) for exactly the same cost, and also if Eriu had amphiptere cavalry. Suffice it to say that I am hype.

e: the cap-only mages are A3H3?2(WEN), with the random linked. It's beautiful. They should have sent a poet.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 06:16:36 pm by Darkwind3 »

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile

I'm hypothetically interested, but my track record for the last game was very staley. I am unsure I will be really interested in keeping up. I have lost my touch with the community. :(
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile

Can I join in on this? While I'm not exactly a MP vet, I'm holding off a 3v1 in another game so I feel that I won't go down too easily.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Yes, I'm in.
I don't know about my vet-cred anymore, though. Every time I open a turn in 413 to see the reports I'm thinking to myself: I've gone senile.

Speaking of senile, somebody has got to gently walk me and other natgen semi-newbies through the process of choosing a nation. Do we submit our own? Do we generate a batch and do a round-robin, or what?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like to do a draft again, yeah. It evens the playing field a bit and cuts the cheese down to a more reasonable level. It also rewards insight and knowledge of mechanics over sheer patience. :p

Once we figure out how many players we have/want, and settle on an era, I'll generate a seed with at least 10x the nations we have players (or maybe just 100), we'll draft two nations then nix one of our neightbors', and we should be read to go.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, I'm in.
I don't know about my vet-cred anymore, though. Every time I open a turn in 413 to see the reports I'm thinking to myself: I've gone senile.

Tell me about it. I may be getting crusty hanging around in these threads too often, but I've been thinking lately that maybe I'm not actually that good at Dominions. Certainly I've never been able to repeat the success I had in Dominions 3 Round 7...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 01:14:43 pm by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Having generated a few nations, I have to say my favourite units are Hoburgs in clockwork power armour. Although winged Avvim, lizard runners riding crocodiles, and Vaettis brandishing jotun axes are not bad either.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm interested in this - sign me up.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile

Yeah, I'm definitely joining this if you guys will have me. Nationgen is pretty exciting, and the new patch seems pretty awesome.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We need to figure out how many players we want. My minimum would have been 6, my max is... say... 12, though that would be excessive, and I doubt we'll clear 10. So how many more are we looking for? My goal is to get the drafting done and have the game ready to start in a week, though I'd be okay with 10 days. I'm actually not in a massive hurry with this; given how long the games take, I'm more than a little okay with due deliberation setting things up, especially when it's complicated like NG is...

I'm looking to push out a quickfix 0.5.0.10E in the next day or two to address some data issues that came to light. Only a tiny bit of content changes, and those will be superficial I think, so the current patch is probably accurately indicative of what we'll be using.

Oh, and we might want to start thinking about era preferences. The differences aren't huge, but this shows roughly what distros are... although I made this early last week, before the 4 slaver race variants were even a gleam in my eye, so they're not listed. But aside from them:

« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 08:33:01 pm by E. Albright »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18