Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 163

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 197001 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #1140 on: December 01, 2016, 09:14:24 am »

The closest I've ever come to ballet is the Black Swan and Billy Elliot. Never seen an opera, unless musicals county, in which case I still haven't seen anyone live (that I can remember).
Let me direct you at Gilbert and Sullivan's operettas, if done decently well. There'll almost certainly be some Am-Dram group near you preparing to stage one or other of them. If nothing else, you'll be humming the tunes. (You almost certainly already know the accompaniment to The Major-General's Song (Pirates Of Penzance), so often used for other things.)  The words in such a patter-song can be a bit obtuse (late Victorian topicality doesn't travel seemlessly through the years, and then there's social-geography to worry about, but it is particularly traditional for I Have A Little List (Mikado) to be given a contemporary satirical verse or three) but the plots are explained mostly through the intervening spoken lines.

Or look up something from the golden age of Hollywood, like Seven Brides For Seven Brothers. Very accessible, very colourful, some interesting gender politics (enough to argue about) and mass brawling to music!

And if you enjoyed The Producers (the acclaimed 1968 film of a disasterous attempt to stage a disasterous musical), there's The Producer's (the acclaimed 2001 stage musical of the film), also readily available as The Producers (the acclaimed 2005 film musical adaptation of the acclaimed stage musical of the acclaimed film of the disasterous attempt to stage a disasterous musical), which should be an easy watch. ;)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: December 01, 2016, 09:26:40 am »

The closest I've ever come to ballet is the Black Swan and Billy Elliot. Never seen an opera, unless musicals county, in which case I still haven't seen anyone live (that I can remember).
Let me direct you at Gilbert and Sullivan's operettas, if done decently well.
"I've never seen a Gilbert and Sullivan work."
"What, never?"
"No, never!"
"What, never?"
"Hardly ever."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: December 01, 2016, 09:40:16 am »

Let me direct you at Gilbert and Sullivan's operettas, if done decently well. There'll almost certainly be some Am-Dram group near you preparing to stage one or other of them. If nothing else, you'll be humming the tunes. (You almost certainly already know the accompaniment to The Major-General's Song (Pirates Of Penzance), so often used for other things.)  The words in such a patter-song can be a bit obtuse (late Victorian topicality doesn't travel seemlessly through the years, and then there's social-geography to worry about, but it is particularly traditional for I Have A Little List (Mikado) to be given a contemporary satirical verse or three) but the plots are explained mostly through the intervening spoken lines.

Or look up something from the golden age of Hollywood, like Seven Brides For Seven Brothers. Very accessible, very colourful, some interesting gender politics (enough to argue about) and mass brawling to music!

And if you enjoyed The Producers (the acclaimed 1968 film of a disasterous attempt to stage a disasterous musical), there's The Producer's (the acclaimed 2001 stage musical of the film), also readily available as The Producers (the acclaimed 2005 film musical adaptation of the acclaimed stage musical of the acclaimed film of the disasterous attempt to stage a disasterous musical), which should be an easy watch. ;)

Not American, starvabro.
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: December 01, 2016, 10:39:15 am »

Not American, starvabro.
Neither are Gilbert And Sullivan.  (Nor is Gilbert O'Sullivan, but then he's nothing to do with anything..  :P )

But I'd still say that over in not-really-the-EU-land there'll still be intrested amateur dramatics.  If not sticking to the English, perhaps doing one of the translated versions...  (And 'Merkin stuff is pervasive throughout the world, except maybe Best Korea.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: December 02, 2016, 07:30:51 am »

The FSB has issued a warning that  a cyberattack on Russian banks is imminent, carried out from Dutch soil by an Ukrainian internet company. The attack will be followed up by foreign agencies spreading unrest in the Russian financial sector.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/russische-geheime-dienst-waarschuwt-voor-cyberaanval-vanaf-nederlandse-servers~a4426607/
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: December 02, 2016, 08:13:44 am »

The FSB has issued a warning that  a cyberattack on Russian banks is imminent, carried out from Dutch soil by an Ukrainian internet company. The attack will be followed up by foreign agencies spreading unrest in the Russian financial sector.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/russische-geheime-dienst-waarschuwt-voor-cyberaanval-vanaf-nederlandse-servers~a4426607/
While I don't put it past happening (there's recent history) I'm inclined to believe this has a lot more to do with deflection, and Trumpist "accuse your opponent of things you've been doing all along".

(The choice of the link between Ukrainians on Netherlands soil attacking Russia also whiffs of a mirroring of MH17, if I let myself be oven more morbidly cynical about the possible scope of disinformation intended, but that's probably a step or two too far.)

Whoever it is who will be doing whatever it is, I wonder if a distributed device attack is the plan...

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: December 02, 2016, 08:33:41 am »

Hmmm? I don't see anything like that on both Russian news aggregators, and there are no sources/links in your article, too...
._.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: December 02, 2016, 09:26:12 am »

According to my news article, the FSB published it on their own site. It also says that the Russian central bank has confirmed they have received FSB warning about imminent cyberattacks.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 09:27:43 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: December 02, 2016, 09:58:16 am »

That it hasn't (yet!) made it to headline Russian media actually makes me less likely to think that it's a ruse for internal propoganda purpises, and might be genuine, but being withheld to not worry the People.

Unless that's what they're trying to make me think!  Those darned Russians and their mind games!  Exvactly what the CIA wants me to think!   Darnit.  Maybe it's actually Best Korea trying to cause me confusion by making me think that a CIA plot is trying to make me think tbat it's an FSB plot to try to...  *head asplode*

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: December 02, 2016, 10:04:34 am »

Hmmm? I don't see anything like that on both Russian news aggregators, and there are no sources/links in your article, too...
It's on RIA Novosti.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: December 06, 2016, 09:42:13 pm »

I'm just getting a blank page with the link Sergarr. Other than the Russian language Google translate top bar.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: December 07, 2016, 05:24:54 am »

Link works fine for me, it's probably the FSB censoring your US internets

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: December 07, 2016, 05:41:41 am »

...I guess no one has anything to say about half of all Russians working in the shadow economy? Is that "business as usual"?
._.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: December 07, 2016, 05:43:34 am »

Not too surprised. It's a logical consequence of the history of the USSR

mandatory re-link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 163