Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 164

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 198399 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #315 on: November 25, 2015, 02:25:35 am »

I dunno, if a Russian plane flew into American airspace and ignored 10 communications to turn back, I'm pretty sure we'd light him up too. So far they haven't actually crossed into American airspace that I can remember, just coming exceptionally close on excursions.

The communications occured when the plane was still inside Syrian Air Space, even according to Turkey. Even if we take the Turkish version of the story, the plane spent less than 20 seconds inside Turkish airspace, crossing a 3km-wide band of territory that is jutting inside Syria.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 25, 2015, 04:20:18 am »

An American inquiry shows that the Russian plane was over Syria when it was shot down, but also that before that, it did indeed violate Turkish airspace very briefly.
So no, Washington does not "back Turkey's version of events" like Misko27 wrote, since Turkey claims the plane was shot over Turkish territory.
They do back Turkey in it's principal right to defend their airspace against intrusion, but that's nothing new, that's just saying "yeah, we agree with international law just like everyone else does"

In further news, apparently one pilot did not get shot, as claimed by the Turkmens. One pilot is reported to be rescued by the Syrian army, and has been returned to a Russian base in Syria now. Not sure if I believe that, since Russia has a tendency of downplaying / outright denying military losses.

Do not forget the Russian fallen soldier's mothers threatened with prison / being declared enemies of the state.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 04:23:27 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 25, 2015, 04:27:43 am »

So no, Washington does not "back Turkey's version of events" like Misko27 wrote, since Turkey claims the plane was shot over Turkish territory.

Did it? IIRC, the Turkish phrasing was something like "after that plane violated our airspace, our F-16 engaged and shot it down", without mentioning where exactly it was shot down. Given the even according to the Turks, the plane only spent seconds over Turkish air space, it's unlikely they shot it over their own territory.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 25, 2015, 04:30:13 am »

Did it? IIRC, the Turkish phrasing was something like "after that plane violated our airspace, our F-16 engaged and shot it down", without mentioning where exactly it was shot down. Given the even according to the Turks, the plane only spent seconds over Turkish air space, it's unlikely they shot it over their own territory.
Erdogan himself stated today that "the plane was shot down while over Turkey's airspace, and went down in Syria. Some pieces of the plane crashed into Turkey, wounding two civilians"
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 25, 2015, 04:52:17 am »

Also, UR:
I can bet that Russia will pretend that nothing happened
It appears that you've, in fact, lost your bet.

I was talking more about about bombing something in Turkey because Russia is plain scared of Turkish military might even without NATO allies.

But yep I expected Putin to disappear  from TV for a week or so, I was wrong, Russia reacted like a hysterical woman once again. Banning tourism, starting anti-Turkish propaganda campaign "finding something"in Turkish chickens and banning its import and so on. I find it is the right kind reaction for a world power :D

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 25, 2015, 05:37:53 am »

I think its entirely possible that the plane was shot at while it was still in Turkish airspace. The shooter aircraft was in immediate vicinity(the Turks claim 5 km); it could have taken 4-5 seconds for them to confirm the violation and the operator(s) to make the decision to fire and some more seconds to give the order. The missile may have been airborne for 5-7 of those 17 seconds of airspace violation, if not more, even if it hit the target right over the border or just across it. An AIM-120 will travel downrange about 3½ to 4 km during the first 7 seconds of its flight ie. while it still accelerates.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 25, 2015, 06:52:31 am »

Also, UR:
I can bet that Russia will pretend that nothing happened
It appears that you've, in fact, lost your bet.

I was talking more about about bombing something in Turkey because Russia is plain scared of Turkish military might even without NATO allies.

But yep I expected Putin to disappear  from TV for a week or so, I was wrong, Russia reacted like a hysterical woman once again. Banning tourism, starting anti-Turkish propaganda campaign "finding something"in Turkish chickens and banning its import and so on. I find it is the right kind reaction for a world power :D
So I'm interested: what reaction would you expect from a "world power" for an incident like that? Doing nothing and pretending it didn't happen?
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 25, 2015, 07:09:06 am »

Aggressive and totalitarian world power: bomb the shit out of the one who dared to do that.

Other kinds of world power.: Diplomatic moves and international courts not "lets find some decease in Turkish poultry and ban its imports and suggest our tourism operators to have no business with Turkey"
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 25, 2015, 07:38:10 am »

Aggressive and totalitarian world power: bomb the shit out of the one who dared to do that.
That's insane. World powers don't become world powers by suiciding themselves. USA and USSR were world powers, and they didn't go to a shooting war with each other ever during the most tense moments of Cold War like Cuban Crisis.

Other kinds of world power.: Diplomatic moves and international courts not "lets find some decease in Turkish poultry and ban its imports and suggest our tourism operators to have no business with Turkey"
That just doesn't work. At all. International courts and UN resolutions can be ignored at will by anyone who is willing to do so; for instance, Israel does that. And a country which is willing to shoot at the other country's military would be certainly willing to ignore any international resolutions coming from it's opponent.

So your two proposed "solutions" are either suicidal or don't actually do anything meaningful. Thank you for answering, though. It certainly made it clear how a modern Ukrainian nationalist thinks like!
._.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 25, 2015, 10:04:04 am »

*golf claps*

Even the avatars expire eventually.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 25, 2015, 10:23:30 am »

So your two proposed "solutions" are either suicidal or don't actually do anything meaningful. Thank you for answering, though. It certainly made it clear how a modern Ukrainian nationalist thinks like!
Cut him some slack, he's got a modern and reasonable world superpower starting shooting wars and taking chunks out of his eastern border.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 25, 2015, 10:45:26 am »

So, one of pilot survived, the other is dead, and the other pilot from one of the chopper is also dead, that is for sure now. The areas where the plain crashed and where the rebels where is getting some heavy bombardment from russia, near turkish border. They will be also sending s 400 as additional defence to syria.

Mevlut Cavusoglu (Turkey's current Minister of Foreign Affairs)  offer apology for downing of russian plane

Also there was a big explosion in ankara, but its still not sure what happened (probably not related to this).

The pilot said that he didnt get any warning from turkey and that he was sure that he was flying over syrian territory. And actually it is possible that both sides are telling the truth, but there was a technical problem in the locator/radar.

Still it is obvious that turkey did plan to shoot at russian at some point and wanted to get any type of excuse. Its probably because of recent refinery that was more directly connected to turkey and  the heavy bombardment of the rebels that are very close to them.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 11:04:17 am by miljan »
Make love not war

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 25, 2015, 10:53:32 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 25, 2015, 11:04:28 am »

Russia is neither especially modern nor a superpower.

Cut him some slack, he's got a modern and reasonable world superpower starting shooting wars and taking chunks out of his eastern border.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 25, 2015, 11:05:57 am »

Russia is neither especially modern nor a superpower.

Well its more modern than most of the cournites (including most countries in europe) and is considered a regional power (with second strongest military in the world). There is unfortunately  only one supper power and that is USA
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 11:08:12 am by miljan »
Make love not war
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 164