Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 609 610 [611] 612 613 ... 622

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 832604 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #9150 on: December 15, 2022, 09:43:12 am »

Or you could spend a whole grueling quest fighting against something insurmountable only for the government to show up and turn the eldritch god into a battery.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9151 on: December 15, 2022, 10:33:21 am »

Or you could spend a whole grueling quest fighting against something insurmountable only for the government to show up and turn the eldritch god into a battery.
Gubmint can be a good source of mundane horror in these settings… there’s a bit of that in the Southern Reach trilogy, where the Anthropocene horror entity/zone is under investigation by an organisation controlled by a group only known as Central. Works quite well as cosmic horror often uses a kind of literalness or mundanity (the Old Ones are beyond comprehension but sometimes you just encounter literal giant piles of sea-flesh) alongside the eldritch stuff.

Or if you want to preserve the specialness of the cosmic entity, maybe just have the government be the ones poking around in it, perhaps even forcing it on the village Tuskegee/MKUltra style. Blood borne sort of did that, but hey. Final boss would be some kind of arcane special ops team, and afterwards the entity is just… still there. It never initiated any of it, it was just humans seeing what happened if they exposed people to the eldritch truth.

Anyhow, that’s enough rambling from me. Do tell us how it goes if you run it, Portent!
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9152 on: December 15, 2022, 10:37:25 am »

Or if you want to preserve the specialness of the cosmic entity, maybe just have the government be the ones poking around in it, perhaps even forcing it on the village Tuskegee/MKUltra style. Blood borne sort of did that, but hey.
A corpse... should be left well alone.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9153 on: December 17, 2022, 01:37:54 am »

Or if you want to preserve the specialness of the cosmic entity, maybe just have the government be the ones poking around in it, perhaps even forcing it on the village Tuskegee/MKUltra style. Blood borne sort of did that, but hey.
But necromancy.
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9154 on: December 17, 2022, 03:24:52 am »

But necromancy.
But what about scientific experimentation?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9155 on: December 17, 2022, 09:21:06 am »

Funnily enough I do have an idea for a Byrgenwerth scholar type NPC, who's there to pursue the eldritch phenomena for selfish goals.

One set piece I have in mind is the reveal of their true nature being them cutting open someone's head (while they are strapped into a chair and fully conscious) to check if their brain has been altered. Lots of people have gone missing in the town over the past few years, a lot of them lost to eldritch phenomena, others abducted and dissected by a clandestine doctor trying to study the growing corruption.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9156 on: December 26, 2022, 10:29:48 am »

Quote from: Bad DND Advice @nat1advice
DnD advice: At a loss for a last-minute holiday gift for your players? Pick them up a book they've never read. I'm getting each of my players one titled "Player's Handbook."
https://twitter.com/nat1advice/status/1473329931727749126
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9157 on: December 27, 2022, 05:00:43 pm »

I find myself wanting to play a Phyrexian PC some time.

A missionary sent from New Phyrexia via experimental magitech, to spread the good word of the Machine Orthodoxy on a new world.

Not malevolent per se, more just indiferent to morality and convinced that becoming Compleat is the best thing that can happen to anyone, and that unifying the world under Phyrexia will end all it's suffering. Lacking numbers, or large quantities of phyrexian oil, the character is reduced to actually preaching and convincing people to submit to infection through rhetoric and deed, in hopes of creating more phyrexians to further the cause and give the infection a chance to take root.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9158 on: December 27, 2022, 05:21:06 pm »

I'm strongly considering learning the Coyote and Crow system. Anyone else heard of it? I have the rulebook but haven't read it yet, I guess that's the first step.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9159 on: December 27, 2022, 05:32:13 pm »

I'm in a similar boat. Got the Core Rulebook on a sale awhile ago, but haven't been invested enough to read the whole thing yet. A sci-fi setting based on a utopian futuristic version of Native American cultures sounded interesting enough on a broader scale, but when I skimmed a few pages I didn't see something smaller scale to hook me deeper.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9160 on: January 03, 2023, 08:22:13 am »

Quote from: Bad DND Advice @nat1advice
DnD advice: At a loss for a last-minute holiday gift for your players? Pick them up a book they've never read. I'm getting each of my players one titled "Player's Handbook."
https://twitter.com/nat1advice/status/1473329931727749126
This one wounds on a philosophical level

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9161 on: January 03, 2023, 11:42:50 am »

I'm finally getting to play in a campaign again. It's been years since I wasn't DM. I will admit, though, to missing being at an actual table. Discord is wonderful, but just not the same.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9162 on: January 03, 2023, 08:14:15 pm »

Last night was the final session of a nine month long campaign. Whew, feels good to actually finish a story for once.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9163 on: January 06, 2023, 01:54:52 am »

Apropos nothing, but I'm making a goblin artificer for a level 3 one-shot and I'm working on what infusions to bring. Considered alchemy jug, but figured this character is probably a bit eccentric™ and so I was thinking of what kind of stupid command words would be associated with the different fluids available.

Then it struck me that "Key lime" is a pretty good fit for acid, and that's really all I came here to share.

I'm finally getting to play in a campaign again. It's been years since I wasn't DM. I will admit, though, to missing being at an actual table. Discord is wonderful, but just not the same.

Woohoo! Now to purge your mind of all DM-ness and just enjoy the brainless zen of being an adventurer!

Last night was the final session of a nine month long campaign. Whew, feels good to actually finish a story for once.

The main group I've been playing with recently just wrapped up a months-long arc as well, but... Seeing as I've only been a "dedicated guest" player with them for like four sessions, I can't say it had quite the same weight for me personally :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9164 on: January 06, 2023, 07:23:36 am »

You all hear about the new OGL update? Hasbro is trying to make the 1.0 obsolete using an update clause to declare the 1.0 no longer authorised, in an impressive move of legal quantum abrogation which probably is illegal but the courts will decide most like
Pages: 1 ... 609 610 [611] 612 613 ... 622