Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 808214 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Occiderunt, Diripientur, Redii
« Reply #3540 on: November 16, 2015, 04:43:40 pm »

Usually when playing a game, one finds all the flaws it has quite early, Be it many or few.
This game... After getting the large flaws out of the way in the start of the game It just keeps on showing small minor ones the longer one play. Be it game mechanics that when getting more familliar with shows the flaws or small things one notices when the freshness of the experience starts fading.
Spoiler: Common complaints (click to show/hide)

Anyway, The people at Bethseda must have some schizophrenic relationship with time and entropy.
There are so many things in the world that have no relation to elapsed time it seems.
Most objects would have been rubble, rust or dirt with no maintenance and being exposed to acid rain and whatever other enviromental catastrophy the nukes caused.
There are so many skeletons outside that I assume are intended to look like they died when the nukes went off.
The minutemen general has been dead for 3 years but his corpse looks like less than a week passed.
Somehow, one finds pipe weapons and caps in areas that have been sealed for 200 years.
The list can go on for a long time but I guess they went with the dramatic appearance and said fuck logic.

After 200 years, there wouldn't be anything left of civilisation at all, if it was done realistically. In case you hadn't noticed, Fallout tends towards the unrealistic aspect with its science.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: November 16, 2015, 04:45:46 pm »

Usually when playing a game, one finds all the flaws it has quite early, Be it many or few.
This game... After getting the large flaws out of the way in the start of the game It just keeps on showing small minor ones the longer one play. Be it game mechanics that when getting more familliar with shows the flaws or small things one notices when the freshness of the experience starts fading.
Spoiler: Common complaints (click to show/hide)

Anyway, The people at Bethseda must have some schizophrenic relationship with time and entropy.
There are so many things in the world that have no relation to elapsed time it seems.
Most objects would have been rubble, rust or dirt with no maintenance and being exposed to acid rain and whatever other enviromental catastrophy the nukes caused.
There are so many skeletons outside that I assume are intended to look like they died when the nukes went off.
The minutemen general has been dead for 3 years but his corpse looks like less than a week passed.
Somehow, one finds pipe weapons and caps in areas that have been sealed for 200 years.
The list can go on for a long time but I guess they went with the dramatic appearance and said fuck logic.
That last paragraph can apply to basically any fantasy or post-apocalyptic game. You realise that, right?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: November 16, 2015, 05:03:48 pm »

i somewhat agree tho. i thought it was stupid when they went with 200 years future in fallout 3, where for me it always was an alternate reality ~1980 (with the war around 1960)
but yeah, after 200 years, allmost everything was rust and rubble.
aaanyway, had a few years to get over this issue.

so, why is the paintjob the same slot as the coatings? i totally want hotrod + prism shielding (even without that +1 agi from hotrod, screw that)
also, more paintjobs. black + white skeleton paint plz.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3543 on: November 16, 2015, 05:05:24 pm »

Don't you guys love that the Bethesda games all share the same console commands (Hell, even the caps code is shittonof0sandf, you can use only f to shorten it up)? Because I do. It's fucking amazing.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: November 16, 2015, 05:08:28 pm »

Well the console commands would be the same when the engine is the same.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: November 16, 2015, 05:09:38 pm »

To be entirely honest, there's a lot of small things wrong in the game, or things that seem to be missing (dynamic events, complex faction relation and interaction, deeper RPG aspect).
A lot of details feel weird and could have had a bit more attention, like Ivefan listed. Even if you love playing it, like me, it gets to a point where it makes you sad. Then you get back to having a lot of fun just exploring and try your best to forget about it.
To me, it's extremely weird how they took many steps at the right directions while, at the same time, taking steps back in stuff that used to be praised.

There's no denying that, even though (again) I'm having a blast with the game, it feels like I'm playing Fallout with the Fallout RPG component minimized.
If I didn't love the setting, atmosphere, survival stuff and the series so much, I guess I'd be disappointed too. But I had set my expectations very low.

I just hope that for Fallout 5 (if that ever gets made), they seriously take all the lessons learned and apply it. They don't even need to brainstorm new ideas - just put together all the feedback and praise from FO3, NV and FO4, polish the systems, and that's it.
IMHO, it feels like they did like the guys from Egosoft with X:Rebirth - they tried a sort of reboot if you think about it (except Beth didn't reset the universe, and didn't completely fuck up and remove critical parts of their game). If they were just releasing a sequel, it wouldn't feel so weird to those who played FO3.

I'm not entirely sure why they'd do such a thing. Some people are hoping there will be a "New Vegas" equivalent for Fallout 4 by Obsidian, and that could bring better news.
If anyone ever confirms that, please let me know.  :)
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3546 on: November 16, 2015, 05:29:36 pm »

Well the console commands would be the same when the engine is the same.
Yeah, but some of those don't exactly have to, like the test zones and id's for certain items.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: November 16, 2015, 05:32:56 pm »

most complaints are like "but i wanted it to be like fallout 2, fallout 2 was perfect!!!"

with is relatively stupid, as fallout 1 and 2 themself where anything but perfect.
in fact, if they got released like that today, they would proably see a shitstorm of astonomic magnitude. not only was the graphic not up to the standards of the time, broken quests, logical errors in plot and dialoges,  areas that make the game crash if you enter them are nothing customers of today would accept. and i wont even mention the crimes they commited with the localisations.
so, lets face it. no fallout so far was perfect. they all where fun tho.at least, with fallout 4, the broken parts (imo the horrible building ui) is almost completely optional. and some even seem to enjoy that.

aaaanyway. most of us proably had enough of this discussion in 2008 when fallout 3 was released....

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: November 16, 2015, 05:49:51 pm »

I do think it's a shame they didn't add ammunition types and the full NV survival mode.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: November 16, 2015, 05:50:31 pm »

aaaanyway. most of us proably had enough of this discussion in 2008 when fallout 3 was released....

Agreed. I only posted that because I'm pretty sure I only mentioned all the things I liked up until now.

And I feel a lack of screenshots in this thread. I'm interested on what you guys are building.
Since I'm totally focused on making settlements 'functional', I haven't really built anything nice yet.
I usually wait until I get some resources, then I go around estabilishing supply links, plopping 16 beds, 16 mutfruits, 6 water pumps, some shops and scavanging stations, rocket, laser and heavy turrets.
Sometimes I just throw beds anywhere until I feel like building a house. But this guarantees I'll almost never have to go back to defend something. If that happens, I just plop moar turrets.
So my stuff is not screenshot material.  :P

But. MFW people say Fallout 4 is bad:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What I do with haters:

E: Does this look..familiar..to you?

Can't run; Can't hide

Fuck you too, Beth (it isn't shown on local map)

I seriously knew they would do this again, and I seriously wanted to find it!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 06:07:23 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: November 16, 2015, 05:51:36 pm »

Oh cool, a concrete orgy. The second best kind.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: November 16, 2015, 06:12:01 pm »

Haha, nice screenshots.

I can't write a proper thing because... I'm too busy playing Fallout 4...  But.
As someone who really enjoyed Fallout 2 and Tactics, and 3, and enjoyed NV but felt like it was straying from the series a little (though it was lore-tastic!)

I'm having a great time with Fallout 4.  Not far yet, but everything feels great.  Maybe I just love scavenging, and it's scratching that itch more generously than the previous games did.  But the style feels... pretty good.  I'm happy with this.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: November 16, 2015, 06:35:08 pm »

army of armors.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: November 16, 2015, 06:37:32 pm »

I keep accidentally locking this thread because the button is so close to the other projects button and touch screens are finicky.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: November 16, 2015, 06:56:40 pm »

I'm okay with having to run from normal enemies, but when an almost-dead enemy inexplicably turns into a fresh enemy it pisses me off.
I don't suppose there's any way to disable them, yet? Otherwise the game is great fun.

Personally I like 'em (or mainly the diablo-ish loot nestled within them), but thankfully there's already a mod that caters to the both of us:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/218/?

Just download the "No More Legendary Spawning" version. It suggests making your .ini read-only, but I haven't and it hasn't suddenly decided to stop loading the mod yet.
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 462