Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 165

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 198536 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #1560 on: May 23, 2017, 08:52:15 am »

What is this EU stuff doing in a non-EU thread? You already have your own, go there, Union imperialists!

Yeah! I wanted to discuss Amnesty international's report on the people purged in Turkey.
Not surprising, given what he already did to the military. Turkey is sliding full-on towards the Middle Eastern shithole, and that means that all competency must be purged.

I dunno, I'm not sure that Saudi Arabia could conduct such an effective purge.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: May 23, 2017, 09:04:30 am »

Only because they've already purged everyone that could be purged. As an obvious indicator of their high degree of "purged-ness", their military sucks beyond belief despite the ridiculous budget.
._.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: June 07, 2017, 04:35:24 am »

In Turkey, the director of Amnesty International has been arrested on grounds of supposed ties to Gülen. Amnesty Internation is outraged.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: June 07, 2017, 05:07:25 am »

In Turkey, the director of Amnesty International has been arrested on grounds of supposed ties to Gülen. Amnesty Internation is outraged.

Remember that Amnesty International released a rapport concerning the purges in Turkey a couple of weeks ago.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: June 07, 2017, 10:25:18 am »

Remember that Amnesty International released a rapport concerning the purges in Turkey a couple of weeks ago.

And that doesn't seem suspicious at all. Nah. It's not like Turkey's been going and arresting anyone that criticises it or anything. Not authoritarian in any way whatsoever.

At this point, 'supposed ties to gulen', is just shorthand for 'we don't like you and/or we don't like what you are saying and/or you are criticising us, NEVER criticise us'. They might as well be yelling 'HERETIC!'.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: June 07, 2017, 11:04:28 am »

He couldn't be more obviously if he was calling them trotskyist and sending them to Siberia.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: June 07, 2017, 04:28:40 pm »

The big news right now is ISIS attacks against Iran's parliament, in retaliation for Iran's efforts to defeat ISIS in Syria.

Russia has condemned the attacks, the west is basically "go fuck yourselves". (Iran did in fact condemn the Manchester bombing).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactions_to_the_2017_Manchester_Arena_bombing
Iran's Foreign Ministry condemned the attack and compared it to an attack on Mirjaveh, which occurred about a month prior, stating: "It is advisable that all the countries that have been victims of the extremist ideology and Takfiri terrorism get united and confront it in a serious, sincere and purposeful manner."

So you do have Iran pledging solidarity against ISIS with the West, and saying that their blood is our blood, but from the other side there's not one word of sympathy for attacks. Brown people getting blown up: fuck 'em.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 04:31:33 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: June 07, 2017, 04:35:39 pm »

Don't know about the entire west, Trump and the State Department did condemn it, however, Trump, in his statement, does then slam Iran for promoting terrorism and saying that they are at risk of falling victim to the same thing that they promote. As much as I dislike Trump, he does have a point, even though Iran isn't actually promoting the same kind of thing as what Saudi Arabia and others do.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: June 07, 2017, 04:43:23 pm »

I'd say that same point works both ways. USA sent Col James Steele to create torture units in Iraq, who tortured people who later became part of ISIS. This guy is a regular Josef  Mengele type. Apparently one journalist went to interview him and he was calmly chilling out while there was blood everywhere and the journalist could hear screaming in the background.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/mar/06/pentagon-iraqi-torture-centres-link
https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2013/mar/06/james-steele-iraq-blood-video
... "'We were interviewing James Steele in Iraq and I saw blood everywhere'" is the actual title of the second article.

the groups Iran has promoted aren't the predecessors of ISIS, so that point actually doesn't work. Hezbollah are the largest ally with Iran, and they're anti-ISIS.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 04:51:43 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: June 07, 2017, 04:50:53 pm »

Yeah, we've had a long history of doing stuff which have eventually come back to bite us in the ass, often under the guise of fighting Communism.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: June 07, 2017, 04:54:08 pm »

James Steele should have been retired. He was linked back in the 1980s to units who regularly did stuff like raping young girls and killing them by melting their face off with acid - they would then be dumped back in the village, as a warning to El Salvadorean villagers against supporting the rebels. The Reagan administration admitted that that kind of shit happened, but claims none of the US advisors knew about it (EDIT: despite the existence of such documents as the CIA prepared manual "operations in psychological warfare" which outlined similar tactics including targeted assasinations of public figures and activists).

Now, he got accused of similar shit in Iraq, circa 2004-2005. I just wanted to give you an idea just how much of a loathesome piece of shit this guy is. He's the kind of guy would have jumped at the chance to join the SS and hunt humans down.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 05:01:06 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: June 07, 2017, 05:07:33 pm »

Yeesh, why didn't the guy get court martialed for warcrimes back then?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: June 07, 2017, 05:30:05 pm »

Because Republicans. I can't answer it any better than that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Steele_(US_Colonel)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/mar/06/el-salvador-iraq-police-squads-washington
Celerino Castillo, a Senior Drug Enforcement Administration special agent who worked alongside Steele in El Salvador, says: "I first heard about Colonel James Steele going to Iraq and I said they're going to implement what is known as the Salvadoran Option in Iraq and that's exactly what happened. And I was devastated because I knew the atrocities that were going to occur in Iraq which we knew had occurred in El Salvador."
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 05:33:30 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: June 07, 2017, 06:14:50 pm »

In all fairness it was probably intentional.

I mean it isn't like the US doesn't have secret trials completely separate from civilian trials that would make such instances possible especially with higher ranking individuals.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: June 07, 2017, 06:57:55 pm »

I mean, not all of the Iranian leadership was classy after Manchester.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 165