Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 152889 times)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1926 Revision
« Reply #1545 on: August 05, 2015, 09:47:12 pm »

Light armor is different then no armor, in fact it is a specific category laid out by the host.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: August 05, 2015, 10:36:53 pm »

I kinda assumed it was supposed to be something along the lines of this.

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: August 05, 2015, 10:50:02 pm »

Light armor is different then no armor, in fact it is a specific category laid out by the host.
Keep in mind that 0 armor is still armor and can stop stuff like 9mm pistol rounds.
Except the front armour isn't classified as even Light armour. It's classified as Thin armour, aka level 1 armour. If everything else had 0 armour, it could be unreliably pierced by enemy .30 cal bullets. The problem is that it doesn't even have that. It's explicitly stated to be open air, meaning any kind of bullet can hit the guys operating the thing.

I kinda assumed it was supposed to be something along the lines of this.
AS-MAT26-50
 Light tracked, low silhouette vehicle

AS-MAT26-50:Moves on a simply 8-cylinder motor and treads.
It's a vehicle. Tank-like, I think.

Why did we put a 1924 on it for AA instead of an AC18? They're using aluminium armour which I'm guessing gives them Thin armour (armour level 1) at least. The 1924 uses 7.62mm which can't reliably pierce level 0 armour without AP and AP bullets are less accurate than regular ones. This makes it less than optimal for shooting far away, fast-moving targets like airplanes. An AA-capable AC18 would've shredded them to bits.

Glory to Arstotzka.

EDIT:
Hmm... Can we order our 19C pilots to play kamikadze on enemy tanks? :) this WILL create problems for their armor. And our morale.
-1. No. Never.

EDIT2: Since it doesn't have fuel injection or turbo, it's not even fast. It's a slow, literally unarmoured (except for a -bit- in the front) tank with a narrow field of fire and a gun the equivalent of our MBT. Why did anyone think this was a good idea?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 12:35:29 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: August 06, 2015, 01:14:18 am »

It's cheap and we can field a whole hell of a lot of them, especially compared to their tanks. Sure, they might not be that great once we fix our tank engines, but they can be easily retrofitted to carry one of our 80mms as an SPG.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: August 06, 2015, 01:33:31 am »

It's cheap and we can field a whole hell of a lot of them, especially compared to their tanks.
Remember that cheap stuff isn't great for everything. For small arms and planes it's great, but not for things like artillery pieces and maybe tanks.

Sure, they might not be that great once we fix our tank engines, but they can be easily retrofitted to carry one of our 80mms as an SPG.
Unlikely. Our Artillery A costs 2 Ore on its own and it's bigger than our tank cannon. Upgrading our anti-tank vehicle to carry that artillery piece might make it cost 1 more Ore. That's even assuming we can change all the configurations to act as an SPG in a Revision phase. It certainly won't be worth taking up an entire Design phase for it.

So assuming we manage to hold the line in the Plains this year, what should we do next year? Assault rifles to prevent trench assaults and help our boys in the Jungle? Rocket launchers? Body armour? A radio? Just so long as it's not a god damn boat I'm fine with it.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: August 06, 2015, 02:07:41 am »

I was thinking if we have no luck again stealing a radio we'll have to goddamn make our own, so yeah radio.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: August 06, 2015, 02:12:57 am »

Can we stop writing spying stuff in the open thread?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: August 06, 2015, 02:19:12 am »

I agree, we are nowhere close to losing right now.  I'm not sure people have ever actually reversed the course of a war with suicide tactics.

I agree in retrospect that the redesign idea was a bad one compared to the tank destroyer.

I vote for revising the engine.

Yeah though, I mean it looks like we are dealing with moskurg's last gasps here.  They built a kickass tank, gained land in one spot (pushed us out of their HOMELAND), lost land elsewhere, and we are about to immediately roll out a tank destroyer and a better tank.  They are pretty fucked unless they come up with something really good.

Dos an MG-34 count? :P. they got a pretty good GPMG coming this turn, so that might give us some problems

I don't play the game, only watch it from time to time, but isn't this kinda meta, and against the rules? One could argue you mostly already decided what to do with the turn, but even then it seems unfair to see what they are designing during the same year's revision phase. Just a thought. What do you think sensei?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: August 06, 2015, 02:30:07 am »

I don't play the game, only watch it from time to time, but isn't this kinda meta, and against the rules? One could argue you mostly already decided what to do with the turn, but even then it seems unfair to see what they are designing during the same year's revision phase. Just a thought. What do you think sensei?
I'm not Sensei but it's a bullshit practice and it needs to stop.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: August 06, 2015, 02:32:01 am »

Yeah, metagaming is BAD. And if anyone says that he can read the other thread and don't let it influence his decisions - it is a lie
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: August 06, 2015, 02:34:25 am »

I should clarify that airplanes are not, generally, armored. Certainly the ones built by both nations right now are not armored; they have a thin skin of wood, canvas or aluminum which primarily serves an aerodynamic purpose, not a structural one. Also, unless I mis-typed, I believe I gave the AS-MAT26-50 some Light RHA armor in the front (and front only), meaning you should be safe from Horsekillers unless they get really close, or get around you.

Engine Refinements: Your engineers finally manage to perfect a fuel-recycling, constant-flow fuel injection system. This offers increased power, mostly at full throttle, making it suitable for planes and it will help with the top speed of tanks. Most importantly, it's not Expensive this time. The T-25 is ready to be deployed with this system, and its existing turbo.

There you go! Obviously the biggest benefit is that your HF-24's and T-25's both go down in price.

Oh yeah, and guys, don't go planning your design/revision based on stuff in the enemy thread that hasn't seen the battlefield yet. I don't know if it's only a folk legend, but I've heard that Frost Giants lie sleeping deep in the tundra, waiting for the day they will awaken and devour the armies of metagamers.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: August 06, 2015, 02:39:25 am »

already posted about it earlier, but I agree. bad and it should stop. And even if by some miracle the one doing the spying has such a compartimentalized mind that it doesn't influence his decisions, posting in the thread exposes the information to all us normal humans without weird mental superpowers.

Thankfully the revision choice for this year was so obvious that it wasn't an issue, but it could taint our revision phase if it happened at another time.

pre edit: frost giants are also a danger I want to avoid.

Yay, we can field tanks!

edit: by the way: if they don't design anything new in the air, I think our next turn we could try our hand with an heavy artillery piece. Depending on the status in the other 2 battlefields, of course.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 02:44:34 am by andrea »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1926 Production
« Reply #1557 on: August 06, 2015, 02:44:25 am »

So the tank is very expensive before expense credit, right?

Then still spend expense credit on T-25. And don't forget to suggest 10ebbor10s tactical suggestions to our generals

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: August 06, 2015, 02:49:15 am »

UR, I should note that their tank is also very expensive ( due to resources alone, so no chance of them reducing cost).

this means we are even matched in tanks ( designs are similar enough), while we have an awful lot of anti tank weapons around ( our tank destroyer). Shouldn't that be enough to holdthe plains? we could save the expense credit to match their possible credit last turn. Their advance was fueled by armor, and we just negated that.

edit: tryrar, curse you. I can't stop thinking of what they have.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: August 06, 2015, 03:00:38 am »

The enemy build an artillery unit last turn, so that's a problem. They also stole our mortar. That's going to be problematic.

Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 217