Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 159

Author Topic: Arms Race, OOC [Completed] Now with Arms Race III, against another forum!  (Read 220431 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, OOC Thread
« Reply #1275 on: August 15, 2015, 10:35:28 am »

The use of immature animals and/or humans (babies, puppies, kittens, etc.) in battle is prohited

Look I only proposed kitten guided missiles in one other thread!
Stuff like these should include the testing grounds or experimental fields. :v

That said: I am very intrigued by this thread [also Kot, your avatars are all awesome cats. I really hope to learn how to draw in very simple moves like you. Much inspire, this thread is.]

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: August 15, 2015, 12:00:32 pm »

Did we vote on Motorsport? I'll submit Tiger-Polo.

Tl;dr: Motorcycle Buzkashi with a dead tiger carcass.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 12:02:35 pm by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1277 on: August 15, 2015, 12:27:48 pm »

I will be hearing arguments (not votes) for A and B options, from both sides, and of course Kot and 10ebbor10 in particular.
I'm for B. This makes the gun have a direct counter (or rather counters, as slat armor, spaced armor and even sloped armor can be used as such), and I would be kinda salty if we had (do we? If we do, this is the best time to change it, as the problem has been already brought up) something like that. Also, I'm not really sure that HEAT would change the thing a whole lot, after all, AP from Breaker doesn't seem to have trouble penetrating us, and I'm not sure that ~4cm HEAT rounds would be much better than APHE, maybe only at long distances.

EDIT:
Also, regarding the war crime thing, would the law work backwards? If so, Moskurg should pay for Fyodor Billotzic execution by tigers.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 12:31:05 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: August 15, 2015, 12:34:03 pm »

Should be noted that Moksburg already got shaped charge (which aren't exactly the same as HEAT, but very close). So deciding that the Hippo was using shaped charge all along wouldn't be game-changing.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1279 on: August 15, 2015, 12:45:19 pm »

Should be noted that Moksburg already got shaped charge (which aren't exactly the same as HEAT, but very close). So deciding that the Hippo was using shaped charge all along wouldn't be game-changing.
Quote from: Worstpedia
The common term in military terminology for shaped charge warheads is high explosive anti-tank (HEAT).
It IS HEAT.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: August 15, 2015, 12:48:05 pm »

Sensei has explitedly said that it will improve Moskurg anti-armor performance significantly.

This would improve moskurg anti-armor performance considerably.

Speaking of which, I find the entire B option kind of flawed

>Nerf the AP, but explain previous performance by giving it moderately effective HEAT rounds.

So far so good.

>On the other hand, these HEAT rounds would be available for Breaker guns and possibly SPATs, as a matter of consistency. This would improve moskurg anti-armor performance considerably.

Wait a moment. Didn't we just add the HEAT to explain past performance, and hence be consistent with past turns?

And thus, would adding a significant bonus to Moskurg Breaker guns not once again break that consistency, by causing past guns to have been worse than they should have been?

Hence, my option C proposal. (Rename APHE to HEAT, no performance changes).

Advantages :

- Consistent with past and future performance of all weaponry
- Consistent with expected performance of all weaponry
- Resolves the ambiguity currently present, where in-game APHE (AP charges with explosive on the back to improve penetration) refers to something entirely different than those IRL. (AP shells with HE inside to improve damage)
- Does not punish Arztotska for the audacity to speak up.
- Does not retroactively damage Moskurg

Disadvantages :

- None

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: August 15, 2015, 12:50:23 pm »

I'm under the impression that HEAT involve a metal layer inside the shaped charge to punch through the armor.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: August 15, 2015, 12:55:52 pm »

Disadvantages: Rewards Arstotzka for being salty about a game (Speaking up is fine. Several pages of whining about it is not)

>The Final Word on Recoilless Rifles

Argument C: For all point and purposes, the Moskurgian APHE (which has no similarity to real life APHE) acts as a primitive HEAT warhead though it is not described as such. (The way it is described would generally only succeed in shooting shrapnel in the face of your own troops). Simply rename that the primitive HEAT, no need to change performance.
I'd hazard the real option C is frost giants going around smacking Arstotzka for being salty, given that there's only able to be arguements for either options A or B

Anyway, I can stand for either option, though B offers more consistency between RL and the game (And I'm not saying this just because our tanks will get more dangerous thanks to that as well, no siree >.>). Though given that slat armour isn't particularly effective against cannon shots given the fuze is at the back of the round, not the front.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1283 on: August 15, 2015, 01:03:21 pm »

This would improve moskurg anti-armor performance considerably.
Would it though? HEAT isin't some kind of wonder warhead, AP and APHE are considerably better at actual penetration and damage usually (and Breaker guns have no trouble doing that apparently) the HEAT just doesn't rely on muzzle velocity so much and don't lose penetration capability over distance, it relies on size of charge more, and Breaker caliber is smaller than Hippo and Rhino. The only true change would be Breaker cannon, as it's ~9cm big artillery gun.
I'm under the impression that HEAT involve a metal layer inside the shaped charge to punch through the armor.
So does shaped charge, usually.
Disadvantages: Rewards Arstotzka for being salty about a game (Speaking up is fine. Several pages of whining about it is not)
We wouldn't whine for several pages if we weren't ignored, insulted (it's fine when it's all a joke for both sides) and threatened (like, even now) for bringing up a problem.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: August 15, 2015, 01:04:40 pm »

The thing is though is that it isn't a problem.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1285 on: August 15, 2015, 01:08:27 pm »

The thing is though is that it isn't a problem.
It is, considering the whole game is at least mildly realistic and suddenly magic weapons pop up.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: August 15, 2015, 01:09:02 pm »

Keyword being mildly.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1287 on: August 15, 2015, 01:13:00 pm »

Keyword being mildly.
Pre-WWII recoiless guns penetrating medium armor with APHE aren't mildly realistic, they are not realistic at all, as they defy the laws of physics.
Your idea of powered exoskeleton that is going on right now in your thread is better, even if it's like at least 60 or rather 80 years ahead.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: August 15, 2015, 01:20:11 pm »

a backwards island in the middle of nowhere fielding tanks in 1915 is realistic?

both sides not running out of manpower after 20 years of brutally slaughtering one another is realistic?

i can go on

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1289 on: August 15, 2015, 01:23:31 pm »

a backwards island in the middle of nowhere fielding tanks in 1915 is realistic?

both sides not running out of manpower after 20 years of brutally slaughtering one another is realistic?

i can go on
Fielding tanks doesn't break laws of physics, and while not running out of manpower may, it's for mutual fun of both sides.
One side having a magic weapon that the other can at best suck on isin't.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 159