Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 241

Author Topic: The Infinite Heavens: More than one way to skin a cat.  (Read 335815 times)

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
Re: The Infinite Heavens: More than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #3510 on: April 11, 2017, 11:29:48 pm »

"Well, while you figure out your cover situation, I'm going to check out this tunnel a bit. You mind if I take a leg?"

Unless Mr. Bird objects, yank a femur off the carcass. Begin descending the stairs, cautiously probing the ground and walls ahead of me with the bone as I go.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: April 12, 2017, 12:25:40 am »

"Fine, I suppose expecting you to know everything is unreasonable. We'll do this: grab a variety of tree lengths, and we can construct a dwelling out of them later. Don't grab trees larger than a few meters or so, anything larger would be difficult to keep steady on top of the warbeast."

Lumber harvesting!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: April 12, 2017, 12:49:05 am »

"Oh, don't mind at all. Don't wander off too far, however."

Time for some bone-based art! Fashion a parasol out of the bones of this corpse (what was it a corpse of?), combining bones and tying them together with sinew! Don't be afraid to utilize my rather sharp beak, my definitely quite sharp wing blades and my incongruous saurian fingers at the end of my wings.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: April 12, 2017, 07:34:47 am »

Say:
I guess that's fair. I wish you didn't have a neck!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3514 on: April 13, 2017, 07:10:15 pm »

"Hey!  These trees aren't bad!  You should eat some too!"

Eat my fill.  Again, don't go deep.
Nom Nom Nom

This is lake. Only fishes live in lakes. Therefore those birds are fishes. Hunt some feathery fish and return to Xan.
[2]
You hop up and down and grab at the feathery fish, but can't manage to catch one.

Uh, "someone"? It's not limited vision, it's very damn good hearing. This someone is making sound, so I should be able to tell a little bit more about them than that they're "someone".

"Honestly, most of who I am you can tell by looking at me. With your eyes. I'm a glass sphere and a skull, I can fly, and I CAN YELL REALLY FUCKING LOUD. I'm lifeborn, I have no affiliation with any political group, I traveled with a group of lifeborn for awhile. Now will you fucking stop shooting at me? It's annoying."
Thats not how sonar works. Sonar is a rather complex thing where you can judge the shape of something judging by differences in the time it takes for it to return and distortions in the sound. Them yelling at you doesn't help you understand anything about them. Other than that they are over that-a-way.

"Glass ball. Proceed forward. Make no sudden moves. "

Say:
I guess that's fair. I wish you didn't have a neck!
[2]
You now lack a neck. Luckily you don't lack a head. Just the neck part. BUt you look really stupid and can't really look around without spinning in place like an idiot.

"Fine, I suppose expecting you to know everything is unreasonable. We'll do this: grab a variety of tree lengths, and we can construct a dwelling out of them later. Don't grab trees larger than a few meters or so, anything larger would be difficult to keep steady on top of the warbeast."

Lumber harvesting!
"As you wish."
The war beast sits down next to the forest and starts carefully uprooting trees and placing them in a pile at it's side. As it does this, the trees near the space where the tree was uprooted "flow" into the hole and take its place.

"Oh, don't mind at all. Don't wander off too far, however."

Time for some bone-based art! Fashion a parasol out of the bones of this corpse (what was it a corpse of?), combining bones and tying them together with sinew! Don't be afraid to utilize my rather sharp beak, my definitely quite sharp wing blades and my incongruous saurian fingers at the end of my wings.
You use up all the bones before Mr. Hyena can even get one, but you manage to make a really nice parasol.

"Well, while you figure out your cover situation, I'm going to check out this tunnel a bit. You mind if I take a leg?"

Unless Mr. Bird objects, yank a femur off the carcass. Begin descending the stairs, cautiously probing the ground and walls ahead of me with the bone as I go.
Unfortunately the bird stole all the bones.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: April 13, 2017, 08:18:01 pm »

I don't mean sonar, I mean what they sound like. I can tell more about someone that just that by their voice.
Lower to just above the ground. Move forward.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: April 13, 2017, 08:21:50 pm »

Say
This won't do. I wish we were more properly blended - a monkeycat king!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: April 13, 2017, 09:34:25 pm »

His belly full, Dave sat and watched the flowing trees as the warbeast did his duty.  It was almost calming, in a way; the sea still called to him.  "Wonder if we could sail on this tree lake?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: April 14, 2017, 03:37:07 am »

"Now this is what I call a fine parasol! Shall we test it, dear Hyenakles?"

Does the parasol open and close like an umbrella?

Furthermore, does it hold up against the sun?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: April 14, 2017, 12:44:48 pm »

His belly full, Dave sat and watched the flowing trees as the warbeast did his duty.  It was almost calming, in a way; the sea still called to him.  "Wonder if we could sail on this tree lake?"
"Judging by how deeply Ryan has gone in, I doubt it. This place shares some properties with water, and it likely has some creatures in it like most lakes do, but it is still a forest."

Does this harvesting seem to be decreasing the amount of trees in the 'lake'? Just observing for now. P
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: April 14, 2017, 02:47:29 pm »

Ryan wanders back to complain.

"Feather fishes are too hard to catch."
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: April 15, 2017, 01:05:03 pm »

"Sure."

Watch Mr. Bird, in case this test goes catastrophically wrong. Also test to see if my lion cloak holds up.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3522 on: April 17, 2017, 11:45:00 am »

I don't mean sonar, I mean what they sound like. I can tell more about someone that just that by their voice.
Lower to just above the ground. Move forward.

They sound male, fairly young, but also not entirely normal. Their voice is sort of modulated and echoey.

You move forward until you can see the people talking to you. They're...well they look to be about 50 to 60% robotic. And not clean, futurey androids either; More Frankenstein but if they supplemented the available body parts with industrial machinery.

Say
This won't do. I wish we were more properly blended - a monkeycat king!
[3]
You end up as siamese twins, conjoined at the back.

"Now this is what I call a fine parasol! Shall we test it, dear Hyenakles?"

Does the parasol open and close like an umbrella?

Furthermore, does it hold up against the sun?

It opens and closes but a quick try in the sun shows that it won't last more then a few minutes at best. The sun is extremely angry.

"Judging by how deeply Ryan has gone in, I doubt it. This place shares some properties with water, and it likely has some creatures in it like most lakes do, but it is still a forest."

Does this harvesting seem to be decreasing the amount of trees in the 'lake'? Just observing for now. P
Its difficult to say. You reason that its probably decreasing them but its an awful lot like going to a lake and taking a gallon of water out. Yeah, you decreased the amount in the lake but its rather difficult to see the effect when observing it as a whole.

"Sure."

Watch Mr. Bird, in case this test goes catastrophically wrong. Also test to see if my lion cloak holds up.
It, like the parasol, will provide protection, but not for long.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: April 17, 2017, 05:05:38 pm »

Alright, let me see if I have this straight: I have one foreleg, one hindleg, no neck, a monkey on my back, one cursed wish left, and a pocket full of sand. The team is scattered over four hells, and my only companion hates me, even more so than the rest of the team did.

"I wish we had wings, monkey."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: April 18, 2017, 03:50:48 am »

"I dare say this will have to be plan B, good chap. For now, let's see if what is in these caves is as terrible as the sun up in the sky."

Mr. Bird flaps his wings thoughtfully as he peers into the darkness.

"Actually, I have another idea. That light was clearly angry, dear Hyenakles. Maybe that's because anger creates light? What if we could, say, do a similar thing with our own thoughts? Happier ones, I'd imagine."

See if I can perhaps illuminate these tunnels with the power of positive thinking. If the sun is really angry, maybe happy thoughts will make for a nicer radiance? Invite Hyenakles to join me for extra faith in our success.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 12:26:24 pm by Harry Baldman »
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 241