Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 807302 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Hype Never Changes
« Reply #225 on: June 04, 2015, 03:33:31 pm »

Geography, during the height of the cold war (which is a strong component of how Black Isle decided what survived and what didn't) the estimated total nuclear arsenal of Earth could destroy approximately ten percent of the Earths land area, based on cold-war era documents, Europe would have been blanketed with nuclear weapons adequate to completely destroy every square mile of the continent due to the fact that Europe would have been the site of all ground combat on that front.  the rest of the world's nuclear arsenal was slated for major military, industrial and commercial sites in Russia and the US, as well as all major ports across the world.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 04, 2015, 03:37:16 pm »

At best we miiiight see some some parts of china at some point in the franchise since they were a major faction before atomic hell. Thought I'd expect it to be in a DLC rather that in a standalone game. That way they could show bits of the place without having to flesh out the place too much. The rest of the world is barely mentioned anywhere in the games. Another place that we could see would be Canada, since the US took over the place before everything went to hell. I don't remember if they built vaults there, however.

And also yeah, it's weird that there's anything left of DC. Maybe they focused their anti-nuke thingy to protect the place? It wouldn't make much sense to save the capital and let the biggest population center undefended. There's also the fact that Vegas was almost entirely shielded from the nukes. It would be hard to believe that a single rich guy would have more defensive resources than the entire US military.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 04, 2015, 03:38:43 pm »

Vegas doesn't have anything to destroy, no nukes were targeted at it.  Compare to Los Angeles (Boneyard) in Fallout 1.  As for DC, that's part of my gripe at Bethesdas take on the lore.  there should be NOTHING standing on the US East Coast.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 04, 2015, 03:41:27 pm »

I imagine the reasoning for not setting anything outside of America is... Well, there isn't much to go on in the lore and if you just make up all the details you might as well create a new franchise since most people would be more curious as to what happens in the mainland US, since that's where all the plot is.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 04, 2015, 03:43:13 pm »

Vegas doesn't have anything to destroy, no nukes were targeted at it.
There were nukes shot at vegas, just not a lot and House managed to intercept some before they could go off. That's part of the main reason behind the game's plot.

I imagine the reasoning for not setting anything outside of America is... Well, there isn't much to go on in the lore and if you just make up all the details you might as well create a new franchise since most people would be more curious as to what happens in the mainland US, since that's where all the plot is.
I'm surprised there haven't been any big projects (or attempts at them) to make a mod for an area outside the US.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 04, 2015, 03:44:07 pm »

There have been (for Fallout 3), but most of them died due to lack of interest.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 04, 2015, 03:44:40 pm »

Vegas doesn't have anything to destroy, no nukes were targeted at it.  Compare to Los Angeles (Boneyard) in Fallout 1.  As for DC, that's part of my gripe at Bethesdas take on the lore.  there should be NOTHING standing on the US East Coast.

They keep mentioning in NV that most of the nukes were stopped, and that if they had the platinum chip your character was supposed to deliver back then, they would have managed to block all of them. There were definitively nukes targeting the place.

Edit: Ninja'ed
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 04, 2015, 03:45:34 pm »

I've never heard anything in NV mention swatting down nukes.  Just lots of blather about how great House is.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 04, 2015, 03:46:03 pm »

It was a fairly big part of the main plot...

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 04, 2015, 03:47:49 pm »

If you're talking about lonesome road or one of the other DLCs, no it wasn't.  It was additional data, that I still haven't seen (due to a ridiculous number of things) and cannot be called a major part of the plot.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 04, 2015, 03:48:16 pm »

If you're talking about lonesome road or one of the other DLCs, no it wasn't.  It was additional data, that I still haven't seen (due to a ridiculous number of things) and cannot be called a major part of the plot.
No. House tells you this himself, at least in his branch of the story.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 04, 2015, 03:48:50 pm »

It was in the main game...Pay more attention? Seriously. That's the whole reason it's STILL THERE.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 04, 2015, 03:49:12 pm »

I've never heard anything in NV mention swatting down nukes.  Just lots of blather about how great House is.
Mr. House himself (and his obituary if you kill him) state that his automatic defence systems shot down most of the nukes aimed at Vegas.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 04, 2015, 03:52:38 pm »

Okay, just verified that, but it stinks of Houses tendency to self aggrandize, there is nothing in Vegas worth nuking.

Maybe the lot of you should realize that some of us don't communicate with megalomaniacs and just kill them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 04, 2015, 03:54:03 pm »

Okay, just verified that, but it stinks of Houses tendency to self aggrandize, there is nothing in Vegas worth nuking.

No he is a Mary Sue fanfiction character added to the game :P

He exaggerates nothing :P
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 462