Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: 23rd century botony! (A wild sequel appears!)  (Read 21025 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: 23rd century capitalism! (Who are you? Who, who, who, who?)
« Reply #165 on: October 13, 2015, 12:57:30 pm »

You awaken in a spacious bedroom you've never seen before.  You are in the upper floors of the city, where the richest citizens live.  The bed you lie on is the greatest object you have felt in your life.  If sex was a bed it would be this one.  Shakily you get to your feet and look out over the splendor of Boulder, visible from the upper levels.  From up here all the misery of the world is invisible, all you can see are the glimmering lights of the elegant exterior of the city.

"What am I doing here?" you wonder aloud to yourself.
"Well it's your condo." comes the reply of a nearby voice.  "I'm not surprised you don't remember it though, you bought the place six months ago but never set foot inside.  You need a social life, Tyler."

"General!" you reply in surprise, quickly grabbing a blanket to make an impromptu toga.
"It's Colonel, actually.  Boulder doesn't need two generals in the National Guard now that the war with Provo is done.  Shepherd... seemed right for the job." Carter has the decorum to look away from your partially naked body but you have the suspicion she stole a couple glances.
"Oh yeah..." you remember something about that happening topside while you were fighting in Oldtown.  You had more pressing concerns at the time.  Still do actually.  "Colonel, I was in the middle of a delicate negotiation..."
"You were, Tyler.  I countermanded your orders.  You should put some pants on and come into the living room.  The place looks great."

You quickly dress and limp into the living room as fast as you can for an explanation.  "What did you do, Colonel?"
"Well, I went to check on you while you were lying in the hospital.  You were getting kinda crazy there, Jeff. You were talking about gassing the entire population of Oldtown and strapping bombs to people.  It was back and forth between the lucid and the crazy."
"That wasn't crazy, that was-"
"Jeff, you kept going on about putting a bomb and microphones in a critically injured man.  What do you think the Syndicate doctors were going to say when they gave him a medical scan?"
"...hm."
"Those drugs did a number on you, kid.  Look, you just need to take it easy for a few days here.  The war with Provo is done, the Syndicate cut a deal which you got the credit for and you have done pretty well for yourself here.  Sit your ass down.  Enjoy the view.  I know I never gave you what I promised eight years ago but hey Tyler, you came out pretty well.  You dont need to keep fighting forever."

It is a hell of a view

You sit down on the couch and find a beer in your hand.  You first beer in... eight months.  You drink deeply and it occurs to you...

Jedi) Carter has saved you from yourself.  Victory against the Syndicate wasn't what was important.  What was important was taking care of the people you were loyal to.  The last prisoners from the 17th were released over a year ago.  You have won the war.  What's more important is that you now win the peace and work to protect your city in the dangerous world that exists now that the United States has fragmented.
Sith) Carter has betrayed you.  She has interfered with your plans because she can't stand that you are a successful leader while she was a failure.  You can't let a lesser person hold you back.  You need to keep building up Tyler Private Security until you rule this city.
Investor) Carter doesn't understand.  The fighting was just a means to an ends, not your final goal.  You aren't going to stop at being a petty mercenary.  This city was built by men and women of talent and ambition, in a different age when people still worked on a mighty scale.  You have the talent to build something equally magnificent and change this world in a way that no mere soldier could.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 01:11:19 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
Re: 23rd century capitalism! (Who do you want to be, Tyler?)
« Reply #166 on: October 13, 2015, 02:18:03 pm »

"Colonel. The fighting may be over and I may live in a very nice hotel. *sips beer* but I am not done.

I got great curse of ambition now and I want to expand the company into the entire country. Then the entire world over to bring back real civilazation and real progress. Just look around at this crap.

Were inside a dome and I know that somewhere out their there are people that can rebuild the earth itself to destroy this nuclear radiation killing the planet. Then we can live like we were meant to..sorry. I think the meds have me by the balls still. Forget it, I'll just kill whoever the Government feels needs it. So is the Syndicate leadership willing to meet with me in private? I want to talk to Netan about the bombing. Make sure were square for now on."

Lets just make amends and build up our power little by little. Who knows the Syndicate could be a partner in that arena. Basically option 1) JEDI.

Not really Jedi but pretty okay I guess.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 02:26:08 pm by 3man75 »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 13, 2015, 02:46:41 pm »

A hotel is a place where people rent rooms on an ongoing basis from the building owner, who owns the individual rooms.  A condo is a home or commercial parcel purchased by the tenant from the building or neighborhood owner.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 13, 2015, 03:14:59 pm »

Megalomaniac Idealist Crusader) "Stop fighting? I haven't even begun. Boulder is still a shithole. And if you go beyond that you find Raiders and Bandits and god knows what irradiated crap those wars spawned. And then look at that corrupt piece of crap we call a government. Hell you and Norris both made bids for President by starting a Military Junta. No offense there, but seriously when did we go from Democratic Superpower to Third World Shithole? We have Nuclear Cruzers but can't feed our own population propably? What kind of crapsack shitplace is this? I'll tell you one thing, i'll only ever be done fighting and working when this entire country stops being a irradiated, bandit-infested, wartorn piece of crap and goes back to being what the history books told about it. And then i will march on to Europe and do the same and to Asia and to whatever other places looks as abominable as this one. And then and only then maybe i'll retire."

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 13, 2015, 03:36:21 pm »

Doesn't really address the if the means to that change is using military power to support others, using military power to dominate or moving away from military power towards other forms of capitalist endeavor.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 13, 2015, 04:58:47 pm »

well both of them of course...who says a mix isnt possible?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 13, 2015, 05:59:16 pm »

jedi, of course. Win the peace, protect those loyal to us. Carter may have overridden us, but, she's proved her worht as a commander before, and we've been lucky to work under her.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 13, 2015, 06:35:32 pm »

jedi, of course. Win the peace, protect those loyal to us. Carter may have overridden us, but, she's proved her worht as a commander before, and we've been lucky to work under her.

This seems sensible. Perpetuating the politically motivated murders is, after all, not a good way to go about stopping the politically motivated murders. Barring reconquest by the Feds, winning the peace is the way to power for us.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 22, 2015, 08:01:32 am »

Jedi)
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 22, 2015, 09:05:17 am »

Investor) Wasn't this our main intention in the first place?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 22, 2015, 12:14:33 pm »

It was once upon a time but the date kept getting pushed further and further off.  Now the story has progressed to the end of the prologue and I'm wondering how the heck I can proceed given how the nature of the protagonist has drifted from what this was originally supposed to be about.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 22, 2015, 01:12:50 pm »

It was once upon a time but the date kept getting pushed further and further off.  Now the story has progressed to the end of the prologue and I'm wondering how the heck I can proceed given how the nature of the protagonist has drifted from what this was originally supposed to be about.

Your fault for letting ideas fester for so long. Plus the prologue gave us way too many opportunities.

I'll switch to: "Okay fine Colonel. So what next for you and me? An Boulder for that matter? We still have a food shortage for the lower cities and words won't feed them forever.

Do we go to war now like we did in the past?"

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 22, 2015, 01:45:12 pm »

Yeah it's not your fault, I created choices that I didn't want taken and didn't use my power as narrator to guide things like I could of.  But at this point I'm thinking I might need to just leave well enough alone.  The story feels kinda done to me even though Tyler still has a future in front of him.  What the story really turned into was an exploration of the world, how the military turned to warlordism, how the areas turned against each other and the reasons why people see these warlords as a necessary evil.

I have thoughts about how the story would continue to develop.  The mountain men aren't just going to sit under their mountain forever.  The US government factions still exist out in the east and there's a whole issue of the Indian global primacy I haven't touched on.  But I wonder if it should be Tylers story anymore.  It might just make more sense to start with a new character from the Mountain Men or Grand Island or Mumbai or Annapolis.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 23rd century capitalism! (Curtains, lacey, gently wafting Curtains)
« Reply #178 on: October 22, 2015, 03:29:43 pm »

I would argue now is the time for Tyler to start his quest as the owner of the most powerful private military of this world. That an attempt to set something right along the way but that's just me.

I think everyone should vote on whether they want to be the most powerful Private military, start a new character that has simply watched all this go on, or just something else. um hum, I charge the GM respectully to call le vote.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: 23rd century capitalism! (Curtains, lacey, gently wafting Curtains)
« Reply #179 on: October 22, 2015, 06:42:27 pm »

Oh he's nowhere near the owner of the strongest private military in the world.  He has the most elite mercenary band in the city but it's hardly the only one.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14