Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 137

Author Topic: Litany of the Void: A God Game (24/⊕∵↯):IC Tick ?:Who art thou?  (Read 185781 times)

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Litany of the Void: A God Game (16/⊕∵↯):IC Tick 1:Creation
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2015, 05:02:18 pm »

Disorientation may also be present in our creations without one.
Disagreement. A creature that has never known such a cycle would not be disorientated by it's absence.
And what else would you base a calendar on?
Seasons obviously.

While I agree that those who never saw the night would not miss it, but what seasons?

I vote for Torus world.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2015, 05:04:06 pm »

"I vote for the Torus world."

"Hm. Would it be true to state that my brethren are more concerned for themselves than for our forthcoming children? I am merely curious. And you forgot my vote for the sphere system."
"Watch your tongue, God of Unneeded Parenting Advice less I rip it from your mouth."
"I have no desire to preach to my fellows. Merely to know where they stand."

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 30, 2015, 05:04:47 pm »

Disorientation may also be present in our creations without one.
Disagreement. A creature that has never known such a cycle would not be disorientated by it's absence.
And what else would you base a calendar on?
Seasons obviously.

While I agree that those who never saw the night would not miss it, but what seasons?

I vote for Torus world.

Seasons can be added at no cost to the torus world by having it be slightly off center from the sun, so that part of it is closer and part of it is farther. As the torus rotates, this would cause seasonal variations as the distance from the sun changes.

Axial tilt has also been suggested as a mechanism of seasonal change.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2015, 05:10:49 pm »

Once again, I agree with your first idea but must question the second. How do you immagine a ring with axial tilt would look like?
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2015, 05:16:35 pm »

"Hello, everyone. I am Iliseth, Goddess of Souls and Blood." *bows* "I see that you have already begun talking about the world. Allow me to join."

"We are at an issue. Perhaps tiebreaker. Simplicity needed. Simple- two planets. Sphere sun in between. Planets orbit sun and rotate. Simple better. Another idea. When a sentient being dies, if that being is virtuous by several gods' standards, that being goes to the other world. Otherwise we take the essence for our own purposes. Odd. I am gaining in complexity."
"I am in support of this idea but only if it is changed, somewhat. Firstly, I request that each planet has its own moon, tidally-locked to their own planet and orbiting them. This is merely a preference and a world without them would be acceptable in my eyes.

Secondly and much more importantly, while I am in support of the idea of reincarnation, the system should merely be used as default and not enforced. If we were to make an afterlife, there should be nothing that prevents our followers from entering it.

Thirdly, I am against the idea that only being virtuous by many of our standards should be allowed to reincarnate. There are many problems with this system and I will list them below, but I believe that all sapient souls should be allowed to reincarnate by default. There is little reason in my eyes why we should use our time to save the souls of sentient or lesser beings. By definition they cannot worship us and so long as reincarnation is not necessary for the allowing of life to exist, there is no point."

(Using the Ye Gods definition of sentient. Non-sentient=no free will; sentient=free will; sapient=free will and capable of worship. Ants are non-sentient, dogs are sentient, humans are sapient.)
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2015, 05:19:09 pm »

Once again, I agree with your first idea but must question the second. How do you immagine a ring with axial tilt would look like?
((Like this? ???
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
))

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2015, 05:19:32 pm »

"Illumination is not the issue here. Cosmetics aren't the problem. The lack of a day/night cycle turns the world into an oven and a freezer dependent on what side you're on. Simply put. Future creations will find it to be a deathworld. They will not survive."

"Should there be a series of moons orbiting the sun within the Torus donut and providing heat distribution and a day/night cycle, I would support the Torus. I will not spend essence on it as it is an overcomplicated waste of resources.

"Hello, everyone. I am Iliseth, Goddess of Souls and Blood." *bows* "I see that you have already begun talking about the world. Allow me to join."

"We are at an issue. Perhaps tiebreaker. Simplicity needed. Simple- two planets. Sphere sun in between. Planets orbit sun and rotate. Simple better. Another idea. When a sentient being dies, if that being is virtuous by several gods' standards, that being goes to the other world. Otherwise we take the essence for our own purposes. Odd. I am gaining in complexity."
"I am in support of this idea but only if it is changed, somewhat. Firstly, I request that each planet has its own moon, tidally-locked to their own planet and orbiting them. This is merely a preference and a world without them would be acceptable in my eyes.

Secondly and much more importantly, while I am in support of the idea of reincarnation, the system should merely be used as default and not enforced. If we were to make an afterlife, there should be nothing that prevents our followers from entering it.

Thirdly, I am against the idea that only being virtuous by many of our standards should be allowed to reincarnate. There are many problems with this system and I will list them below, but I believe that all sapient souls should be allowed to reincarnate by default. There is little reason in my eyes why we should use our time to save the souls of sentient or lesser beings. By definition they cannot worship us and so long as reincarnation is not necessary for the allowing of life to exist, there is no point."

(Using the Ye Gods definition of sentient. Non-sentient=no free will; sentient=free will; sapient=free will and capable of worship. Ants are non-sentient, dogs are sentient, humans are sapient.)
"This has my support."

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 30, 2015, 05:20:57 pm »

"My sister of Blood makes some good points regarding reincarnation."

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 30, 2015, 05:29:51 pm »

All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 30, 2015, 05:35:27 pm »

Please, can we discuss a topic at a time? I would normally be in favor of multitasking, but I have a feeling this will only serve to slow down an already incredibly slow system.

And Nilva, are you ignoring most of my arguments because you cannot defeat them? I already told you that both the northern and southern sections will be suitable for regular life, and that as gods, there is nothing that prevent us to adapt said life to be able to inhabit the other parts of this world. We in favor of the torus world have been patiently answering each of your(those of you who favor the spherical world) arguments while you all play deaf to any argument you can't defeat. This is highly infuriating and needlessly childish.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2015, 05:40:36 pm »

"In my opinion, 'because we're gods' is a poor reason to do the least-optimal thing. It is within our power to make a toric system but it would require more work than creating a simple spherical system if we want it to perform as well as one."

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 30, 2015, 05:45:14 pm »

"In my opinion, 'because we're gods' is a poor reason to do the least-optimal thing. It is within our power to make a toric system but it would require more work than creating a simple spherical system if we want it to perform as well as one."
Why is that? What basis do you have for these claims? Please don't tell me this is about the day-night cycle thing again

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2015, 05:55:55 pm »

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2015, 05:58:49 pm »

((PtW))
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2015, 06:01:43 pm »

Increased cost for creating a planet large enough that it wraps all the way around the sun
Increased cost for defying gravity to allow its existence
False. It would cost exactly the same as a conventional planet.
*Another way is to change how gravity itself works but not only would that also cost Essence, it would have serious unforeseen consequences. Also, we'd be changing a law of nature just to accommodate a planet
We're gods at the literal beginning of time. Physics hasn't been set in stone yet. How we make our solar system will probably iron out most of the details, without us needing to expend essence.
Ever-present deadzones on two sides of the world without artificial protection (costs Essence)
Debateable whether they would actually be deadzones, i.e. no they fucking wouldn't be. We can make creatures who can survive in vacuum, and you're worried about it being too cold or hot?
The creation of entire moons for a day/night cycle
...must resist urge to flip out and destroy the concepts of day and night...
*The front moon would have to be large enough or else the front of the planet will turn into a deadzone
Just make it flat.
If the front is a deadzone, it will eventually melt and evaporate away, destroying the rest of the planet
What?
*Spending Essence for some kind of protection
Against what?
*Changing physics so this wouldn't happen (costs Essence, unforeseen consequences (one foreseen consequence is the increased difficulty of metal-working))
You're the only one focused on changing physics here.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 06:07:40 pm by Demonic Spoon »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 137