Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 159

Author Topic: Arms Race, OOC [Completed] Now with Arms Race III, against another forum!  (Read 220399 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, OOC Thread
« Reply #585 on: August 03, 2015, 08:03:20 am »

the one problem i have with these games is that they turn from silly fun to serious business and salt inevitably

* LordSlowpoke shrugs

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: August 03, 2015, 08:09:07 am »

well, considering that more than half of the players  ( plus the GM) has little idea of historical weapons, maybe we should drop this particular argument. the muzzle velocity one is still legit, since it is inherent in a recoiless rifle, but it seems it is addressed.

I think we should change topic?

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: August 03, 2015, 08:11:32 am »

Yes, let's change the subject to the superiority of Arstotzkan weather! As everybody knows, our clouds are far stronker, and can, without a doubt, stop filthy Moskurg planes in their tracks!
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: August 03, 2015, 08:20:59 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On a side note, I think there's an issue with the cost system. Basically, no matter how many low cost systems you design, you always have enough ore.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 08:38:07 am by 10ebbor10 »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: August 03, 2015, 08:54:54 am »

Whatever you say, sire.  I wanted a spigot mortar.  But apparently a single-shot infantry weapon capable of defeating light armor at close range is asking too much.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 08:59:16 am by Devastator »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: August 03, 2015, 12:49:43 pm »

Theres a simple solution. Design better shells.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 03, 2015, 02:08:56 pm »

Alright, guys, the Recoilless Rifle is about as effective as I think it could be for a first attempt in the 1920's. There are certainly other man-portable anti-armor solutions that might be more effective in general or have different drawbacks, but they probably don't take the form of a Recoilless Rifle. A RR is different (but related) to rocket launcher and different from a spigot mortar. It helped in the desert and jungle and got you ground in the mountains. If you're salty about your RR being not good enough, I don't know what to say you.

So, I think the RR is justified enough that it can stay in my game, and it's not underpowered at all. The AC18 is definitely fine, and although having a belt-fed APIB might be pretty anachronistic (I couldn't find a good source) it's really otherwise not unlike real weapons of its time. Also if you're curious, yes, being on an airplane does inherently improve a weapon's cooling. If you hate the other side's weapons, steal/sabotage them.

Regarding the cost system, you're generally manufacturing a total number of low cost (or whatever price tier) items to equip the whole army. In general, I'm assuming each side has an equal number of soldiers even if I also said they have been suffering more casualties in the past- it's just game balance logic. This would be relevant if EG one army had Very Expensive tanks and planes, and one army had Expensive tanks and Very Expensive planes. The second army would field more of their Very Expensive planes than the other army. We mostly haven't had this scenario come up though. Also, I strictly refuse to so much as give an estimate for total number of soldiers/tanks/planes fielded, it'll set a precedent to which I'll have to balance everything else.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 02:10:28 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 03, 2015, 02:14:58 pm »

The problem with the cost mechanic is this.

I design a tank. It is Very expensive. I revise the tank. I now have doubled the amount of tanks.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: August 03, 2015, 02:18:17 pm »

The second army would field more of their Very Expensive planes than the other army. We mostly haven't had this scenario come up though. Also, I strictly refuse to so much as give an estimate for total number of soldiers/tanks/planes fielded, it'll set a precedent to which I'll have to balance everything else.

Wait, you mean Tank? Or does having a cheap something mean you get more of the expensive something else because you don't spend as much ressurces on the first one?

Also, the RR you described was more like the oversized, 1910's "Two gun soldered back to back" than like a rocket launcher. There is a reason no one is using weapons on that principle anymore and they never saw deployment outside one very specific area (plane-based Anti-Submarine warfare): they sucks. Being recoilless is not advantage when you need a base to support the gun that can handle the recoil anyway, and they weight twice as much for the same effect as a normal gun.

It'd be hilarious to see Moksburg plane equipped with cannons though. :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 03, 2015, 02:28:14 pm »

I design a tank. It is Very expensive. I revise the tank. I now have doubled the amount of tanks.
You do not. That is exactly the opposite of how I said it worked when we hammered out these rules early in the game. If you have the Tank 1 and then revise it into the Tank 1A, then you replace a portion of Tank 1's (usually half, or all if the 1A is better in every way) with the Tank 1A.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: August 03, 2015, 02:30:08 pm »

I think 10ebbor10 was talking about revising a tank to be cheaper.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: August 03, 2015, 02:58:53 pm »

I think 10ebbor10 was talking about revising a tank to be cheaper.
In that case... yeah, that's how it works. You're able to manufacture a lot more of the cheaper tanks.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 03, 2015, 03:55:26 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

[100% used a reference for this, but nevertheless done by hand.]
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: August 03, 2015, 03:56:52 pm »

I'm trying really hard to belittle you so Dirty Moksburg doesn't get its credit, but I can't. That's some really nice pic Iituem!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 03, 2015, 04:10:15 pm »

nice picture indeed.

here is an AS-DB-HF-23
Spoiler: diving (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: level flight (click to show/hide)

not textured because I am still wrestling with blender. I'll post something at least marginally better later.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 159