Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1684144 times)

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #4635 on: April 17, 2017, 06:44:42 pm »

Are you trying to create the lizardmen?

Not sure which you mean. I'm trying to create an internally diverse race composed of three pseudo-reptilian subspecies.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: April 17, 2017, 06:51:40 pm »

Are you trying to create the lizardmen?

Not sure which you mean. I'm trying to create an internally diverse race composed of three pseudo-reptilian subspecies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lizardmen_(Warhammer)

---

I'm not sure you can start with three different species. You can change syncretic so you start with a specific species you want but not sure you can increase that number.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4637 on: April 17, 2017, 07:18:13 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lizardmen_(Warhammer)

Lore-wise, I'm using reptiles as a rough base but trying to add alien changes as I can. Hence the "pseudo-reptilian" definition: a human would call them such because they share some characteristics with Earth reptiles, plus a superficial resemblance (if you ignore stuff like their six limbs), without really being space lizards. I also obviously avoid copy-pasting entire human cultures, like Warhammer and so much of fantasy/sci-fi does when coming up with fictional species. But most of this lore exceeds the confines of Stellaris.

So I dug around the files, and it seems the Syncretic Evolution civic doesn't do anything by itself. It rather fulfills a condition which at the game start triggers an event which provides the species in question 4 pops of strong, presentient proles. Except for humans, who specifically get Neo-Chimps for minions, it'd seem the servants' other characteristics are randomly generated. So duplicating this mechanic and tweaking some stuff I could produce a unique civic which triggers an event which generates pops of two other precisely defined species within the same nation.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: April 18, 2017, 11:12:58 am »

I just played my first game. I love a lot of the changes but the game is still incredibly dull once you hit the late game. The mega structures (outside the habitat) seemed to come at a point where they didn't matter anymore. I didn't even feel like continuing my game long enough to build one.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: April 18, 2017, 11:54:16 am »

Huh, you'd think that'd work like CKII where holding planets would slowly add warscore over time. But according to the wiki that's not the case.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4640 on: April 18, 2017, 12:32:32 pm »

I had a defensive pact with a empire and that empire was DoW'ed by a militaristic Forgotten Empire. The Forgotten Empire targeted only my systems and I couldn't even surrender. It was in the beginning of the game, I hadn't even cruisers yet.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: April 18, 2017, 12:37:52 pm »

I had a defensive pact with a empire and that empire was DoW'ed by a militaristic Forgotten Empire. The Forgotten Empire targeted only my systems and I couldn't even surrender. It was in the beginning of the game, I hadn't even cruisers yet.
Don't settle next to militaristic fallen empires. Or build outposts near them. Or do anything around them.

If you started the game next to one, just create a new game.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: April 18, 2017, 01:43:42 pm »

I don't know if this works anymore, but a few versions ago I had a hilarious and thoroughly enjoyable game where I did settle next to an angry Fallen Empire, who proceeded to declare war on me.

I then promptly surrendered - which means they killed my leader and humiliated me - but lost absolutely nothing else. When they declared war again, some X years later, I did the same. It became a comfortable routine, my leaders governing with full understanding they would be offered up to the dark gods of the Fallen Empire at the end of their 'term'.

I eventually crushed the FE and enslaved the lot of them, renaming each system as insultingly as possible. It was possibly the sweetest vengeance I have ever experienced.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: April 18, 2017, 01:58:06 pm »

I do wish you could become the "pet" of a Fallen Empire. Like, not just the awakened ones, the ones you start next to.

Xenophobes (what you meant when you said militarist) should want to make battle-thralls (Ur-Quan style) out of nearby xenophobic/militarist/authoritarian empires (allowing you to settle the juicy worlds that are near to the empire, but requiring you to occasionally go to war with other empires also in the vicinity that aren't thralls, cleansing their worlds) that they use as buffer states to keep the more vile races away.

Xenophilic ones should should want to have as many empires as possible under their "guidance" (read: some sort of pseudo-alliance/federation where the empires have automatic migration treaties together to go with the "xenophilia" thing, at least if your ethics allow it. If they do, you can't not be part of the migration treaty, you accept everyone even if they're All Bad Traits)

Materialist should want to keep an eye on your research, while offering some scraps of help along the way when they see you stumbling around in the dark like an idiot (so like a (x)% research boost while outright preventing you from researching dangerous tech)

On another note: I'd love to see Fallen Empire use the three ascension paths, as a subset of them. Materialist = Synthetic Ascension, obv. Same as Psionics = Spiritualist. Not sure if Xenophilic would really fit as the biological one, though... The obvious fit is also materialist, and Xenophobe should want to stay as Perfect as they've always been (i.e. no chance of being ascended)

Ah! I got it. Xeno-(x) should stay natural as befits their "We Are Perfection" and "All Life is Special" stances, Spiritualist and Materialist should use their obvious ones, and they should allow some FEs to spawn as Hive Minds who may also be biologically ascended. Perfect fit!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: April 18, 2017, 03:29:16 pm »

Fallen Empires sort of use ascension paths already. I've noticed that Xenophobes use Genewarrior armies while Spiritualists use PSI Armies etc, which are unlocked by the corresponding ascension path. This implies they are the remnants of an ascended species or an ascension gone wrong.

Speaking of which, I hope synthetic and biological ascension paths get stuff added like PSI have now. Not similar stuff, Shroud is fine being unique in nature to PSI, but just something to add to the feeling of risks and rewards.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: April 18, 2017, 03:45:43 pm »

I don't have Utopia (or a computer that can run it right now :I) but I do know that uploaded pops share the AI uprising-risk trait of Synthetic. While that feels wrong (You shouldn't be susceptable to an AI uprising when you *are* the AI) if there aren't any checks in the game for that, technically speaking, there is a risk to synthetic ascension.

Though yeah, bio doesn't seem to have one.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4646 on: April 18, 2017, 07:06:09 pm »

I wonder how you could make an unscrupulous space capitalist species more interesting - for example, how awesome would it be to allow your pops to immigrate to other planets but act as your pops still? So a pop of your guys inside their space station served as your trading post pop. Could even just nick the merchant republic trading post mechanics from ck2 to run it all. All in all, it's not very satisfying bullying other planets with energy credits, especially since energy credits are altogether rather worthless at the end of the day. It's exceedingly difficult for example, to embark on non-violent hostile takeovers or monopolizations of Zro - how cool would it be to be an intergalactic cartel illegally peddling satramene gas upon unsuspecting xenos customers?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: April 18, 2017, 07:16:14 pm »

I don't have Utopia (or a computer that can run it right now :I) but I do know that uploaded pops share the AI uprising-risk trait of Synthetic. While that feels wrong (You shouldn't be susceptable to an AI uprising when you *are* the AI) if there aren't any checks in the game for that, technically speaking, there is a risk to synthetic ascension.

Though yeah, bio doesn't seem to have one.
I dunno. The official wiki claims otherwise.
Note on Synthetic Ascension and AI Rebellion: Right now Synthetic ascension creates a species with the Synthetic trait. AI rebellion checks for 'specific' robotic species, that is Droids and generic Synths. Both Robots and Uploaded Synths are immune to joining AI Rebellions.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: April 18, 2017, 08:06:33 pm »

Ironic, cuz it was the wiki where I was getting my info. It was a couple days ago though.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4649 on: April 20, 2017, 01:20:05 pm »

So there I was, building my fleet up, fighting the Enigmatic Observers FE on my western border while skillfully persuading the Doctrinal Enforcer AE on my eastern border to look the other way.

Just as I got up to 100k, locked and ready to go to take a few stabs at the FE, who had resigned himself to staying inside his border with one of my planets occupied and remained fully content to repeatedly ask for white peace, the Unbidden shows up on the other side of the galaxy.

Way to fuck up the timing, guys!  >:(
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 632