Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 163

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 197014 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #795 on: July 23, 2016, 07:11:14 pm »

Graphene aircruisers inbound?
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: July 24, 2016, 10:34:33 am »

IOC didn't ban Russia from Rio. Love the modern world :D
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: July 24, 2016, 10:38:20 am »

At least you guys get a chance to beat Russia in the Olympics.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: July 24, 2016, 10:39:33 am »

Indeed, they decided that only those athletes who have ever been caught will be banned, all other Russian athletes are welcome. It's not completely clear yet what they'll do with the meldonium cases.

I think it's a good decision, I personally thought that banning all athletes regardless of doping guilt to punish the Russian government for meddling with doping tests does not fit well with the spirit of the Olympics.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: July 24, 2016, 10:42:10 am »

Theres already been a few (well, at least one that I know of, and not Russian) athletes who dropped out or were forced to drop out due to the melodinum. At least I think it was melodinum.

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meldonium Apparently some Russian athletes are affected, the Australian one is the only one I knew of. Edit2: Maria Sharapova is Russian.....
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 10:46:03 am by smjjames »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: July 24, 2016, 10:50:03 am »

Meldonium is a relatively minor thing

Russia secret service switching urine samples of Russian athletes in Sochi 2014 is a grand scale state supported cheating in sport. The only adequate punishment for that is banning Russia from all sport competitions for few years. But money...
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: July 24, 2016, 11:08:28 am »

Not that surprising, given that Trump, candidate for the leader of the #1 country in the world, is being backed by Russian money.

our hands are everywhere
._.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: July 24, 2016, 11:36:46 am »

OOPS WRONG THREAD, MOVED
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 12:18:07 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: July 25, 2016, 01:49:52 am »

Not that surprising, given that Trump, candidate for the leader of the #1 country in the world, is being backed by Russian money.

our hands are everywhere
I think the Western world is entering (or has already entered) another Red Scare - all these accusations of being a Putin agent towards inconvenient political movements look and sound very similar to accusations of being a secret communist fellow traveller/useful idiot/whatever from the 1950s. The Cold War is truly back, and so is paranoia.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: July 25, 2016, 01:54:03 am »

Most of those "inconvenient movements" are lead by people who openly admit they admire Putin and want to be allies with him. That's not paranoia. That's just...true.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: July 28, 2016, 09:55:49 am »

China and Russia announced that they will organize a joint training operation in the South Chinese Sea.
Defense spokesman Yang Yujun of the Chinese defense forces says it is nescessary to arm themselves against maritime military threat, but adds that the excercise is not targeted at any specific third party.

I wonder if the US has the balls to 'violate' international free Chinese restricted airspace during the training.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: July 28, 2016, 03:45:36 pm »

This is the third year in a row they've done that, it's apparently a response to the Obama administration's 'pivot to Asia' from around that time. Gives the Chinese plenty of opportunity to make a show of force to the other South Sea nations they're so fond of walking on, too.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: July 28, 2016, 07:51:59 pm »

You know, I really wish the nations of earth were of the same strength to stop all of this sort of thing. Acting like an asshole to your neighbours when you're not stronger than them is generally not a good idea.

It's fine, you just need to move to a little island called Utopia to see that system in action.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: July 28, 2016, 11:22:26 pm »

You know, I really wish the nations of earth were of the same strength to stop all of this sort of thing. Acting like an asshole to your neighbours when you're not stronger than them is generally not a good idea.
And yet it's still done plenty of times.

If they were all of the same strength, by whatever strange arbitrary metric that we would have to use, it would not last in equilibrium very quickly. Balance is hard to maintain. A few regional superpowers making sure they stay on top is quite stable, on the other hand.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: July 30, 2016, 06:06:15 am »

I think the Western world is entering (or has already entered) another Red Scare - all these accusations of being a Putin agent towards inconvenient political movements look and sound very similar to accusations of being a secret communist fellow traveller/useful idiot/whatever from the 1950s. The Cold War is truly back, and so is paranoia.

In a way, I guess. But if Europe and NATO stick together I believe it wont take nearly as much time, Russia will once again fall to its own impossibility. This could be a good opportunity to build cooperation and trust within EU. Where Europe really needs to improve is information warfare.

Related video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNybllbrrXY

edit: regarding the video, I bet many now wish we hadn't broken up the 200 T-72s in 1994.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 06:10:16 am by Erkki »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 163