Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Hopeless: Dispute Resolution (Mission 1)  (Read 2530 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hopeless: Dispute Resolution (Mission 1)
« on: June 26, 2015, 08:19:51 pm »

If you aren't on this mission, feel free to hang out in Port Hope.

The following characters are on this mission:

Spoiler: Party Roster (click to show/hide)

Following the map you were given, it takes the promised three days to reach the foothills leading to Teping Mine.  As you leave the port you pass through wide flat expanses of snow separated by fences, which in warmer times serve as fields for the local cabbage growers.  In one field you even see some hardy goats nibbling through the snow at what roots and provender they can find, a well-wrapped goatherd watching over them.  As you pass he touches a heavy club at his belt, as if that would ward you off.

As you journey on, it becomes clear that apart from the more gentle slopes of the actual Iron Coast, most of this region consists of mountains and valleys, and your map and eyes indicate a morass of them.  Conditions for travel are hardly ideal, either, but on the second day the skies are clear and you are able to see in the distant haze a single mountain rising above the rest of the peaks like a spire.  During the travel you do not over-exert yourselves, so the party's injuries from their arrival on the Coast have time to heal.

Teping Mine, from your map, is located half-way up one of the treacherous valleys that comprise this land.  You mostly stick to the cleared road through the lowlands, but as you get further and further from hope the road becomes a trail, and then starts snaking up through the mountainside.  You wonder how anyone would get iron down to the port from this isolated location, but you witness something that you had not really realised from the map - a long, snaking and frozen river runs through some of the valleys, including that of Teping Mine.  It runs an oblique route that would take about twice as long to travel as the path did, but it would be ideal for barging heavy cargo which did not have to be anywhere in a hurry.

As you cross along the cliff-like edge of the valley towards the distant speck of buildings that must comprise the mine, you encounter a blockage.  A heavy drift of snow and loose rocks has completely covered the pass ahead, rendering it near impossible to traverse.  You could potentially try and find another way around, but that would stretch out your journey considerably and the valley side is almost certainly too steep to climb down.  What will you do?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 03:24:08 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Hopeless: Dispute Resolution (Mission 1)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 08:38:55 pm »

Sonja approaches the rockslide and pokes at one with her foot experimentally.
Black lives matter.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 12:54:40 am »

Stop him/her from doing this.

"Stop! You fool! One kick and that thing could come crashing down on us!"

Add the man peeing on old people to the rage-inducing image.

Why does it still say that I have no mentalism spells?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 03:17:47 am »

Adding such a feature is trivial, but given the setting of an orphanage does threaten to break the 'continuity' of the mental image.  Nevertheless, you add the sensation of pissing on the elderly/being pissed on by a lunatic.

[Because errors.  Fixed.]
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 04:37:36 am »

"Well, we don't have any wagons or other such things. Maybe we can climb over?"

Would it be possible to climb over this unfortunate terrain and continue on our way?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 06:14:57 am »

"Well, we don't have any wagons or other such things. Maybe we can climb over?"

Would it be possible to climb over this unfortunate terrain and continue on our way?

Climbing over it would constitute a Survival check, and a difficult one.  Everybody would make one, but the 'total' result would have a bearing (e.g. if most make it, they carry the rest).  Alternately, you can place responsibility on one person to navigate the situation, effectively following their lead absolutely and the result depends entirely on their check.

Usually, detailed or ingenious plans get circumstance bonuses to the checks.  Very good ones don't call for a check, if it would make sense not to.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 07:40:22 am »

Sonja scowls at Egil.
"Don't call me a fool."
Black lives matter.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 08:09:15 am »

"Hey, wasn't me. It was one of those guys," says Egil at Sonja, pointing at the two lizards. "One of them, yes. The talkative one, specifically. I don't look forward to climbing this thing, but it might be our only option if we're going to get there any time soon."

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 08:34:07 am »

((Sorry, I meant.. ATHATH's character. I though that was Egil. :P))
Black lives matter.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 12:58:30 am »

Adding such a feature is trivial, but given the setting of an orphanage does threaten to break the 'continuity' of the mental image.  Nevertheless, you add the sensation of pissing on the elderly/being pissed on by a lunatic.

Er, the old people were, um, at the orphanage to adopt children (?).
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 02:50:21 pm »

Er, the old people were, um, at the orphanage to adopt children (?).

Sinimis:  An unexpected requirement of accurately creating the mental image is that you have to create it from all angles, including that of the perpetrator.  [11+3] This has the likely side effect of trapping you in the mental construct for a short time after casting a spell using the Rage element, although you may be able to hold it off until you are out of a crisis situation.

From your past education in Mentalism, you are aware that this is a common drawback with this kind of magic.  You have heard of forms of magic without costs and drawbacks, but nothing you've ever encountered yourself.

In any case, how would the party like to proceed?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 02:54:41 pm »

"Right! Enough screwing around. Let's climb over. It's dangerous, but we really have no better option."

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 01:44:40 am »

Mm. So my Rage spell is a variation on the standard rage spell? When trapped in the construct, can I avoid harming anything in the real world by remaining still and ignoring everything in the construct? What are some of the properties of kyrite?

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 09:58:39 am »

"I could lead us over."
Black lives matter.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 12:07:55 pm »

"I could lead us over."

"Lead the way!"

She climbs. We follow.
Pages: [1] 2 3