Advanced search  

Poll

Herp?

Derp!
Derp!
Derp!
Derp!

Pages: 1 ... 927 928 [929] 930 931 ... 1328

Author Topic: Trespassers of the Multiverse: Gaiden [OOC] Compleation is a drop away...  (Read 879534 times)

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
Re: Trespassers of the Multiverse: Gaiden [OOC] Compleation is a drop away...
« Reply #13920 on: March 30, 2016, 07:43:24 am »

get possessed by a ravenous eldritch god that will hopefully eat the Trespassers :P
this is another reason why we should have a fallen london plot
its been invalidated at least as many times as idou has at this point
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13921 on: March 30, 2016, 08:26:15 am »

-snip-

Sounds cool as heck to me. It's definitely not the best time for me to start up a new game, but I'll keep it in mind for later. Certainly sounds rather interesting.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13922 on: March 30, 2016, 08:28:46 am »

If we're just going to suggest plot stuff then I'd like to suggest the following:

Have the appearance, nature and behavior of the Trespassers reflect the war effort. If the war effort's losing or just getting started, then the Trespassers should basically be upstarts. The weak, who, through consuming the denizens of the frontier worlds, have grown stronger. Basically, what's currently being fought: entities that clearly resemble what they mimic in both appearance, capabilities and behavior.

However, as the campaign drags on, and assuming the defenders are actually winning, the Trespassers should slowly change, as the upstarts are destroyed and the more powerful ones begin to starve as their intrusions are pushed back. Eventually, the party should no longer be fighting bosses (regulars foes are still fine) that just take a form appropriate to a world but rather ones who do not. Ones who, in another time could have devoured entire worlds without a thought, who would rend apart deities as if they were mere insects, whose very presences made reality unravel. The emaciated husks of old gods, dangerous but mere shadows of what they once were, starved by set back after set back. They should, if anything recognizable even remains, be based on the fallen figures of universes that no longer exist, or amalgamations of numerous battle-torn worlds.

They should be still powerful enough to put up a fight (and certainly not easier than their predecessors), yet weakened enough that their wretched state becomes known. Perhaps, every now and then they'll try to use some sort of attack, something that they could cast with the merest thought before but which they are far too weak to use now; perhaps they'll start suffering from fear effects, sometimes even covering for reasons they cannot even understand as residual instincts from their assimilated prey screaming at them to run; or perhaps they'll just be broken, already in a critical state by the time the battle even begins yet still having more health than those who came before. The battles should focus more and more on exploiting their weaknesses, rather than focusing on the party's strengths, more on stamping out a great threat that still has a chance to regain its former glory, than on repelling growing intruders.

This is for a few reasons, firstly, it'll bring something new to the table after everyone's figured out how to use their characters in tandem, what the optimal action sequences are and whatnot. It'll force them to think on their feet again, to win battles based more on chiseling away at the cracks in their foe's armor than on just smashing them apart with overwhelming force. Secondly, it gives a sense of progress, that circumstances are changing, that their actions matter. It goes from fighting the familiar to fighting the unknown, foes from settings that might not even resemble any particularly well known piece of fiction, or which are gestalt entities.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, it gives a sense of accomplishment. Often in films, it is in the darkest hour whereupon victory is snatched, yet this doesn't leave players in a game feeling too accomplished, for even fools have their rare strokes of brilliance, and tragic figures their moments of fortune. No, by slowly and systematically crushing your foe, by seeing as their ranks fall apart revealing the starved remnants of those who could once erase entire worlds, that is a far more profound sense of accomplishment.

Knowing that it isn't because you won here or there, but rather because you won and kept on winning, that your foe could've recovered yet you're still forcing them back. There'd still be tension, for you will know that in the beginning you too were on the brink, and that your foe may recover just the same should you fail. But also perhaps even more compelling, living on the knife's edge for so long dulls it, to stand beneath the Sword of Damocles day in day out brews apathy. Here, you're not fighting for the same reason of "because otherwise everyone dies" every single time, you'll be fighting to ensure your recent victories were not in vain, fighting to keep the ground you only just earned, fighting because your actions made a difference and you'll see that change through.

And in the end, to face monstrosities that were once too terrible to even comprehend; to prevail in hard-fought battles against them yet knowing that compared to all the stories, they were disappointments; to perhaps even in the briefest moments in the those sleepless nights to feel pity for them; that is when you feel like you're winning. To know that you've ruined your foes so thoroughly, that you've hurled from the loftiest heights of grace, that you've made them reel from your onslaughts, that's when you feel like you've accomplished something truly impressive.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13923 on: March 30, 2016, 08:30:48 am »

emp
what are you smoking
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #13925 on: March 30, 2016, 08:34:48 am »

I don't know what he's smoking but for god's sake, get him more.

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13926 on: March 30, 2016, 08:35:56 am »

he's already had too much
he'll die of overdose, kj
is that what you want
is that what you want, kj
carrot cakeu

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13927 on: March 30, 2016, 08:36:24 am »

screw getting him more
get me some

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #13928 on: March 30, 2016, 08:39:48 am »

he's already had too much
he'll die of overdose, kj
is that what you want
is that what you want, kj
I just want to run the crafting so people stop getting mad ;_;

screw getting him more
get me some
no elf, is dangeraf

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13929 on: March 30, 2016, 08:42:24 am »

I have no life, and also want to, but I would need just as much approval to run crafting.

Misery

Also, I like the idea of bosses starting weak, with trespassers fattening them up as "healers".
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #13930 on: March 30, 2016, 08:47:01 am »

It would be interesting to see an enemy try to capitalize on the PLAYERS' weaknesses.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13931 on: March 30, 2016, 08:47:41 am »

*scribbles down notes*

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13932 on: March 30, 2016, 08:56:04 am »

It would be interesting to see an enemy try to capitalize on the PLAYERS' weaknesses.
what weaknesses
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13933 on: March 30, 2016, 08:59:18 am »

A lot of what I just posted was a combination of sadism and influences from Dark Souls. I mean, the striking feature of the game to me was to see all these gods and heroes of old built up to mythical proportions only for them to be complete and utter disappointments. Don't get me wrong, they're still difficult as all hell from what I heard, but they do not live up to what the lore said about them, their sorry fates serving to highlight how ruined the world is.

The wise kings of New Londo have fallen to their own folly, sealed away beneath the corpse-ridden city that they once ruled.
Sir Artorias is dead, and when you do see him in life, he is already a madman, driven insane by the foe he could not vanquish.
Lord's Blade Ciaran is gone, her ring left by the grave of her comrade. She was last seen alone at Artoria's grave, an assassin in the light of day, parting with her weapons, not a single mention of those under her command.
Hawkeye Gough has lost his sight and sits carving wood atop a tower. He cripples a beast with skill that echoes his glory days yet is unable to finish it off.
Dragon Slayer Ornstein stands guard over a mere illusion in Anor Londo, the city of the gods who forsook it long ago.
Nito, First of the Undead has been weakened, his power siphoned away in his sleep by a wretch as pathetic as Pinwheel, who is barely even a boss with all that newfound power.
And what of Gwyn, Lord of Sunlight? The god whose bolts stripped the very immortality from the everlasting dragons? A husk. A burnt husk, no better than a common hollow. A lunatic who swings at you with bestial desperation driven insane by the agony of burning in the kiln of the first flame, just to prolong an ultimately doomed age. He can barely use fire, let alone sunlight in this state. A far cry from a god.

So, I figured, well, what if in a game like this, with foes built up as being that powerful, what better way to make it memorable and make players feel accomplished than to have their actions inflict such a fate against their foes? Instead of depressing, it'll be empowering! :P

what weaknesses
Its damage doubles for every non-scaling Perk, and redundant action the target has :P
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13934 on: March 30, 2016, 09:12:52 am »

this game is about shipping and fun, not savoring your kills of horrifying monsters
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 927 928 [929] 930 931 ... 1328