Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 159

Author Topic: Arms Race, OOC [Completed] Now with Arms Race III, against another forum!  (Read 220505 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, OOC Thread
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2015, 03:52:50 am »

Avalanches are only a problem if you don't know where you're standing. (Ak, you're firing the mortar while standing on an unstable snow shell, or firing it at an unstable snow shelf above you. Loud noise causing avalanches is a myth.) So, I'd shove that under Cold Weather Engineering.

In addition, avalanches are only a problem if you get really high. I doubt we're fighting in the snow, considering your troops aren't dying of frostbite, and your trains are capable of getting up there.

Another reason for effectivity is that we're firing against rock, not mud. Mud absorbs the shell, reducing the impact. Rock becomes deadly shrapnel.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 03:55:20 am by 10ebbor10 »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2015, 03:55:34 am »

Glorious Arstotzkans fire at snow shelves above cowrdly Moksburgian, encasing their effeminate bodies in ice!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2015, 03:57:04 am »

That ensuress the mines are unable to be taken though, and impedes movement through the area given the thick snow. a little counterproductive.

Furthermore, while there is cold weather engineering, I'd say that applies to the equipment, not the training of the troops.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2015, 04:05:18 am »

Glorious Arstotzkans fire at snow shelves above cowrdly Moksburgian, encasing their effeminate bodies in ice!
Basically this. Even if loud noises did make avalanches, the mortar's payload would cause more avalanches, making it worse for Moskurg.

That ensuress the mines are unable to be taken though, and impedes movement through the area given the thick snow. a little counterproductive.

Furthermore, while there is cold weather engineering, I'd say that applies to the equipment, not the training of the troops.
You're saying Arstotzkans aren't good at fighting in snow? Now you're just grasping at straws.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2015, 04:09:22 am »

Honestly, I'm quite certain these mountains simply don't have snow. It's never been mentioned, and the battle post mentions that the first Moskurg soldiers to encounter frost are those breaking through on the plains.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2015, 04:11:22 am »

Yeah. Either way, what I'm saying is that Arstotzkans aren't capable (Or more capable than anyone else) of fighting on mountains. And you'd still have to worry about rockslides too.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2015, 04:14:59 am »

Honestly, I'm quite certain these mountains simply don't have snow. It's never been mentioned, and the battle post mentions that the first Moskurg soldiers to encounter frost are those breaking through on the plains.
Actually, it only says that some Moskurg soldiers see their first frost, so that could mean that the Mountain guys have seen frost but no the Plains and Jungle guys.

Yeah. Either way, what I'm saying is that Arstotzkans aren't capable (Or more capable than anyone else) of fighting on mountains. And you'd still have to worry about rockslides too.
So you're saying we're just as capable as Moskurg, right? If so, we'd still win simply from having more and better equipment. Mountains are pretty cold so our equipment would still work well there, unlike the Plains or the Jungle where it's warmer.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2015, 04:20:18 am »

Most of the fighting areas aren't big avalanche hazards. Avalanches generally aren't a big threat or tactical value, except in that one skirmish where Konstantin the Bear buried an entire Moskurg squad. Cold weather engineering DOES affect soldier training, however, what matters more in the mountains is their Patient attribute.

Here's some tentative resource rules:

Each area must be completely controlled, except for the mountains, where the resources are located (relatively) close to the base on either side.

Desert: 2 oil, 1 ore
Mountains: 2 ore, 1 each side
Jungle: 1 ore, 1 oil
Plains: 1 ore, 1 oil
Taiga: 1 oil, 2 ore

There is a catch! Transport capacity. Oil and ore need to be moved back to the capitol for refining. The Moskurg updated trains can carry a total of 4 resources (eg 2 oil and 2 ore, or 3 oil and 1 ore). The Arstotzkan trains carry only 3, but of course there's room for upgrades. After that, upgrades will be available scarcely going forward.

I'm debating whether or not this system sucks still.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2015, 03:32:41 pm »

PTW

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2015, 05:10:31 pm »

I have a question which might come to affect the difficulty of building new weapons:

A number of semiautomatic, magazine-fed pistols saw use as early as 1897, with some like the M1911 pistol in use today. Why is it that it took until 1936 for the M1 Garand to become the first standard-issue semiautomatic rifle? Even the advanced German army had mostly bolt-action rifles and a limited availability of semiautomatic rifles in WWII.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2015, 05:16:51 pm »

Great depression killed of any attempt to modernize weaponry. Without money, new designs where not introduced. That explains post WW-1. Also, no war, no real point to innovate.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 05:22:12 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2015, 05:48:39 pm »

The Mexican army started to issue semiautomatic rifles in 1910
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2015, 06:03:33 pm »

Only in extremely limited numbers (400). They turned out to be very susceptible to mud and low quality ammunition.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2015, 06:51:48 pm »

I have a question which might come to affect the difficulty of building new weapons:

A number of semiautomatic, magazine-fed pistols saw use as early as 1897, with some like the M1911 pistol in use today. Why is it that it took until 1936 for the M1 Garand to become the first standard-issue semiautomatic rifle? Even the advanced German army had mostly bolt-action rifles and a limited availability of semiautomatic rifles in WWII.
Squad vs. squad, the Garand didn't offer US rifle sections a huge advantage over armies equipped with bolt-actions, and mostly everyone was, during that war. The rate of fire, when trying to be accurate, is actually mostly comparable (shoot, then spend half a second reacquiring; the bolt only adds moments onto that). If the rifle gave the Americans an advantage, it would've been when they wanted to put down withering fire, since you could hammer off a bunch of rounds without needing to worry terribly about where they went.

Most leaders were scared that giving their men guns that cycled automatically would cause them to waste all their ammo in the first five minutes of a battle, so even though the technology was very readily available and could be made to work well (it's not hard to turn a bolt-action into a semi-auto once it's already got a magazine well), military authorities at the time were very skeptical of the idea.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2015, 07:52:26 pm »

Its like detachable magazines. The existed since before the turn of the century (see the mexicans again) but because high command was afraid that people would loose them they issued rifles with permanent magazines instead.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 159