Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1687209 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #4305 on: February 22, 2017, 04:25:01 pm »

The rumor I heard is that it's just a stream server update. Nothing game related, just the networking stuff.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4306 on: February 23, 2017, 08:13:42 am »

New gov stuff sounds so much better than the cookie cutter system they have now. It affords a lot more creativity in customizing the empire.

Hive minds sound... uh... bland. They put a bunch of working making a politics system and then made a type of empire that doesn't use any of the new features and ignores happiness. I guess I'll have to try it out to see if it's worthwhile.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4307 on: February 23, 2017, 08:16:52 am »

Well there is some level of customisability for hive minds, given that they have access to their own civic traits.

But lets be honest, a patch/DLC with internal focuses and trouble at it's core, and you're surprised that a hive-mind would have none of them? :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4308 on: February 23, 2017, 08:20:44 am »

imo even hives should have some internal troubles. Its not unprecedented in science fiction to have a hive schism into two factions and fight for dominance, etc. It could even be an event chain similar to AI rebellion, "5 Drones on Gygax Prime have ceased obeying your psionic directive, send a science ship to investigate" and have it evolve into something like a new hive-level consciousness have arisen spontaneously due to the distance from the homeworld and it is attempting to subvert local drones, etc.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4309 on: February 23, 2017, 08:22:48 am »

I like the idea of it, I just think their implementation is a bit boring. But as I said I'll have to try it to really know, they do have some hive specific civics.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4310 on: February 23, 2017, 08:36:23 am »

I'm sad that hiveminds are required to be unable to sustain other pops in their empire. I wanted to play a benevolent type of hivemind that, although probably with some stumbling blocks on first contact, manages to come to view other sentients not as just drones but as people just like itself, and then would be perfectly happy with them living in and working in their empire, so long as they were good subjects.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4311 on: February 23, 2017, 08:40:31 am »

Technically that is possible, so long as you're fine with them being self-governing AKA vassals rather than being direct citizens.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4312 on: February 23, 2017, 08:41:25 am »

That's not really the same thing though.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4313 on: February 23, 2017, 08:43:19 am »

Or you can spread the joy of the hive mind and assimilate them into the collective whole.  But again, that's also not really the same thing. 

I also think it a bit of a shame that they can't follow two of the three ascension paths.  I can kind of understand the psionics from a fluff perspective, but being locked out from synthetic improvement seems a touch odd to me.  It seems very prescriptivist to insist they must be pure-biological in such-and-such a way, in a game that could easily encourage creativity and diversity in alien design by instead expanding those lists of pick-and-match features. 

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4314 on: February 23, 2017, 08:44:05 am »

I'm sad that hiveminds are required to be unable to sustain other pops in their empire. I wanted to play a benevolent type of hivemind that, although probably with some stumbling blocks on first contact, manages to come to view other sentients not as just drones but as people just like itself, and then would be perfectly happy with them living in and working in their empire, so long as they were good subjects.
I'm sure it will be modded in at some point to let non-hive pops coexist. Maybe as a civic?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4315 on: February 23, 2017, 11:24:37 am »

Yeah, as fun as the hive mind sounds, I wish they'd have allowed it to be a bit more free form. That being said, I imagine it needs quite a lot to counter-balance not having any internal troubles.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4316 on: February 23, 2017, 11:27:01 am »

The counter balancing is that they have no pop happiness, so they miss out on the big production bonuses from that, and they have no factions which in the update are your primary means of generating influence.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4317 on: February 23, 2017, 12:29:19 pm »

It's kinda annoying that Syncretic Evolution forces the other pop to be dumb and strong instead of letting you pick.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4318 on: February 23, 2017, 12:31:52 pm »

It's kinda annoying that Syncretic Evolution forces the other pop to be dumb and strong instead of letting you pick.
Probably it will be modded in a week or two to have more options. You can always change it via genemodding too, if you want.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4319 on: February 23, 2017, 01:47:08 pm »

Presumably the smart species would always be the one in charge. Although two equally smart species would be an interesting play....

Technically that is possible, so long as you're fine with them being self-governing AKA vassals rather than being direct citizens.

Honestly, that actually makes sense. A hive mind has no real government structure, just itself. A non-connected species that is ruled by the hive will need to have its own government structure under the hive, even if its people were completely integrated in the hive civilization. And without access to the hive's own network, participating in the economy directly would be very tough. Enclaves only make sense at that point.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 632