Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 164

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 198309 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #300 on: November 24, 2015, 06:45:03 pm »

Not actually unprovoked, entirely. Above and beyond the (questionable, depending on how much trust you're willing to give a state actor with a consistent history of doing exactly what they're being accused of, heh*) airspace violations, turkey had apparently issued warnings they'd respond to attempts to further destabilize the area that the plane shot down had just bombed. Even ignoring the contradictory stories, the parallel of turkey responding to attacks against a related minority outside their border is... not unnoticed.

*Which, to be fair, is the best target to pull a spin on. Even if the plane didn't violate turkish airspace, saying they did is something a lot of people are going to buy specifically because russia has made something of a habit of doing just that.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 06:49:08 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 24, 2015, 07:24:42 pm »

in b4 Turkey annexes the Crimea to protect the Turkish speaking minority there from freezing to death due to no electricity.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 24, 2015, 07:50:16 pm »

Everyone violates everyone else's airspace.  It's just what you do when you have an airforce.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 24, 2015, 07:59:26 pm »

To be fair, though, the status of the Aegean skies are hotly disputed between Turkey and Greece, and at times militantly so.  A lot of those interceptions, as compiled by a Greek party (the University of Thessaly), would be considered by the Turks as flying through international airspace because Turkey refuses to acknowledge the Greek extension of territorial waters from 6 to 10 nautical miles in the Aegean Sea, and by extension the expansion of Greek airspace*.  Whatever the disputes are between Syria and Turkey, and myriad those certainly are, one of the few things that isn't debated is the position of the border in Hatay.  In other words, if you want to compare the situation, it'd be better to compare with another mutually acknowledged border such as, say, Armenia. 

EDIT: Added a bit on the Turkey-Greece dispute in an aside with the abbr tag, since it's interesting but not directly relevant.  Basically, though, if the two weren't allies in NATO, I wouldn't be surprised if we were talking about a brief Aegean Conflict in the 80s or very early 90s to go with the invasion of Cyprus in the 70s; that's how bad the situation felt there. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 08:15:10 pm by Culise »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 24, 2015, 08:15:22 pm »

Did a search and found that territorial airspace extends to 12 nautical miles, "contiguous zone" (whatever that is) airspace to 24 nautical miles, and international airspace starts at 24 nautical miles according to international law. Apparently the 12 nautical miles is what matters here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_waters

Then searched for the aegean dispute, which sent me to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aegean_dispute
Apparently Turkey has prevented Greece from claiming the 12 nautical mile range in international law by threatening them with war. Not terribly surprising since Turkey hates Greece.

Spoiler: Wikipedia quote (click to show/hide)

P.S. Help! I keep accidentally typing "km" when I mean to type "nautical miles."
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 24, 2015, 08:41:41 pm »

Don't forget, however, that the 12-nautical mile limit only applied after the 1982 UNCLOS convention.  Turkey never signed this in the first place, and naturally does not feel they should be obliged to accept the consequences of these conventions in the absence of such an accession, just as a British citizen in France isn't subject to American law.  Arguably, this would bear greater weight if Turkey hadn't eagerly accepted the 12-nautical mile limit everywhere outside the Aegean, but...

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 24, 2015, 09:58:28 pm »

EDIT: Added a bit on the Turkey-Greece dispute in an aside with the abbr tag, since it's interesting but not directly relevant.  Basically, though, if the two weren't allies in NATO, I wouldn't be surprised if we were talking about a brief Aegean Conflict in the 80s or very early 90s to go with the invasion of Cyprus in the 70s; that's how bad the situation felt there. 
The kebab/feta dispute is millenia old.
Everyone violates everyone else's airspace.  It's just what you do when you have an airforce.
It's about legality, really.

A state has a right to say "fuck off or I'll shoot you", and then shoot you if you don't fuck off. That's just common practice. They can choose not to exercise their right to tell you to fuck off, but it still exists regardless of whether they exercise it.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 24, 2015, 10:07:06 pm »

So is the Anglo-French one.  Time alone isn't a good enough reason.  This one's pride and economics coming together in a mix of perverse incentives.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 24, 2015, 10:30:38 pm »

So is the Anglo-French one.  Time alone isn't a good enough reason.  This one's pride and economics coming together in a mix of perverse incentives.
kebab-feta dispute is not only older then the anglo-french one, it's older then england and france! On a more serious note, there is a lot more anger between the nations, quite a lot of difference culturally, and at least one genocide. Time isn't the reason for the conflict. Time is reason for a lack of it. Time, for sure, is why the Anglo-french relationship has gotten better. The Greco-Turkish dispute would fade, but it keeps getting renewed in blood.

But anyway, unrelated. Russia has only symbolically retaliated against Turkey thus far. NATO seems keen to not get involved. Washington has basically backed Turkey's version of events.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 24, 2015, 10:49:11 pm »

Wouldn't you? Putin has earned a reputation for lying constantly now. "We don't have any soldiers in Ukraine. That was a Ukrainian missile. Or maybe it was a UFO, who can say? Don't worry, we're going to go bomb ISIS now!"
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 24, 2015, 10:49:31 pm »

Yeah, I've now seen two digital flight maps from both countries that are basically calling the other a liar. And how is anyone supposed to affirm whether anyone's radar data was altered?

Personally, with all the Russian flybys in the last couple of years I'm more willing to believe a Russian plane was in Turkish airspace than not.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see if Russia keeps buzzing people after this
Even the avatars expire eventually.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 24, 2015, 10:55:09 pm »

Yeah, I've now seen two digital flight maps from both countries that are basically calling the other a liar. And how is anyone supposed to affirm whether anyone's radar data was altered?

Personally, with all the Russian flybys in the last couple of years I'm more willing to believe a Russian plane was in Turkish airspace than not.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see if Russia keeps buzzing people after this

Meh, it'll be business as usual, he knows that we aren't going to shoot down his planes (though I can imagine Trump ordering the air force to do that). What WILL be interesting though is if he keeps having his planes violate Turkish airspace or not.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 11:00:27 pm by smjjames »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 24, 2015, 11:20:41 pm »

I dunno, if a Russian plane flew into American airspace and ignored 10 communications to turn back, I'm pretty sure we'd light him up too. So far they haven't actually crossed into American airspace that I can remember, just coming exceptionally close on excursions.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 24, 2015, 11:44:11 pm »

in b4 Turkey annexes the Crimea to protect the Turkish speaking minority there from freezing to death due to no electricity.
I'm surprised nobody has 'suggested' that they got shot down from Zaroshchenskoe.

(Well, somewhere, out there, I bet that's been said.  It's too good a parody for only me to have considered.)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 25, 2015, 01:24:20 am »

Quote from: Facebook comment on a news article
After shooting down a Russian plane, Turkey is going to be in hot water just in time for Thanksgiving.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 164