Advanced search  

Poll

Herp?

Derp!
Derp!
Derp!
Derp!

Pages: 1 ... 1109 1110 [1111] 1112 1113 ... 1328

Author Topic: Trespassers of the Multiverse: Gaiden [OOC] Compleation is a drop away...  (Read 883897 times)

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
Re: Trespassers of the Multiverse: Gaiden [OOC] Compleation is a drop away...
« Reply #16650 on: April 16, 2016, 06:17:06 pm »

Stickers are part of the merchandise, yes.
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #16651 on: April 16, 2016, 06:18:33 pm »

FUCK YOU
*jumps through the wall*
there are no z-axis walls in smash 4, try again
*it is to late, he is already gone*

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16652 on: April 16, 2016, 06:20:41 pm »

that's not how it works
Black lives matter.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #16653 on: April 16, 2016, 06:46:01 pm »

[desperate attempt to keep people from derailing the plot #230354]

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16654 on: April 16, 2016, 06:47:37 pm »

the only way is to get rid of the problem
[cocks tranq pistol]

also, really, that was wilson's first combat in a few hundred pages and it wasn't even "traditional" combat
Black lives matter.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16655 on: April 16, 2016, 06:50:14 pm »

I'm trying to shy away a little from traditional combat in this plot by virtue of it being quite long and also somewhat difficult to keep track of so many people. There will be some, but it will be more of a mix between freeform and traditional combat.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16656 on: April 16, 2016, 06:51:34 pm »

Timebomb works like a reversed Hatred Stacks, having talked with san about it, I made the formula so that it deals stacks equal to the current baseline for average DPT, which is about 16, Timebomb could work similarly, but with a scaling bonus for having ot go on for too long.

My thinking is it deals 3d6+Current turnX2 per turn of waiting damage.

So if you made a 1 turn timebomb, it would deal on average, 10+2 Damage, but if you made it last 6 turns, it would be (10x6)+(2+4+6+8+10+12) Damage total, or about 102 damage, which when divided by 6, is exactly 17 damage per turn on average, and allow bonuses to affect it, so it can make up for RES negating part of that.
It doesn't ignore RES. It's just that it's damage is a single Basic Attack multiplied by the number of Stacks, which is less affected by RES than performing a number of Basic Attacks equal to the number of stacks.

Furthermore, I strongly disagree with having stat-independent damage for it. If we're using the average DPT then it would be overpowered on a character with low defensive stats, and underpowered on a character with high defensive stats. I mean, on seriously, on the sort of damage-dealing characters you could reasonably expect to use this, they'd be better off using a regular Damage Over Time effect instead of this, which has the added bonus of not using an entire Perk Slot or having such high cooldown.

As I've said, it has similar to Heroic Barrage in nature. Both can only hit at earliest on Turn 6, have 5 Turn Cooldowns, deal damage in terms of Basic Damage, and have some RES piercing capabilities (Heroic Barrage is a multi-hit that ignores armor; Timebomb has no innate RES piercing, it's more just it's a single powerful attack so RES only subtracts from it once). Albeit with a completely different set of drawbacks (30% RES debuff versus the enemy knowing exactly when it will hit, being able to mitigate the damage in advance with dispel, and having to blow an entire Perk Slot on this Action).

I mean, you've made a comparison to Hatred Stacks which is making me think that Sanure's concern is that other Actions may also capitalize on using Timebomb Stacks as a unique resource. If that is a concern, then allow me to add an additional property to Timebomb: Timebomb Stacks cannot be "spent" by any Action, Perk, Item, or Environmental Effect. They exist solely for the purpose of this Action, and only this Action.

It is simply a heavy-hitting Burst Damage Action with rather unique drawbacks.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16657 on: April 16, 2016, 06:53:30 pm »

Actually, Heroic Barrage, like Mankai, hits on Turn 5. The first turn counts towards the five-turn count.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16658 on: April 16, 2016, 06:57:40 pm »

Okay, which turn would this hit on then? Since the Timebomb Stacks detonate after 5 Turns. Would that include the turn they were applied on?

Also is there any reason why Sanure wants some convoluted formula that requires estimating the average DPT instead of just something in terms of Basic Attack? Or is it just a model for estimating how many Stacks there should be? Because if so, it's probably best to use that character's Average Basic Attack or DPT than universal DPT.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 06:59:56 pm by Empiricist »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16659 on: April 16, 2016, 06:59:44 pm »

I'm trying to shy away a little from traditional combat in this plot by virtue of it being quite long and also somewhat difficult to keep track of so many people. There will be some, but it will be more of a mix between freeform and traditional combat.
good, traditional sucks
Black lives matter.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16660 on: April 16, 2016, 07:00:23 pm »

I think we've learned by now that Sanure, for all his skill, has a bit of an obsession with complex systems (Alterverse being one very bad example). No offense, Sanure, we still love you~

Assuming it was set on turn 1, turn 5, just like Heroic Barrage.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16661 on: April 16, 2016, 07:15:40 pm »

Okay, so how does Timebomb look? Want a more in-depth explanation for what it's actual purpose is?

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16662 on: April 16, 2016, 07:17:53 pm »

Yes.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #16663 on: April 16, 2016, 07:30:30 pm »

Edit* Nevermind, poor complaint.
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16664 on: April 16, 2016, 07:32:58 pm »

Okay so with Heroic Barrage, it's a "Hit Harder" attack. What you'll be looking to do is to deal enough damage at the right time, likely with allied support, to make the RES penalty worth it. You're going to want to Deep Pass it, to see if you can get a buffer to counteract the RES penalty, to see if your own attack won't cripple you. It's an attack to be made when an opportunity presents itself.

Timebomb is not that. It exists to make opportunities. In fact, I don't expect it to hit at anywhere near full power most of the time. Especially not if it gets upgraded to have some additional crippling effects. It's simply too powerful and too easily thwarted to ignore. The trick is to read the target's reaction and exploit that. They start dispelling it stack by stack? Burn. Poison. Either they try dispelling those effects and get blasted when the remaining stacks go off, or they gimp the timebomb while the Burn and Poison rack up damage on them. Doesn't seem to be reacting? I's probably going to try and mitigate or negate the damage somehow. Use Shieldbreaker style attacks on the turn of detonation, while everyone else just heals and reapplies buffs since it'll likely be too busy to attack. Stacking up defenses? Counteract with debuffs and let it waste actions it could have spent attacking.

Timebomb is a threat, a distraction. Something that makes enemies easier to predict, or which forces them on the defensive. It's a battlefield control tool, something to force foes into actions that the party may exploit. Though if for whatever reason they don't mitigate it at all, the heavy damage will surely make them regret it.
Pages: 1 ... 1109 1110 [1111] 1112 1113 ... 1328