Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The fortress's situation is looking increasingly unsalvageable. What do?

Roll back to before Taupe's disastrous turn
Keep going and see what happens
Let it die

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 140

Author Topic: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)  (Read 382647 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- Cowering in Comfort [Players Wanted!]
« Reply #1185 on: January 19, 2016, 02:13:32 am »

It is a tad... worrying that this thread seems to be stagnating.

The apparent total lack of activity on chaotic skies' part is also worrying but I choose to have faith on that part.

Chalk it up to us using a now-heavily-obsolete version (even I will admit that the current version is largely superior to this one now that all of the major bugs and performance issues have been squashed), having a fortress situation that is unappealing at best to play through, and also a bunch of management/leadership/modding/etc. missteps on my part burning through this forums' considerable patience (and I should point out that CG+S is a ridiculously chill forum even for Bay 12) :V  I will see this sideshow through to the end, however, mark my fucking words.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- Cowering in Comfort [Players Wanted!]
« Reply #1186 on: January 19, 2016, 04:15:36 am »

It is a tad... worrying that this thread seems to be stagnating.

The apparent total lack of activity on chaotic skies' part is also worrying but I choose to have faith on that part.

Chalk it up to us using a now-heavily-obsolete version (even I will admit that the current version is largely superior to this one now that all of the major bugs and performance issues have been squashed), having a fortress situation that is unappealing at best to play through, and also a bunch of management/leadership/modding/etc. missteps on my part burning through this forums' considerable patience (and I should point out that CG+S is a ridiculously chill forum even for Bay 12) :V  I will see this sideshow through to the end, however, mark my fucking words.

Those aforementioned fucking words have been marked and I for one will also stand tall until the fortress crumbles, implodes, or is blown away as dust in the wind~

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: January 19, 2016, 04:05:58 pm »

Working on preventative measures so that the only way of death to His Gaudiness and a few others will be tantrums or starvation. Working on starvation as well, and I should be able to prevent most if not all tantrums.

Unless, of course, the Greater Spawn learn how to mine. Then we are well and truly fucked.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: January 20, 2016, 01:24:06 am »

Seems like you're making a relatively decent amount of progress, then~

Can you give a timeframe for a writeup, or is it a bit murky still?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: January 20, 2016, 02:15:41 am »

^ What they said.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: January 20, 2016, 08:51:08 am »

^ What they said.

Seconded
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: January 20, 2016, 03:23:40 pm »

It's a bit murky, I want to finish summer before I do a right up.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: January 20, 2016, 03:55:47 pm »

It's a bit murky, I want to finish summer before I do a right up.

At this point, I'd much rather you just do a short writeup with what you've gotten done so far, especially if it's taking a while for you to play (FPS issues and IRL issues and such). Micro-updates are better than no updates.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: January 20, 2016, 05:56:58 pm »

Alright, I'll work on that. Luckily, I have way too many screen shots, because auto-screenshots are a thing.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: January 20, 2016, 06:11:33 pm »

Alright, I'll work on that. Luckily, I have way too many screen shots, because auto-screenshots are a thing.

too many screen shots

Impossible.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: January 20, 2016, 09:15:34 pm »

I was taking screenshots every other second (literally) and had to end up deleting most of them, because they were either all duplicates or useless. I had too many screen shots.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: January 22, 2016, 03:30:09 am »

In any case, as of this post, chaotic skies has 72 hours to get up something or else I'm skipping him over and putting the save up for grabs. No more extensions, period. I feel really awful about this, since I really do believe that he's working on the writeup, but at the same time there's a certain point where I have to draw the line and say that enough's enough.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: January 22, 2016, 05:05:10 pm »

I've got like 75% of a smaller update done, hsould be able to edit it in in a few hours, currently working on a science project due an hour ago, after that I'm free for the weekend, and will get this thing done, if nothing else just so I'm not pissing you off anymore.

EDIT: Here's the update!

You see thick handwriting, in the familiar blue-black ink of a Dimple Cup.

Hematite, 213

I’ve been Overseer for a month now. I haven’t had much time to write because of it, so I’m just going to write for the entire month. Are you okay with that, Winston? Yeah, of course you are…

Anyway, when this all started, His Gaudiness called us all to the dining room (the one with the adamantine lever in the middle), and just closed his eyes, spun while counting to 17, and said whoever was directly behind him was the next Overseer. And guess who that was! Me, of course! Clueless old me, who can barely tell the difference between a gem and a plain old stone! Well, after this, I immediately decided that we needed another mason, and since I’ve always been better at cutting stone than gems anyway, I elected myself to be a new mason.

So the day goes on normally, we all eat, His Gaudiness occasionally complains about not having his left hand anymore, but is generally content. I go to bed last, as I’ve always been a bit of a...different dwarf, and I like being alone with myself sometimes.

Then, right in the middle of my dreams, I see them: Plans for an “Emergency Pod”, which is basically a small off-shoot of the fortress that has a bridge we can raise and lower from inside, locking out anything dangerous in the fort. It’s got a still, kitchen, and a small farm; basically just enough for two, maybe three. I plan on building a large amount, but at the moment I’ve just designated one, to see what problems we run into. Currently it appears our main problem is irrigating the farms; luckily, we only need to irrigate them once, so I can probably think of something.

Of course, right as the miners finish digging the prototype, His Gaudiness asks for one to be built, so I agree to build him one, and tell him it might take some amount of time, as we’re still ironing out the kinks. Although I’ve already designated him one; It’s setup to allow him to still have his royal quarters, but still includes space for another family of dwarves, and a sufficiently large farm and food storage area. After all, he is king; he gets the best, or at least that’s what’s supposed to happen. But in all the chaos of something similar to the SPIREGATE, I can only hope he gets to his Pod in time.

I remember the last guy saying something about completing the MOLE to me right after I was selected, but I don’t know where to begin with minecarts, and since I’d rather not anger him (he seems to be slightly insane), I’m just going to leave it for the next guy. If there is a next guy. We have this rule of no one may be Overseer twice (or maybe no one wants to actually be Overseer again, you never know.)

Anyway, otherwise I’m currently working on upgrading the Dining Room, but that’s going rather slowly. Stone Statues aren’t the easiest thing to make, and are rather heavy, so it may take days for the other dwarves to haul them into the Dining Room. I also want to add some bridges or floodgates to the fort in chokepoints, just in case something like SPIREGATE ever happens again. Maybe that way we won’t have the entire fort die, and can cordon off certain sections instead. I hate to think what will happen to anyone left inside, though.

Finally, I'm actually glad to have gotten that up. Not because I think this gets me off the hook (I'm not sure I'll stop messing around after my year's over on an alternate version of the save), but now I can see what people think!

Comments? Questions? Hatemail? Fanmail? OhmygodmyeyeswhatdidIjustreadit'ssohorrible-esque reactions?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 06:11:31 pm by chaotic skies »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: January 22, 2016, 06:07:02 pm »

I've got like 75% of a smaller update done, hsould be able to edit it in in a few hours, currently working on a science project due an hour ago, after that I'm free for the weekend, and will get this thing done, if nothing else just so I'm not pissing you off anymore.

You're not pissing me off at all; I'd honestly be happy to give you as much time as you need (this is literally just a silly diversion of mine that occupies maybe 30 minutes of my time each day -- I am losing close to nothing by giving you extensions), but I simply judge that it'd be better for the game itself at this point if I establish a hard time limit.

E: I probably should have had you take a few days to focus on catching up with schoolwork rather than expect you to work on that and the fort all at once, so my bad on that front.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 06:10:20 pm by Mr Frog »

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: January 22, 2016, 06:12:55 pm »

Nah, it's fine. I had a tooth pulled and was told to stay home because my entire face went numb and wouldn't come back for a couple hours, so I missed stuff, but now I've caught up, I've got the entire weekend ahead of me, and I've actually made some progress!

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 140