Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 159

Author Topic: Arms Race, OOC [Completed] Now with Arms Race III, against another forum!  (Read 220455 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Arms Race, OOC Thread is back again!
« Reply #1710 on: August 27, 2015, 06:28:47 am »

Their design is faster, more maneuverable and can fly higher than our fighter.
I am not saying our fighter flies higher, as it lacks enclosed cabin and is generally outdated as shit, but they proably can't even reach half the maximum altitude of our bomber.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: August 27, 2015, 06:31:54 am »

That is both conjecture and exaggeration. Even though your bomber has a higher altitude, it only has a dorsal gun (I assume it was meant to be ventral?) we can just fly underneath it and shoot up.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: August 27, 2015, 06:51:32 am »

I am not saying our fighter flies higher, as it lacks enclosed cabin and is generally outdated as shit, but they proably can't even reach half the maximum altitude of our bomber.

The thing is, it didn't even win the skies before the bomber existed.  New fighter that outclasses opponents fighters with equal numbers?  Air-to-air back to even.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: August 27, 2015, 07:11:35 am »

Christ this argument is off-putting.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: August 27, 2015, 07:15:12 am »

BIG +1

It is only the game with a random chance and GM's subjectivism. Focus on the great story not on "winnining"
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1715 on: August 27, 2015, 07:16:17 am »

That is both conjecture and exaggeration. Even though your bomber has a higher altitude, it only has a dorsal gun (I assume it was meant to be ventral?) we can just fly underneath it and shoot up.
Sure. The problem is that even if your plane is theoretically capable (as Airacobra was) of getting to the same alttitude as our bomber, it will simply be unable to catch up with it. And flying underneath and shooting something requires you to raise your nose, which will slow it down even more (of course, that is implying it will be able to get to that level and close enough, firing from few km away isin't something that's practically possible).
BIG +1

It is only the game with a random chance and GM's subjectivism. Focus on the great story not on "winnining"
Hey, it's not like it's Arstotzkans who suddenly said they will stop playing because Moskurg is winning.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: August 27, 2015, 07:20:32 am »

Well if the game compensates complexity in a more useful way we would opt for turbos anyway. Sadly it looks like that a turbocharger is equivalent to 2 extra resources, which means for every weapon Moskurg will field Arstotzka can field something slightly better with one more shiny tech.

This is not a good recipe for story. Rather its a recipe for salt production.

Also aren't superchargers used in aircraft engines instead of turbos? You tune the supercharger for a particular range of RPM, at lower mechanical loss.

The thing is, it didn't even win the skies before the bomber existed.  New fighter that outclasses opponents fighters with equal numbers?  Air-to-air back to even.
The Dive fighter thingy is basically BS. One revise action, you suddenly get a shiny, usable fighter, and we exhausted 2 designs and 2+ revisions to catch up.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:24:43 am by evilcherry »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: August 27, 2015, 10:09:14 am »

We got a shiny, useable fighter which is both more expensive and less capable.

But yeah, the point where technologically more advanced designs tend to cost more resources is quite problematic.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: August 27, 2015, 10:14:19 am »

We got a shiny, useable fighter which is both more expensive and less capable.

Err.. which one would that be?  I don't think you've been behind in the air race since you made your fighter-bomber eight years ago.  Right now you have a fighter of equal cost that's less capable, but winning anyway.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 10:16:21 am by Devastator »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: August 27, 2015, 11:33:53 am »

actually, air to air engagements are stated to be to your advantage. However, flak shells help stopping you from dominating completely and our dive bombers are more capable of hitting stuff than your bombers, so he considers the effects on the ground the same ( even with flak, less of our planes can safely fly. However when they do, they work better than your so it ends even).
That was before the bomber however.  But I think the general picture is the same, except that our bomber can escape your fighters. ( your fighter likely has a better service ceiling than our, but without any kind of compressor ( supercharger, turbocharger) at high altitude it is going to lose a LOT of power.)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: August 27, 2015, 01:58:25 pm »

I'm a little concerned by the quantity of salt in the air from both sides. I would like to say that Turbo chargers do not cost 2 ore. Aside from that, I'll leave you to figuring things out, for the most part.

For now, hurry up designs. Both threads look like an unending argument still, and this game's going to slow to a crawl if it's still going in three weeks. We need to keep it moving in case Moskurg turns it around and has to fight all the way back across Forenia. ;)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, OOC
« Reply #1721 on: August 27, 2015, 02:02:55 pm »

For that matter, can we get a final word on the nuke?

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: August 27, 2015, 02:10:09 pm »

There is no new arguments from Moskurg.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: August 27, 2015, 02:15:19 pm »

For that matter, can we get a final word on the nuke?
No.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: August 27, 2015, 03:35:31 pm »

I must say I was surprised that you didn't get air superiority from the Yellowjacket, and that we progressed so much over the last turn.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 159